Twins Turbo "get's it" - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #21
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

What does "get's it" mean, and who is being quoted?
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:06 PM   #22
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,485
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnscar View Post
I've been throwing the idea into Andrews head but it really isn't needed on the BP.
Oh. I didn't realize our stock oil pump/system was fine on the track and crankcase vacuum doesn't matter.

I hear ya though, if it ain't broke don't fix it right
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:20 PM   #23
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,196
Total Cats: 2,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
What does "get's it" mean, and who is being quoted?
get it in the butt
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #24
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Batavia, IL
Posts: 604
Total Cats: 0
Default

Speaking of dry sumps, do want:
Name:  IMG_0231enginerhs.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  39.1 KB
Cococarbine3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #25
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,897
Total Cats: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
So who's going to be the first of us to run a dry sump?
ME ME ME ME........Well probably not. Price made my butt pucker.
miata2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:59 PM   #26
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 277
Total Cats: 4
Default

Then there is this:

http://speedhunters.com/media/p/147644.aspx

I haven't found any additional info on it yet, but you could swallow a few kids with those intake pipes/turbos.
Sam TII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:03 AM   #27
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,196
Total Cats: 2,584
Default

18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:12 AM   #28
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,485
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam TII View Post
Then there is this:

http://speedhunters.com/media/p/147644.aspx

I haven't found any additional info on it yet, but you could swallow a few kids with those intake pipes/turbos.
There's plenty of great build photos on twins turbo's site on that viper. I really like the way they build the intake manifold runners, and they even did a dual plenum style inlet to the intercooler, with home made dome end caps...slick!









Haha!
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:17 AM   #29
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,196
Total Cats: 2,584
Default

n00bish off topic question, but: what is the benefit from these "dual plenum" end tanks and intake manifolds? I remember in some thread there was a discussion on this but forget which
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:24 AM   #30
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,485
Total Cats: 248
Default

I'd imagine a better/more even flow distribution across the core (or second plenum in the case of an intake manifold).

Is what twinsturbo fabbed significantly better than just having typical tapered endtanks? I dunno. Looks more trick. Probably something the other turbo vipers don't have which is generally very important to that type of customer.
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:43 AM   #31
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
Probably something the other turbo vipers don't have which is generally very important to that type of customer.
lol @ protouring bottoms
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:31 AM   #32
Senior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Floriduh
Posts: 882
Total Cats: 0
Default

When the hell did Hustler become a mod?
soflarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:56 AM   #33
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: onion city,ca
Posts: 428
Total Cats: 1
Default

where is the expense in dry sump? the pump? i'm thinking used circle track/dirt track pumps... IE: http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1...em.html?page=1

pan is 600ish from are. then u just need adapter to block and a oil can + lines?
jasonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:59 AM   #34
MT Pony Underground
iTrader: (6)
 
Nagase's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,811
Total Cats: 0
Default

Complete system here:

http://www.moroso.com/articles/artic...mpSystems.html

Another pic:


Last edited by Nagase; 11-21-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Nagase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:47 AM   #35
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 620
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post
where is the expense in dry sump? the pump? i'm thinking used circle track/dirt track pumps... IE: http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1...em.html?page=1

pan is 600ish from are. then u just need adapter to block and a oil can + lines?
Biggest ticket items are the pump, pan, drive hardware, and lines. I'd be wary of used pumps unless you know the guy selling personally. The reason a fair number of those pumps are for sale is because they ingested engine bits. Parts for the pumps are expensive.

Oh, and the system in the OP is a 5 stage (4 scavenge, 1 pressure stage), which is complete overkill. We typically use 3 stage systems on most cars, a couple of the big Can-Am engines are 4 stage (500+ cid BBC's) and they provide more than adequate oiling.

While the systems are expensive, I think a BP would benefit personally.
Rennkafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:53 AM   #36
MT Pony Underground
iTrader: (6)
 
Nagase's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,811
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennkafer View Post
While the systems are expensive, I think a BP would benefit personally.
Can you think of any engine that wouldn't get /some/ benefit from it? I don't think that's being argued. We're just very very cheap here and proud of it.
Nagase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:09 PM   #37
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 620
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagase View Post
Can you think of any engine that wouldn't get /some/ benefit from it? I don't think that's being argued. We're just very very cheap here and proud of it.
Actually up further in the thread someone said they didn't think the BP would benefit.

I know people here can be cheap sometimes and for street driven engines a dry sump makes no sense... but when you spend $4-5k on an engine, then run it as hard on track as a few here do it starts making more sense. While the dry sump system is expensive, you will be saving some money in other areas. No need for billet oil pump gears, accusumps, pan baffling, all of which people spend money on in search of good oil control.
Rennkafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:56 PM   #38
Trackspeed Engineering
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 937
Total Cats: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennkafer View Post
Actually up further in the thread someone said they didn't think the BP would benefit.

I know people here can be cheap sometimes and for street driven engines a dry sump makes no sense... but when you spend $4-5k on an engine, then run it as hard on track as a few here do it starts making more sense. While the dry sump system is expensive, you will be saving some money in other areas. No need for billet oil pump gears, accusumps, pan baffling, all of which people spend money on in search of good oil control.
I wasn't saying the BP won't benefit.... of course just about any engine would benefit.
What I meant is that the BP doesn't have oiling issues like some other motors do. For example, LS motors require either an accusump or dry sump for track usage. If you don't have either of these (even with extra baffling added to the pan like this http://www.improvedracing.com/produc...products_id=30), you will have low oil pressure and starve the motor on track in high speed left hand sweepers. The BP does not have a problem with oiling like that; no extra sump baffling or accusump is required to maintain oil pressure on track (with the exception of a split second while braking).
That being said, any engine will benefit from having a vacuum in the crankcase and freeing up a little power.
crashnscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:49 PM   #39
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 620
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnscar View Post
The BP does not have a problem with oiling like that; no extra sump baffling or accusump is required to maintain oil pressure on track (with the exception of a split second while braking).
That being said, any engine will benefit from having a vacuum in the crankcase and freeing up a little power.
I'd gotten the impression from Andrew that there was more than a split second of low pressure under braking... but that might just have been my misunderstanding. Might be worth datalogging to see just how low it gets and how long it stays that way if you haven't already.

Having the vacuum in the crankcase helps with blowby too... shouldn't fill the catch can quite as much.
Rennkafer is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 Yesterday 09:00 PM
WTB MP62 (Hotside) (NB2) Rick02R WTB 3 01-03-2016 08:18 PM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
ISO 1.6 turbo cast iron manifold cale saurage DIY Turbo Discussion 16 10-01-2015 12:25 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:21 AM.