Unmanned SUV ridiculous NASA relevance debate thread - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #1
Hear me Meow
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
skidude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Outside Portland Maine
Posts: 1,994
Total Cats: 13
Default Unmanned SUV ridiculous NASA relevance debate thread

I can't believe I'm the first to make a thread for NASA's latest big achievement. I can't wait for the high-res pictures without dust covers. I want to see where some of you people came from!

NASA - Mars Science Laboratory, the Next Mars Rover
skidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bmore
Posts: 78
Total Cats: 6
Default

tincan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
Slowest Progress Ever
iTrader: (26)
 
thirdgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The coal ridden hills of Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,808
Total Cats: 183
Default

As long as it doesn''t look as fake as the moon landing did...but that was decades ago. Hollywood and government funded movies really have come a long way since then.
thirdgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (4)
 
MartinezA92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 1,702
Total Cats: 28
Default

I don't know about you guys but I'm ------- excited.
MartinezA92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
blaen99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,112
Total Cats: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgen View Post
As long as it doesn''t look as fake as the moon landing did...but that was decades ago. Hollywood and government funded movies really have come a long way since then.
Attached Thumbnails
Unmanned SUV ridiculous NASA relevance debate thread-tumblr_lvps7vmoy61qdna0x.jpg  
blaen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bloomfield, Michigan
Posts: 5,682
Total Cats: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgen View Post
As long as it doesn''t look as fake as the moon landing did...but that was decades ago. Hollywood and government funded movies really have come a long way since then.
So you're saying we should expect Optimus Prime picture anytime now?
buffon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Shalimar, FL
Posts: 965
Total Cats: 7
Default

I stayed up Sunday to "watch" it. Pretty much it was a room full of people just waiting for the right signals to come back. Was pretty tense. Pretty awesome to see those first 64x64 pictures. If you look at how that rover was landed....just amazing stuff. Hopefully this will rekindle some interest in space in 'Merica.
messiahx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 1,196
Total Cats: 12
Default

Why are we wasting money on this? How many millions did this cost?
2ndGearRubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,131
Total Cats: 598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGearRubber View Post
Why are we wasting money on this? How many millions did this cost?
If it wasnt for human curiosity you'd still be living in a cave and riding a horse funny guy.
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #10
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bloomfield, Michigan
Posts: 5,682
Total Cats: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGearRubber View Post
Why are we wasting money on this? How many millions did this cost?
This kind of "waste of money" always yields great technological and cultural advances. Please get out under the rock you live more often.
buffon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:34 AM   #11
Elite Member
iTrader: (46)
 
Stein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,812
Total Cats: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGearRubber View Post
Why are we wasting money on this? How many millions did this cost?
Article in the paper said $2.5 billion for the vehicle and launch.
Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:25 AM   #12
Elite Member
iTrader: (4)
 
MartinezA92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 1,702
Total Cats: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGearRubber View Post
Why are we wasting money on this? How many millions did this cost?
Shut up.

This is always a horrible argument. If anything we should stop wasting money on other stupid ---- and give it to NASA.

Human advancement >
MartinezA92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #13
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
kotomile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 7,578
Total Cats: 40
Default

It cost a hell of a lot less than the olympics did, for starters. And we (collectively) do that every 2 years.
kotomile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 1,196
Total Cats: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinezA92 View Post
Shut up.

This is always a horrible argument. If anything we should stop wasting money on other stupid ---- and give it to NASA.

Human advancement >

Or feed starving people, or build nuclear power plants, or breeding programs for endangered animals, or cut taxes, or create new pharmaceuticals, or finish FailFlora's miata.....

I've had this argument many times. It comes down to, do we want to do things that benefit people; or spend billions inflating our egos? Tell me sir, what great knowledge that will help create food, energy, and medicine will we learn from a currently dead planet that lost it's atmosphere before our species existed?


Attached Thumbnails
Unmanned SUV ridiculous NASA relevance debate thread-24621462.jpg  
2ndGearRubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #15
Hear me Meow
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
skidude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Outside Portland Maine
Posts: 1,994
Total Cats: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGearRubber View Post
I've had this argument many times.
That tells me it's an unpopular opinion that you bring up whenever you feel you have an audience. It's unpopular because it's stupid, and you should feel stupid.
skidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 1,196
Total Cats: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidude View Post
That tells me it's an unpopular opinion that you bring up whenever you feel you have an audience. It's unpopular because it's stupid, and you should feel stupid.
Explain to me what we gain from mars. Rocks? Red dirt? Frozen water?



This is where the argument usually ends, because the guys riding NASA's dick, can give me ZERO examples of how mars will benefit us. The Moon is the same basic thing, and it's closer. Sure, we know more about it, the 1% of the population that will know basic scientific principles.
2ndGearRubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 1,196
Total Cats: 12
Default

Black and white fail.

2ndGearRubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #18
Hear me Meow
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
skidude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Outside Portland Maine
Posts: 1,994
Total Cats: 13
Default

I don't understand why that picture is fail, but anyway...

The point of Curiosity is to explore Mars and gather information for potential manned missions and colonies. Eventually Earth is going to cross paths with a comet or we will ruin it and it would be nice if there were somewhere we could go to avoid certain death. Once we know what the end of the earth looks like, it would be too late to start exploring options.

Feel free to volunteer yourself to stay on Earth if that day comes sooner than expected.

That's just the one benefit I could think of off the top of my head. History of life, the solar system, and the universe is other good stuff to explore.

I'm glad some people weren't as stubborn and cheap as you when explorers asked for money to sail west a few hundred years ago.
skidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #19
Elite Member
iTrader: (4)
 
MartinezA92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 1,702
Total Cats: 28
Default

This thread went from awesome to painful. The fact that you think going to Mars is an ego inflation tool makes me want to push a bullet through my skull with my bare hands.

Also think about this:

Spend money on saving some species on Earth now....OR

Spend money on saving LIFE later.



---- YEAH, NASA. Have you seen what this country spends money on? NASA's funding is pathetic, don't act like we give them tons of money.
MartinezA92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 1,196
Total Cats: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinezA92 View Post
This thread went from awesome to painful. The fact that you think going to Mars is an ego inflation tool makes me want to push a bullet through my skull with my bare hands.

Also think about this:

Spend money on saving some species on Earth now....OR

Spend money on saving LIFE later.

Yeah, we'll put all the life on a planet with no atmosphere. And it costs $4,729 per pound to chuck something into orbit. Good luck saving the redwoods. I hear solar wind is great for chloroform.

We went to the moon for 1 reason. Just one. Sputnik 1. Had the Russians not launched that gloried radio, this conversation wouldn't be happening.

I assume your point infers that life exists no where else in the universe, but earth?



I will agree that NASA has a small(er) budget than many other programs.
2ndGearRubber is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 58 12-13-2017 10:04 PM
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM
Leaky Wilwoods mx592 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 1 10-01-2015 01:45 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:52 AM.