Unmanned SUV ridiculous NASA relevance debate thread - Page 5 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #81
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,776
Total Cats: 1,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy85 View Post
Cost to put a highly sophisticated robot on mars: 2.5 billion.

TSA Budget for 2012: 7.85 Billion.

There are many other areas where we should be complaining about spending vs benefit to mankind before NASA.
This is one of the few areas I am completely ok with government spending money. I am a full blown anarchist and think the governments should be disbanded, but as long as we have one, funding NASA is one thing I will never have a problem with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
having a mars rover cup your *****? priceless.
I am flying for a business trip next week. If I could just have a mars rover cup my ***** I would instead of what ever guy is going to do it.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #82
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,366
Total Cats: 1,329
Default

Have I already mentioned what a stupid fucking thread this is?
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #83
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,776
Total Cats: 1,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Have I already mentioned what a stupid fucking thread this is?
No. How ------- stupid is it?
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #84
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,366
Total Cats: 1,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA6C-Guy View Post
Imagine if some of the great explorers, philosophers and inventors of the last several centuries took that kind of asinine stance.
I don't have to.



If you don't think that scientific advancement is worth spending money on, you're probably not intelligent enough to understand the benefits that scientific advancement brings.
Attached Thumbnails
Unmanned SUV ridiculous NASA relevance debate thread-darkages.gif  
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #85
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,366
Total Cats: 1,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
No. How ------- stupid is it?
I would rather watch an entire season of TLC's "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" back to back than read this atrocious, insulting train wreck of a thread again.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #86
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
If you don't think that scientific advancement is worth spending money on, you're probably not intelligent enough to understand the benefits that scientific advancement brings.
If that's what you think is being debated, then you're probably not intelligent to participate in the discussion anyway.


EDIT: I'm leaving comment up, because I don't like ninja edits, but I regret posting it. It's over the line and I was just being a smartass.

But seriously, is that really what you think is being debated? Is that the full complexity of your argument? Science is good, therefore spending on it is justified. No consideration of what it costs? The short-term benefits? The long-term benefits? The opportunity cost of not using that money elsewhere? The debate between private and public funding? ANYTHING at all?

Healthcare is good, therefore spending on it is justified.
Education is good, therefore spending on it is justified.
Roads are good, therefore spending on it is justified.
Food is good, therefore spending on it is justified.
Etc.

There's no nuance there at all. It's not saying anything useful. They are empty statements. And shouting down anyone who questions whether NASA is worth the cost or not (or whether it's the best approach to scientific research) isn't an argument, it's just groupthink.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #87
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,366
Total Cats: 1,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
Is that the full complexity of your argument? Science is good, therefore spending on it is justified. No consideration of what it costs? The short-term benefits? The long-term benefits? The opportunity cost of not using that money elsewhere? The debate between private and public funding? ANYTHING at all?
You want complexity? Bold is mine.

Quote:
Healthcare is good, therefore spending on it is justified. $846 billion in FY2012.
Education is good, therefore spending on it is justified. $153 billion in FY2012.
Roads are good, therefore spending on it is justified. $103 billion in FY2012.
Food is good, therefore spending on it is justified. $113 billion for food/nutrition assistance in FY2012
Etc.
We spend $8.3 billion dollars a year on ------- prisons, and $4.5 billion dollars a year on congressional salary, expenses, and maintenance of legislative buildings - and you're seriously going to bitch and moan about $2.5 billion ONE TIME to go to ------- Mars?

Opportunity cost indeed.



e: budget source: http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/...71_801#usgs302
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #88
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
you're seriously going to bitch and moan about $2.5 billion ONE TIME to go to ------- Mars?
No, I'm going to "bitch and moan" when people claim that NASA should be funded without question or debate, and try to shout down anyone that dares challenge their opinion.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #89
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,366
Total Cats: 1,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
No, I'm going to "bitch and moan" when people claim that NASA should be funded without question or debate, and try to shout down anyone that dares challenge their opinion.
I've yet to see any reasonable debate. All I see is one guy complaining because he personally has not seen the tangible, immediate, short-term benefits from every NASA mission ever executed. Forgive me for thinking that's not an argument worth rebutting.

e: I'm not referring to you, mgeoffriau.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #90
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 3,110
Total Cats: 127
Default

Its in our nature to be explorers. Beyond this discussion 90% of the population would choose to fund NASA or any kind of exploration. I'm always 100% in for any project that gains us knowledge. If you guys think we are the only ones in this universe your idiots.

How Big Is Earth Compared to the Universe?
jacob300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #91
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,284
Total Cats: 178
Default

Gargantuan image that is on-topic to the original post:

Click for full size infographic

Scrappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #92
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
fooger03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 4,132
Total Cats: 187
Default

AH HA!!!

Rover is the precursor to post-modern nuclear powered transportation!!!!
fooger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:06 AM   #93
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,669
Total Cats: 36
Default

WTF do people think they did? Ship 2.5 billion in ones to Mars and wait for strippers to find a way to get there? Did all the cash simply evaporate when it went to NASA never to be seen or exchanged again? Did JPL get all parts an labor for free while lighting stogies with Franklins? ****. That cash went to high-end industries that employ valuble people who go forth and actually ******* get **** done for a living. No wonder people are bitter. That kind of **** is considered evil now. How insensitive to turn a decent paycheck while using your brain and science to attain a goal.
Sparetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:26 AM   #94
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 951
Total Cats: -252
Default

I think the waste was in not sending congress to Mars
wannafbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #95
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
blaen99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,112
Total Cats: 27
Default

Decided to revive this thread for one reason...

wtfnasa?

Here's wtf NASA has done for you.
blaen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #96
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 1,196
Total Cats: 12
Default

And NONE of that could have been done by ANYONE else, except NASA. Only NASA can do R&D work, no one else.


Oh, and LOL at lightweight wheel chairs. Crippled autox anyone?
2ndGearRubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #97
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGearRubber View Post
And NONE of that could have been done by ANYONE else, except NASA. Only NASA can do R&D work, no one else.


Oh, and LOL at lightweight wheel chairs. Crippled autox anyone?
That's not the point. They DID do it. If you are proposing privatizing space exploration, I'm all for that. But as usual, I have no idea what you are really proposing or talking about.

I'm highly irritated by people at work who had no idea what Curiosity was, and that we had an SUV sized rover on Mars. People should be ******* blown away by the fact that we as humans have such objects on other planets, exploring and conducting science experiments all automatically. Instead people would rather watch their favorite retarded reality show and live in their own little pointless box of a universe that they have made themselves. I guess that is their right to do so, but goddamn it irritates me that people have no interest in such things.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #98
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,366
Total Cats: 1,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
I think the waste was in not sending congress to Mars
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #99
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,366
Total Cats: 1,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGearRubber View Post
Oh, and LOL at lightweight wheel chairs. Crippled autox anyone?
Is anyone else incredibly offended by this remark?
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #100
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Is anyone else incredibly offended by this remark?
No more so than the constant pedophilia jokes on this forum.

Attached Thumbnails
Unmanned SUV ridiculous NASA relevance debate thread-bs16.jpg  
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 58 12-13-2017 10:04 PM
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM
Leaky Wilwoods mx592 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 1 10-01-2015 01:45 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:03 PM.