Who knows anything about the law? - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-16-2008, 04:27 PM   #21
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,899
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

This is America!!!! No one is ever responsible for their own actions, we are always innocent. Isn't it time to pay your Queen tribute?
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:54 PM   #22
Elite Member
iTrader: (39)
 
Zabac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: High Point NC
Posts: 4,854
Total Cats: 8
Default

reddroptop-i see why you may think that, but look at it this way...
if a cop has proof (radar, accident report, etc.) you are guilty from the start
if the cop has no evidence, why do you need to prove anything? he has no evidence that this kid was speeding/racing...how did he conclude that these two cars were racing? only if they plead guilty...
I would still plead not guilty and kinda do what dopplegangerftw says
Zabac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:58 PM   #23
Senior Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Uniontown, OH
Posts: 510
Total Cats: 0
Default

The cop has to prove beyond reasonable doubt that you were speeding. With no print out from the radar gun he can't. So use that as your argument. All you have to say is "So, how can you, beyond reasonable doubt, prove that I was speeding?", and when he can't furnish any evidence, you are off the hook. Doppelgänger is correct also with having an arraignment. Plead not guilty, and you should be good to go.
hackerchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:08 PM   #24
Elite Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4,921
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
This is America!!!! No one is ever responsible for their own actions, we are always innocent. Isn't it time to pay your Queen tribute?
Yes it is, I'll go spend a penny. Isn't it time you go make war on someone?
jayc72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:09 PM   #25
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,899
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

nah we are already spread thin, gotta wait it out and find another easy target.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:17 PM   #26
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,797
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackerchris View Post
The cop has to prove beyond reasonable doubt that you were speeding. With no print out from the radar gun he can't. So use that as your argument. All you have to say is "So, how can you, beyond reasonable doubt, prove that I was speeding?", and when he can't furnish any evidence, you are off the hook. Doppelgänger is correct also with having an arraignment. Plead not guilty, and you should be good to go.
That sounds good, but not true. They can make judgment calls for reckless driving. They are trained to do things like that. Basically the OP knows he was speeding, and so does the cop. Don't lie and say you were not. That would not be a smart move on your behalf. Instead, tell the truth. Tell them you were speeding, but were not racing. That's reckless driving with no radar ticket. No radar ticket doesn't mean your off the hook for reckless.

For example I did a burnout in the minivan for about 300 feet. I wasn't speeding (since I had the e-brake applied) and the cop didn't have a radar ticket showing me going 15-20 in a 25. Still, it was careless/reckless driving by definition. I know it, he knows it. Actually, the cop wrote it up as careless since their were no other cars around, and I wasn't actually endangering anyone other than myself. By definition it was careless, but in all honesty it was pretty reckless too. The OP's case sounds reckless to me.

Another example: Running a yellow light and it turns red before you clear the intersection is considered careless. Running a red light is considered reckless, at least around here. Running a yellow light is careless because of your bad judgment call. You should have been safe and simply stopped. Running a red light is flat out reckless. You neglected to pay attention, or choose to run the red light, clearly presenting a hazard to other drivers. There was no judgment call made. Wether or not the cop has your speed at the time doesn't matter, he uses his best judgment to decide if you ran the light. He has no physical evidence, but his word holds more water than yours in court.

My best advice is plead not guilty, and explain the situation to the judge yourself, letting him know you are sincerely sorry for your naive mistake and this has been a huge wake up call for you. Let him know you made a poor decision that day, and have learned from it and will never put yourself or others in a dangerous situation like that ever again.
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:20 PM   #27
Elite Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4,921
Total Cats: 0
Default

I'm still blown away that patsmx5 had NOS on a minivan. Are you a soccer mom?
jayc72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:09 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,379
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc72 View Post
Accept responsibility for what you did. If you truely beleive you weren't in the wrong, then fight it. If you are fighting it just to avoid the penalty then you need to think of that everytime you bitch because a cop wasn't there when you needed him.

I've done my fair share of stupidity behind the wheel of a car, and the times I got caught I took it like a man and paid. **** like that teaches you a lesson.

What's the fine and the impact on your insurance if you are found guilty?
If you knew what the penalties for street racing are in some states (like CA) you would not be saying that. Plead NOT GUILTY and request a lawyer. Tell them that you are an emancipated minor and that you need a public defender. Also get yourself emancipated from your retarded parents who refuse to teach you how to use the legal system properly! Your parents should be ashamed of themselves!

Mark
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:38 PM   #29
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,899
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsmx5 View Post
Tell them you were speeding, but were not racing.


hense the not guilty plee. dont tell them anything they dont need to know. you weren't racing so you pleed not guilty. ask to take a $60 defensive deriver class in lieu of the ticket being dropped, should take 30 seconds and they'll push your through the door. here in VA at least


if you are ever even thinking of pleading guilty, you plead no contest.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:41 PM   #30
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,900
Total Cats: 0
Default

+1 on MarkP's statement. spending $750 on a cheap lawyer will pay for itself 10X fold in the comming years increase in insurance payments. with very few exceptions it is always worth it to spend a little coin and get a cheap/reasonable lawyer. you don't need an expensive bad ***, you just need someone that knows their *** from a hole in the ground.
Arkmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:54 PM   #31
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,797
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
hense the not guilty plee. dont tell them anything they dont need to know. you weren't racing so you pleed not guilty. ask to take a $60 defensive deriver class in lieu of the ticket being dropped, should take 30 seconds and they'll push your through the door. here in VA at least


if you are ever even thinking of pleading guilty, you plead no contest.
That's true. However, around here if you said everything I told him to say, even that he was speeding, I can almost guarantee they would have sympathy for the kid, and just give him a speeding fine, a reckless fine, or the drivers class. Just saying that going down the honesty path will likely get him out of the racing ticket, even if it gets him a speeding ticket. I'd rather take the speeding ticket than try to make a presentable case that I wasn't racing, and not admit I was speeding either. IMO, his odds of getting away scotch free are slim. He'd be better off to walk in there and tell the truth, explain how he was naive and has learned his lesson and bla bla bla, and walk out with a 150 dollar fine for reckless or something else a lot less severe than racing.

Oh, and here a lawyer will defend a kid for less than 750, 250 would do it. I'm just good friends with a kick-*** lawyer, so I get it for free. I'm actually friends with two lawyers, I recently built a fence for one that lives a few blocks from my house. He said let him know if I ever needed a lawyer and he'd take care of me.
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:11 PM   #32
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Delicious and Moist.
Posts: 26,327
Total Cats: 1,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedf50 View Post
Would the fact that "racing/competition of speed" is specified on the ticket matter? Or does the 23109 mean that any part of the 23109 can be applying to me, including the speed exhibition part?
The individual paragraphs under 23109 (a, b, c, etc...) are separate crimes, however they all carry pretty much the same range of penalties. I didn't read far enough to see exactly what those were.

Quote:
And I don't know anything about the public defender thing, but in juvenile court the rights are different, and I don't think you have right to a public attorney, but I'll look into it.
That part I can't much help with, but at a bare minimum you need to at least consult an attorney who specializes in traffic matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackerchris
The cop has to prove beyond reasonable doubt that you were speeding.
No, he doesn't. The officer does not even need to suggest that the defendant was speeding, since violating the speed limit is a completely separate offense from either "speed contest" or "exhibition of speed." (I've always believed that the latter should be called exhibition of torque. Technically, you can "exhibit speed" at 5mph by doing a burnout at a stop light.)

Because of the wording of the law, there is one no specific standard that must be met in order to be guilty. Much like reckless driving, Exhibition and Speed Contests are almost entirely a subjective matter. The officer will describe to the court what behavior he witnessed the defendant exhibit: traveling at a high rate of speed, in an environment conducive to competitive behavior (perhaps noting any previous arrests for similar activities which have occurred on or near the road in question) in the presence of another, presumably modified vehicle operated by an acquaintance of the defendant and also being driven in a similar manner, etc... At that point, the officer has met the standard needed for a conviction.

The defendant will then present any evidence or testimony he has to negate the statements of the officer or explain why the behavior that the officer observed was in fact not in violation of 23109.

Then the court will then find the defendant guilty.

In other words, for an offense such as this, a teenager driving a sports car in the canyons is pretty much boned right from the start. Unless you want to be bumming rides from your friends for a long time, you need professional help.
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:09 PM   #33
Senior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VT
Posts: 939
Total Cats: 0
Default

I was in traffic court last summer, One of the cases before mine was about a similar scenario. The Kids father was present. (one of the cars ended up off the "traveled portion of the road" I believe the officer cited them w/ racing resulting in an accident.

The Judge asked the father, "Did your son receive any discipline at home as a result of this ticket?"
The Father, "Yes we took away his video games for a week, and he was only allowed to drive to school."
The Judge replied, "MMM, I'll have to review the case and make my ruling later in the day"

The Kid stated one more time he wasn't racing...

IIRC, minors can loose their license til they are 21, if the judge finds what the officer cited them for.

Next was my turn in front of the judge (I'm a bit older), It was tough to bite my tongue and say something like, "Judge-Please don't take my Video games too"...

How did your parents react?
Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:05 AM   #34
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Malibu, CA
Posts: 749
Total Cats: 0
Default

Well they were understandably pissed. They got the car out of impound early by talking to the sheriff, but that wasn't so I could drive it, but just to avoid the astronomical impound fees. Couldn't drive for 30 days per the aphedavid, but I really need to drive to school seeing how far away it is, so after those 30 days I was commuting again.

There was lots of yelling and bickering, but I got to keep my videogames , seeing as I don't play them...

And another update, I took some of the advice I got on here (much better advice than what I got on some BS preachy ridiculous law forum) and talked to a lawyer, who I am meeting with along with my parents tomorrow. Hopefully he will be able to steer me in the right direction legally, and maybe even keep my license in my pocket. I definitely feel better doing this than going in blind and just being humble.

Also thanks for all of the advice that people have given me on here, seriously it has been a huge help.
speedf50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:51 AM   #35
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Saml01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,730
Total Cats: 2
Default

Get a lawyer, they really do work miracles. 500 for the lawyer + fine > points or license suspension.

Otherwise the cop is always right and you are screwed generally in cases like this, its his word against yours and he is always right.
Saml01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:27 AM   #36
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Malibu, CA
Posts: 749
Total Cats: 0
Default

Whiggity woot! I got a lawyer and had the courtdate, and wow! Thank you so much everyone who recommended to get a lawyer. I got the ticket reduced to a 1 point infraction, and got traffic school for that infraction, so nothing goes on the record! The only downside is that I got 50 hours community service and a 90 day restricted license from the juvenile judge to teach me a lesson, but I can deal with that, and 50 hours of community service kicks the **** out of no license for a year.

I'm pretty much ******* pumped about this result! Even I thought I would get my license suspended, and even more so after reading the police report.

Again, thank you to everyone for the legal advice! Miata turbo pretty much saved my *** this time. Too bad this cuts into the boost fund, oh well maybe that should wait a while anyways.
speedf50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:51 PM   #37
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Delicious and Moist.
Posts: 26,327
Total Cats: 1,926
Default

Glad to hear it worked out for you. It's hard to say what "could have been", but 50 hours & 90 days is pretty much a wrist-slap.

Would you care to share some of the details of the proceeding?
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:22 PM   #38
Junior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: santa cruz
Posts: 246
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Unless you want to be bumming rides from your friends for a long time, you need professional help.
This is all this thread really needed to hear.

I have a penchant for getting sued and I don't seem to be very good at preparing defenses for myself even when I'm outrightly innocent. And in my line of work, I see a lot of people brought to the carpet for stuff that is clearly unjust. And whenever I see people prepare their own seemingly logical defenses (or appealing to the court by admitting guilt), they come out with a big sloppy mess.

Judges' rulings are rarely logical and never predictable.

What am I saying? I've learned the hard way that, although they're expensive, lawyers provide relatively cheap insurance and you will come out ahead with less payout, less lost time and less lost sleep.

Glad you got out "cleanly".
chucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:29 PM   #39
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Malibu, CA
Posts: 749
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Glad to hear it worked out for you. It's hard to say what "could have been", but 50 hours & 90 days is pretty much a wrist-slap.

Would you care to share some of the details of the proceeding?
Well I was there with my lawyer and parents, all dressed very sharply, and we actually intended to enter a not guilty plea as this was just the arraignment. We were called into the judge's room (again, different because of juvenile system) and my lawyer saw that she had the police report and asked to see it, we went outside and read it, went back in and tried to explain some of the report(as in, not drifting like it said, and that he couldn't have known which car was squealing, and that it is almost impossible to keep all wheels away from the double yellow on that road no matter what speed you are going due to how twisty it is) and requested it be reduced to a 1 point infraction. She said that was a lot to ask and told us she would have to think about it, then a little later on she called in just my lawyer and then he came out in a few minutes with the news of it being reduced to a restricted license, 1 point infraction, 50 hrs community service, and traffic school for that infraction.

Basically it really payed off that the lawyer had a good relationship with this judge, and knew how to get it reduced to a 1 point, then eliminated by traffic school. Plus for community service I get to go and work at an animal shelter, so maybe I can get some funny cat pictures!
speedf50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:21 PM   #40
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Delicious and Moist.
Posts: 26,327
Total Cats: 1,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedf50 View Post
Basically it really payed off that the lawyer had a good relationship with this judge
Quoted for emphasis.

Regardless of anybody's personal opinions on the idea, such matters are indeed a factor in the modern judicial process, particularly as it relates to administrative hearings or bench trials, where a judge is the sole finder of fact. It is unlikely that Lionel Hutz or The Hyperchicken, for instance, would have curried similar favor.
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Koni 1150 Coilover Kit drumman83 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 2 09-25-2015 08:03 PM
SlideRuler, Need your help! Braineack Insert BS here 24 08-05-2010 03:21 AM
help me with my apartment AC problem, please hustler Insert BS here 49 06-03-2010 11:09 AM
Anyone familiar with delaware liquor laws Mach929 Insert BS here 3 05-06-2008 10:58 AM
Please proof-read my essay Joe Perez Insert BS here 9 12-30-2007 12:00 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:08 AM.