Whos been to court? - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #21
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
wear a suit!!
You mean like The Dude?
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:43 PM   #22
Elite Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Pen2_the_penguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 3,690
Total Cats: 97
Default

Sometimes the officer wont even show up.
Pen2_the_penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:51 PM   #23
meatbag
iTrader: (50)
 
gospeed81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,357
Total Cats: 26
Default

Can we start a poll yet on whether OP is gonna get screwed or not?
gospeed81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:42 PM   #24
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Falls Church, VA
Posts: 1,367
Total Cats: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94mx5red View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by turotufas View Post
If I was at fault I would just pay my fine and be glad thats all I got.
That sure cleared it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gospeed81 View Post
Can we start a poll yet on whether OP is gonna get screwed or not?
It's probably a good idea not to post details on the internet that might be used to convict you, so we don't know what happened. But since he was cited for spectating a street race, I'm going to ***-u-me it's not a case of him hanging out in the church parking lot after choir practice and an evil cop handing him a ticket out of the ******* blue. If he can't give the judge a better explanation than he's given us he's definitely screwed.
ScottFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:42 PM   #25
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Gainesville,Fl
Posts: 3,354
Total Cats: 7
Default

I'm taking this to court no matter what. The have no evidence. Lawyers said it should be an easy win and I could represent myself.

If I get fucked then I get fucked.

The funny thing is the cops know who's really doing the ****. They just suck at their jobs and they go after people like me. There's a ******* rb26 240 running from cops EVERY ******* WEEK, and they know where he lives!

I'll point out all of their flaws to the media. My friends dad owns a radio station, shouldn't be a problem.

In my case the only evidence they have is. Cop said to me, "I smell burned rubber." No **** mother ****** you just locked your ******* brakes.

Thanks to those that gave me good advice.
turotufas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:45 PM   #26
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gospeed81 View Post
Can we start a poll yet on whether OP is gonna get screwed or not?
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #27
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Livonia, Michigan
Posts: 5,684
Total Cats: 10
Default

PM you.....
buffon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #28
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Posts: 1,177
Total Cats: 27
Default

If you can do it without costing you any money - say perhaps you had the morning or afternoon off of work anyways and they don't up your fine then it is good to see the process 1st hand.

I went to court for leaving a tiny dirtbike trailer in front of my house for 1 day (has to be attached to a vehicle by law) and a got a ticket. It was under $100 - I just did not agree with the principle (it was plated and much more readily movable than a locked car). The reason for the law is that if it has to be moved in an emergency it could be a hinderence. Well you can move it with one hand and it blocks nothing. So I thought well lets go see what happens. I wore a suit and was early. The prosecuter asked if I wanted to just plead guilty and pay and I said no thanks. I got to question the bylaw officer and tried to ask him in "in his opinion did the trailer represent a hinderence to an emergency situation" and dont remember the details but he did not answer because my question was not valid or that I asked his opinion.

I tried to argue the law was wrong, not if I was guilty or not and that did not work. The judge even told me if the tire was flat on the trailer or if for any other reason I could not move it then there would be leniancy. I told the truth and took my fine like a man, though I disagreed with the principal.

Either way it was a good experience and it didn't really cost me any more money.

The judge was nice and even said in closing that the fine was probably less that then cost of a motorcross race.

I can't remember why I wasn't nervous since I can't stand public speaking. I think that the fact that I did not feel like I had done something criminal, and that I would not get in more trouble that I was ok with representing myself.

I did want to yell out as I was examining the bylaw officer " did you order a code red, did you! " but I held back for his and his familys dignity.



If everyone that got a ticket went to court the system would be overloaded and the cost of the judge, prosecuter, typist, bailiff etc would never be recovered and the whole system would have to change. (probably more taxes, and bigger fines)
Landrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:22 PM   #29
Senior Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South East Florida
Posts: 690
Total Cats: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turotufas View Post
I'm taking this to court no matter what. The have no evidence. Lawyers said it should be an easy win and I could represent myself.
Again, please bring a tape recorder and post the audio for us all to enjoy


You are still being pretty vague with the facts. It is laughable that law enforcement is doing any work on your case, and even more so that they would find this thread.


What statute were you cited under?
94mx5red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #30
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Gainesville,Fl
Posts: 3,354
Total Cats: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrew View Post
If you can do it without costing you any money - say perhaps you had the morning or afternoon off of work anyways and they don't up your fine then it is good to see the process 1st hand.
That's a big part of my decision to take it to court or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94mx5red View Post
You are still being pretty vague with the facts.
I'm not trying to convince anyone on here. I'm looking for advice or anyone with a personal story to tell so I can get my **** together.
turotufas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:41 PM   #31
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,679
Total Cats: 1,561
Default

I've been to traffic court many, many times. If it is about the points, hire a lawyer. If it is about the money, the price of the fine and the lawyer are about the same so risk it.

An effective way to find a bargain deal on a traffic attorney is to arrive at court 45 minutes to an hour early, find a lawyer that is already there to defend someone (they are usually easy to spot), and ask them if they can help you too (since they don't have to make a special trip it is gravy money for them). Tell them you are there for two reasons. You are fighting it out of principle because you were the innocent victim of circumstance and you are broke and can't stand to lose the excess cash. Bargain with the lawyer on his price and be sincere in your request for help.

Judges are all lawyers. They like to see you put money in the system by hiring one of them. A lawyer (even a cheap one hired at the last minute) will get professional courtesy from the judge that you would never see extended to you alone. Especially in a low-rent court like traffic. There is no major crime hanging out there to be concerned with so the judge can dismiss at will without reservation. If you spend a few hours at traffic court you will see how most anyone who has retained counsel gets treated with kid gloves. Like it or not, that's just how it goes down.

In traffic courts here in Florida, your first appearance is typically at a hearing to stand before a judge and enter a plea. No officers will be present. When you plead not guilty you will be assigned a court date. When that day comes you will then face the officer in court. If for any reason you must relate the story of the event (and if you have retained counsel you will likely not need to say anything to get off), you should always speak of the officer in very respectful terms and refer to the event as a misinterpretation or misunderstanding. Often times I have had officers who wrote my tickets speak on MY BEHALF just because I was respectful to them at the time of citation and again in court. I have actually spoken to several of them in court before and after appearing before the judge. One told me he wouldn't have given me the ticket if his boss hadn't been right there because I was so respectful. Another thing to note, when the judge decides to downgrade or throw out the citation or to remove points from the penalty, he will ask if the officer approves of the action (seen this more often than not) and if you've been respectful to the officer throughout, he will agree with the downgrade or dropping and you are golden. If you got mouthy at the site initially or are speaking disrespectfully of the cop in the courtroom he will be less likely to relent.

Lastly, some cops are just powerjunkie ******** and so are some judges. Hiring legal counsel will even the field for you.
sixshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #32
Want fries with that?
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 2,023
Total Cats: -1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
wear a suit!!
And a fedora! I have like 10 of those, they're gangster. Sometimes I wear them just for the hell of it. If you wear a fedora, they will bow down to you and take anything you say for granted.
rider384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:23 PM   #33
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Gainesville,Fl
Posts: 3,354
Total Cats: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
I've been to traffic court many, many times. If it is about the points, hire a lawyer. If it is about the money, the price of the fine and the lawyer are about the same so risk it.

An effective way to find a bargain deal on a traffic attorney is to arrive at court 45 minutes to an hour early, find a lawyer that is already there to defend someone (they are usually easy to spot), and ask them if they can help you too (since they don't have to make a special trip it is gravy money for them). Tell them you are there for two reasons. You are fighting it out of principle because you were the innocent victim of circumstance and you are broke and can't stand to lose the excess cash. Bargain with the lawyer on his price and be sincere in your request for help.

Judges are all lawyers. They like to see you put money in the system by hiring one of them. A lawyer (even a cheap one hired at the last minute) will get professional courtesy from the judge that you would never see extended to you alone. Especially in a low-rent court like traffic. There is no major crime hanging out there to be concerned with so the judge can dismiss at will without reservation. If you spend a few hours at traffic court you will see how most anyone who has retained counsel gets treated with kid gloves. Like it or not, that's just how it goes down.

In traffic courts here in Florida, your first appearance is typically at a hearing to stand before a judge and enter a plea. No officers will be present. When you plead not guilty you will be assigned a court date. When that day comes you will then face the officer in court. If for any reason you must relate the story of the event (and if you have retained counsel you will likely not need to say anything to get off), you should always speak of the officer in very respectful terms and refer to the event as a misinterpretation or misunderstanding. Often times I have had officers who wrote my tickets speak on MY BEHALF just because I was respectful to them at the time of citation and again in court. I have actually spoken to several of them in court before and after appearing before the judge. One told me he wouldn't have given me the ticket if his boss hadn't been right there because I was so respectful. Another thing to note, when the judge decides to downgrade or throw out the citation or to remove points from the penalty, he will ask if the officer approves of the action (seen this more often than not) and if you've been respectful to the officer throughout, he will agree with the downgrade or dropping and you are golden. If you got mouthy at the site initially or are speaking disrespectfully of the cop in the courtroom he will be less likely to relent.

Lastly, some cops are just powerjunkie ******** and so are some judges. Hiring legal counsel will even the field for you.
Sixshooter, Thanks for you input.

Your advice on hiring a lawyer on the spot to level the field is great. I completely understand. The ones I've talked to so far have told me that it wouldn't be cost effective at around 200-250, so working out a deal would be best.
turotufas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:26 PM   #34
Senior Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South East Florida
Posts: 690
Total Cats: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turotufas View Post
I'm not trying to convince anyone on here.
I was not looking to be convinced. Only trying to help you out.
94mx5red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:37 PM   #35
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Gainesville,Fl
Posts: 3,354
Total Cats: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94mx5red View Post
I was not looking to be convinced. Only trying to help you out.
Alright, my bad. I haven't really gone through the whole thing have I. I'll probably make an effort to stay clear from telling the details for a while.
turotufas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:46 AM   #36
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Gainesville,Fl
Posts: 3,354
Total Cats: 7
Default

NOT GUILTY. NOT GUILTY.

I'm so ******* happy right now. The officer lied during his testimony and he still couldn't screw me over! Thanks to everyone who gave me great advice.
turotufas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:37 AM   #37
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,679
Total Cats: 1,561
Default

Details, please!?!?
sixshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #38
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Longs, SC
Posts: 2,583
Total Cats: 13
Default

I missed this thread the first time through, and would not of had any advice, but congratulations on the verdict.
icantthink4155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:36 AM   #39
Miotta FTW!
iTrader: (24)
 
Splitime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,295
Total Cats: 26
Default

Seriously... details. No fun without them.
Splitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #40
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
ThatGuy85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Waldo, Ohio
Posts: 750
Total Cats: 8
Default

You mean the justice system still works? Really?

Good job on the win. And like everyone else said, DETAILS!!
ThatGuy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Municipalities hate it when you break the law. Joe Perez Current Events, News, Politics 1 04-13-2015 05:51 PM
Protecting the Second Amendment mgtmse01 Current Events, News, Politics 8 04-05-2013 06:13 PM
Interesting tort case I just came across. Joe Perez Current Events, News, Politics 5 09-28-2012 04:57 PM
Long live Obamacare hustler Current Events, News, Politics 286 07-21-2012 10:52 PM
One Word: Socialism. Braineack Insert BS here 19 11-17-2008 06:02 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:22 PM.