Why don't I want a Subaru? - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-30-2014, 02:03 PM   #21
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,196
Total Cats: 2,584
Default

Totes brah.
Leafy will always be Leafy.

Get an f-body brah. Can't go wrong.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:26 PM   #22
Elite Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 2,659
Total Cats: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_G View Post
But I can justify $40k on a completely new car
And your point?

The Miata will still need another $3-5k in supporting mods on top of the supercharger (it's still bone stock right now). A 250whp NC on the stock suspension and cooling system. lulz. Then there is the crummy stereo, etc etc etc.

I don't really want to have $20k+ tied up in a $10k car.

Everyone has different priorities.
z31maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:29 PM   #23
Elite Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 2,659
Total Cats: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
I always wanted a wrx/sti. Then I got one and it was cool and all for a little while. But I'm bored of the crappy ride and tank like handling and otherwise heavy feeling. The whole 26mpg on the highway thing is also shitty. Every time I drive it I keep thinking, "I could have bought a 4th gen f-body for the same money, made more power, got better gas mileage, had the same handling and not had ever flat brimmer and high schooler try to talk to me about my car."

And then you have me show you this comparison of buying new, with more or less the way I would order.
Subaru WRX | The New 2015 WRX
Looks like subarus sharing thing is messed up, its a base WRX with STi wheels, sti front and side lip kit, and the sti shifter.

vs
http://bp3.ford.com/2015-Ford-Mustang/MakeItYours/Config[%7CFord%7CMustang%7C2015%7C1%7C1%5E%7C100A%5EP8T%5 E%5EYZ%5E%5E883%5ECOU%5E67E%5E44X%5E~YZKAA%5EV6%5E LESS%5E]?fmccmp=sharethis&zipcode=01608&imagetoken=Image[|Ford|Mustang|2015|1|1^|100A^P8T^^YZ^^883^LTS^COU^ 67E^642^44X^V6^LESS^891^13D^53H^]&usecookiezip=true
I already owned a '13 GT with the Track Pack and it cost me $30k out the door.

I'd really like to try something different.

I'd buy an EVO X with DCT trans if there were a local dealer and be done. The Subaru engine reputation makes me a bit reticent.
z31maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #24
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,093
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
Totes brah.
Leafy will always be Leafy.

Get an f-body brah. Can't go wrong.
Lol whatever. Wasnt the real point of the post. It was more of. Optioned to my preference a new ecoboost mustang and a new wrx cost the same, and the mustang is better looking and lighter. The both fill his, car with boost that isnt fwd request. And the mustang will probably make more power "stage 2" and will be WAY easier to put an EFR on and get better gas mileage and handle better and look better.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #25
Elite Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 2,659
Total Cats: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
will be WAY easier to put an EFR on and get better gas mileage and handle better and look better.
I guess you skipped the part where I said stuff like changing turbo's/intercoolers/etc wouldn't be happening on the DD.

Just the small stuff.
z31maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:43 PM   #26
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,093
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by z31maniac View Post
I guess you skipped the part where I said stuff like changing turbo's/intercoolers/etc wouldn't be happening on the DD.

Just the small stuff.
Well I mean, I just put that out there for funzies if you ever got bored of the 320-350ish hp that a "stage 2" 2.3 ecoboost should be able to put out. A b1 frame efr is only 1 butt weld elbow, 2 flanges, and a downpipe away.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:49 PM   #27
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Ryan_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 2,579
Total Cats: 155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by z31maniac View Post
And your point?

I don't really want to have $20k+ tied up in a $10k car.

Everyone has different priorities.
My point was really just that the logic was rediculous. You just want a new car. Which is fine. I just find it funny when people use the whole, "I can't see spending $x,xxx on a cheaper car so I'm just going to drop two or three times that amount on another car" argument. Just say I want something new and money isn't an issue. If it was a car that was having maintenance issues and nickel and diming you that would make sense.
Ryan_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:51 PM   #28
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,196
Total Cats: 2,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Lol whatever. Wasnt the real point of the post. It was more of. Optioned to my preference a new ecoboost mustang and a new wrx cost the same, and the mustang is better looking and lighter. The both fill his, car with boost that isnt fwd request. And the mustang will probably make more power "stage 2" and will be WAY easier to put an EFR on and get better gas mileage and handle better and look better.
probably

probably

maybe

probably

most likely

probably

....don't Leafy up yet another thread please.
We're talking about real cars and mods here. There are a billion cars better than a billion other cars. A subaru is nowhere near the top of "best of" list, but this is not a hypothetical thread where we dream of different cars we've never even driven, and talk about mods not even out for them, and potential not even discovered yet.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:39 PM   #29
Elite Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 2,659
Total Cats: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
....don't Leafy up yet another thread please.
We're talking about real cars and mods here. There are a billion cars better than a billion other cars. A subaru is nowhere near the top of "best of" list, but this is not a hypothetical thread where we dream of different cars we've never even driven, and talk about mods not even out for them, and potential not even discovered yet.
Email sent to COBB for some info on tuning rates and such.
z31maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #30
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,669
Total Cats: 36
Default

My beef with EJs and probably the new F stuff is that I have never seen it do anything a modern aluminum block I-4 can't. And the I-4 does it with just 1 cylinder head and two cams and manifolds that don't look like a drunk metal sculptors attempt at spiders. If I am going to deal with all that crap I want a lot of displacement and the ability to make 500+ WHP without having to dick with 25+ psi tuning on pump. And I want actual top end power.

I would take a 4G63 over any EJ ever, and I bet I will say the same for a 4B11 or even K24 over the new F stuff.
Sparetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:00 PM   #31
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,093
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparetire View Post
My beef with EJs and probably the new F stuff is that I have never seen it do anything a modern aluminum block I-4 can't. And the I-4 does it with just 1 cylinder head and two cams and manifolds that don't look like a drunk metal sculptors attempt at spiders. If I am going to deal with all that crap I want a lot of displacement and the ability to make 500+ WHP without having to dick with 25+ psi tuning on pump. And I want actual top end power.

I would take a 4G63 over any EJ ever, and I bet I will say the same for a 4B11 or even K24 over the new F stuff.
What the H4 lets you do is have not have an engine and tranny layout like audi's awd aka more than half the engine hanging out over in front of the axle or without the inherent weakness of the transverse tranny layout ala the 323 gtx, or without some of the more sillier layouts that involve running drivetrain parts through the oil pan.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:27 PM   #32
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,196
Total Cats: 2,584
Default

correct: placement, packaging, and configuration is the name of the game.

Not power potential.

Not a whole lot of 4 cyl engines can touch the peak power potential of a 4G63 or K. But you don't see everyone and their mother driving them, and there's a reason for that. Again, I just want to be clear that we're all on the same page: a subaru is not the best at anything. But its good at a whole lot of things.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:30 PM   #33
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,093
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
correct: placement, packaging, and configuration is the name of the game.

Not power potential.

Not a whole lot of 4 cyl engines can touch the peak power potential of a 4G63 or K. But you don't see everyone and their mother driving them, and there's a reason for that. Again, I just want to be clear that we're all on the same page: a subaru is not the best at anything. But its good at a whole lot of things.
Well I mean, theres a reason you dont see that and its not because the engines arent good, its because they were all put in either crappy or expensive chassis. Subarus make much better daily drivers than Evos and they're a bunch cheaper too boot. If the k20/24 was put in a rwd chassis that was designed by honda circa 1986 engineers you'd see them all over the place.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:41 PM   #34
Elite Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 2,659
Total Cats: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparetire View Post
My beef with EJs and probably the new F stuff is that I have never seen it do anything a modern aluminum block I-4 can't. And the I-4 does it with just 1 cylinder head and two cams and manifolds that don't look like a drunk metal sculptors attempt at spiders. If I am going to deal with all that crap I want a lot of displacement and the ability to make 500+ WHP without having to dick with 25+ psi tuning on pump. And I want actual top end power.

I would take a 4G63 over any EJ ever, and I bet I will say the same for a 4B11 or even K24 over the new F stuff.
I would prefer an EVO X, however, there isn't a Mitsu dealer in town. It's either 2 hours to OKC or 3 hours to Springfield, and neither of those dealers even stock EVO's, which would make me weary about any warranty work.

So I have to drive to either Dallas or KC just to buy one.

It's amazing to me that Springfield, a town of 150k has a Mitsu dealer, and a Tulsa a metro area of 1 million doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Well I mean, theres a reason you dont see that and its not because the engines arent good, its because they were all put in either crappy or expensive chassis. Subarus make much better daily drivers than Evos and they're a bunch cheaper too boot. If the k20/24 was put in a rwd chassis that was designed by honda circa 1986 engineers you'd see them all over the place.
Subaru's are a bunch cheaper?

The EVO X and STi both start right aronud $35k.
z31maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:49 PM   #35
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,093
Total Cats: 90
Default

The EVO X is a great car, when I said the evo was more expensive I was talking about the 4g63, which is in the older evos and those pull a premium over their subaru counterparts because mitsu sold a **** load less of them. The EVO X is a bunch more comfortable than the older ones. The lower spec but still turbo lancers are more comfortable, I forget which one it is, but its basically the EVO IX tranny and diffs with the new motor with a smaller turbo, that one was quite nice.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:49 PM   #36
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,196
Total Cats: 2,584
Default

drive an evoX around town and get back to me lol
I laughed hysterically the last time I drove one because of how painful it was. wost...daily...ever. in every sense of the word. and the one I drove we tuned to 330whp with bolt ons, wasn't even stock. no torque til 4500ish and when it finally comes on its so uneventful. aside from seats and wheel, interior was on par with dodge neon. and even the seats aren't comfy, just hold you down well.

Great track car though.

(and the X is an absolute pig at 3500lb)
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:16 PM   #37
Elite Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 2,659
Total Cats: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
drive an evoX around town and get back to me lol
I laughed hysterically the last time I drove one because of how painful it was. wost...daily...ever. in every sense of the word. and the one I drove we tuned to 330whp with bolt ons, wasn't even stock. no torque til 4500ish and when it finally comes on its so uneventful. aside from seats and wheel, interior was on par with dodge neon. and even the seats aren't comfy, just hold you down well.

Great track car though.

(and the X is an absolute pig at 3500lb)
So basically the EVO X is full of gay and AIDS?

I'm just reading so much stuff about the #4 ringlands, reminds me of the #8 problems with the Coyotes.

I mean, the wife and I do alright and live somewhere cheap, but the thought of dropping $40k on a car that might blow up stock........that's disheartening.
z31maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:18 PM   #38
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,196
Total Cats: 2,584
Default

many blow up DUE to the stock map.
which is hilarious.
and why tune was the 1st thing I listed.

it basically keeps car in closed loop and running mid 13's AFR all the way up to about 4k

because smog
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:23 PM   #39
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,093
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
many blow up DUE to the stock map.
which is hilarious.
and why tune was the 1st thing I listed.

it basically keeps car in closed loop and running mid 13's AFR all the way up to about 4k

because smog
Which is the same problem as all 06 and new WRXs (and I forget the cutoff year for STi). They pretty much should be tuned as soon as you pull off the dealer lot, and I mean you'd want to do that anyways because almost every single car has super shitty programming for the electronic throttle.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:38 PM   #40
Elite Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 2,659
Total Cats: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
many blow up DUE to the stock map.
which is hilarious.
and why tune was the 1st thing I listed.

it basically keeps car in closed loop and running mid 13's AFR all the way up to about 4k

because smog
That's insane. So basically, if I buy one, gingerly drive it down to Plano to get tuned?
z31maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raleigh: Fiberglass headlight scope, 1.6L ECU, AFM, Hardtop latches, more bigmackloud Miata parts for sale/trade 13 09-22-2017 01:34 PM
15x10 - 15x11 6UL @ 949 Racing emilio700 Wheels and Tires 151 06-02-2017 03:36 PM
WTB MP62 (Hotside) (NB2) Rick02R WTB 3 01-03-2016 08:18 PM
Is my swirl pot design okay? FrankB Race Prep 10 10-02-2015 10:00 PM
In need of base map for stock 1997 brandonbkd MEGAsquirt 0 09-29-2015 12:52 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:04 AM.