Why I sold My Miata: Replacement car pics. - Page 9 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #161
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 700
Total Cats: 17
Default

Whoops








Hydraulic brake pressure switch for the lights failed at a very bad time. I'm not gonna lie I might have tagged the barrier anyway, just not as hard. No injuries, no frame damage, and other than the root cause of the brakes just cosmetic.

I HIGHLY recommend that you do not use a hydraulic brake light switch.
Do it the right way and use a normally closed electric switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Why I sold My Miata:  Replacement car pics.-incidnet7_zps0e0c9d85.jpg   Why I sold My Miata:  Replacement car pics.-incidnet6_zps42e34e04.jpg   Why I sold My Miata:  Replacement car pics.-incidnet5_zps076b4cc4.jpg   Why I sold My Miata:  Replacement car pics.-incidnet4_zps1a7ef14a.jpg   Why I sold My Miata:  Replacement car pics.-incidnet3_zpsc89583ba.jpg  

Why I sold My Miata:  Replacement car pics.-incidnet2_zps4f360888.jpg   Why I sold My Miata:  Replacement car pics.-incidnet1_zpse0daeec2.jpg  
golftdibrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #162
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago (Over two miles from Wrigley Field. Fuck the Cubs. Fuck them in their smarmy goat-hole.)
Posts: 26,318
Total Cats: 1,916
Default

Ouch! Glad the frame is ok.

Fun fact: The Volkswagen that your engine came out of used a hydraulic brake light switch. Two of them, in fact- one on the front circuit and one on the rear. In addition to turning on the brake lights, they also acted as a warning system. If a state-mismatch was detected (pressure on one circuit but not the other) it lit up an idiot-light on the instrument cluster.
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #163
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 1,881
Total Cats: 45
Default

So, when you say 'failed' you obviously mean it popped and you lost brake pressure on one circuit?
vehicular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #164
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 700
Total Cats: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Ouch! Glad the frame is ok.

Fun fact: The Volkswagen that your engine came out of used a hydraulic brake light switch. Two of them, in fact- one on the front circuit and one on the rear. In addition to turning on the brake lights, they also acted as a warning system. If a state-mismatch was detected (pressure on one circuit but not the other) it lit up an idiot-light on the instrument cluster.
That is a fun fact. Its still a bad freaking idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vehicular View Post
So, when you say 'failed' you obviously mean it popped and you lost brake pressure on one circuit?
You sir, are correct; specifically the rear brakes.
golftdibrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #165
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago (Over two miles from Wrigley Field. Fuck the Cubs. Fuck them in their smarmy goat-hole.)
Posts: 26,318
Total Cats: 1,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftdibrad View Post
That is a fun fact. Its still a bad freaking idea.
Well, yeah. But on the plus side, you had a little tiny light on the dashboard that glowed dimly to let you know that the reason you were about to crash was because your brakes had just failed.

Gotta hand it to the Germans- they think of everything.
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #166
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Race Track & St Pete FL
Posts: 587
Total Cats: 47
Default

I like Pook's stuff but I have a street legal go kart I am planning on salvaging parts off of

Here is my current buggy



And I got a GSXR 1000 bike im scrapping for parts to make this

Attached Thumbnails
Why I sold My Miata:  Replacement car pics.-img_0752.jpg   Why I sold My Miata:  Replacement car pics.-img_0753.jpg   Why I sold My Miata:  Replacement car pics.-n5.jpg   Why I sold My Miata:  Replacement car pics.-n1.jpg  
1993ka24det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #167
Elite Member
iTrader: (21)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 5,685
Total Cats: 558
Default

That is pure sex.
rleete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #168
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,669
Total Cats: 1,561
Default

Details or at least a name of the car?
sixshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:26 PM   #169
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manassas, Virginia
Posts: 1,247
Total Cats: 57
Default

What is that?
mx5autoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:36 PM   #170
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago (Over two miles from Wrigley Field. Fuck the Cubs. Fuck them in their smarmy goat-hole.)
Posts: 26,318
Total Cats: 1,916
Default

Looks like an RCR Superlite Nemesis.

SuperLite Cars Made in the USA, Engineered to Win on the Street and Track by Race Car Replicas

Hayabusa engine, 1,098 lbs. $20k for the rolling chassis kit.

Attached Thumbnails
Why I sold My Miata:  Replacement car pics.-n6.jpg  
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:39 PM   #171
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,186
Total Cats: 2,582
Default

I gotta say, that's about as close as it gets to driving an indy car
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:19 AM   #172
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manassas, Virginia
Posts: 1,247
Total Cats: 57
Default

I don't know. I think the V8 Atom is more like it. Except for the two seater part.

Attached Thumbnails
Why I sold My Miata:  Replacement car pics.-2011_ariel_atom_f34_fd_1004103_1600.jpg  
mx5autoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #173
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,872
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

so you're brake lights activate when the pressure in the lines reaches a certain point? and that adapter-thingy broke and caused you to lose brakes?
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #174
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 700
Total Cats: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
so you're brake lights activate when the pressure in the lines reaches a certain point? and that adapter-thingy broke and caused you to lose brakes?
Correct, rear brakes.
Attached Thumbnails
Why I sold My Miata:  Replacement car pics.-hydraulic%2520brake%2520light%2520switch%2520oe%2520fullydep%2520failed.jpg  
golftdibrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #175
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manassas, Virginia
Posts: 1,247
Total Cats: 57
Default

That is an interesting way to do things, but the blaring fact of that being one more possibe failure point (and a very dangerous one at that) makes me wonder why an engineer would choos to do this.
mx5autoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #176
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,872
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

but a simple mechanical switch on the pedal itself is way too eay.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #177
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 700
Total Cats: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx5autoxer View Post
That is an interesting way to do things, but the blaring fact of that being one more possibe failure point (and a very dangerous one at that) makes me wonder why an engineer would choos to do this.
I have no clue. I'm thankful at least my car has two braking circuits; could you imagine what happens on a street car that only has one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
but a simple mechanical switch on the pedal itself is way too eay.
Its even more puzzling considering the state of the art of material science back then; a simple electrical switch, even with redundancy, is far more simple.

The only advantage I see is its an actual indication of line pressure and the fact that the car is slowing, rather than a pedal switch that is an indication of the intent to apply line pressure. IMHO its semantics, because a failure either way does not change the fact that you may not stop. a failure of either a pressure or electric switch will not change the fact that you may stop without indication.
golftdibrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #178
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago (Over two miles from Wrigley Field. Fuck the Cubs. Fuck them in their smarmy goat-hole.)
Posts: 26,318
Total Cats: 1,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftdibrad View Post
I have no clue. I'm thankful at least my car has two braking circuits; could you imagine what happens on a street car that only has one?
?

I'm not aware of any street car which hasn't had dual-circuit brakes since at least the 1960s. The Beetle got them as part of the 1967 redesign. Most cars use only a single fluid reservoir, but the master cylinder itself is internally split into two isolated circuits, with each serving two wheels. Most commonly front-back, however I have seen some cars with diagonal splits.



Quote:
Its even more puzzling considering the state of the art of material science back then; a simple electrical switch, even with redundancy, is far more simple.
A lot of things about the VW design are an interesting conundrum. Every one I have ever driven, for instance, had a pair of little levers positioned right by the e-brake handle whose sole function seemed to be to let just enough carbon monoxide into the cabin to make you stop caring about the fact that you are freezing cold and your front windshield is completely fogged up.
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #179
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 700
Total Cats: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
?

I'm not aware of any street car which hasn't had dual-circuit brakes since at least the 1960s. The Beetle got them as part of the 1967 redesign. Most cars use only a single fluid reservoir, but the master cylinder itself is internally split into two isolated circuits, with each serving two wheels. Most commonly front-back, however I have seen some cars with diagonal splits.
While I realize this is true, I had a slave cylinder fail on me in my first rabbit.....ALL the brakes stopped working and I had to get a handful of ebrake. In our 240sx lemons car... if a bleeder is open on the rear corner you can put the brakes on the floor and still turn all the wheels by hand...just sayin'
golftdibrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #180
Ben
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,689
Total Cats: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
A lot of things about the VW design are an interesting conundrum. Every one I have ever driven, for instance, had a pair of little levers positioned right by the e-brake handle whose sole function seemed to be to let just enough carbon monoxide into the cabin to make you stop caring about the fact that you are freezing cold and your front windshield is completely fogged up.

I solved this problem by not having a windshield. Or brake lights.

Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
94-97 JR Header, FM Stage 1 Happy Meal, Carillo rods & Supertech Pistons eddy1128 Miata parts for sale/trade 8 12-10-2015 06:34 PM
Re-Spring Tein FLEX or replace? Mazdaspeeder Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 21 10-03-2015 07:45 PM
1991 Turbo Miata partout tottestad Miata parts for sale/trade 18 09-14-2015 08:52 PM
Sold fail wagon Miata parts for sale/trade 2 09-07-2015 09:51 PM
New here, saying hi, here's what I'm workin with. SuperSneakySecretSquirrel Meet and Greet 5 09-06-2015 09:30 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:14 PM.