Why would anyone ever pay for a V8 conversion? - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-16-2010, 09:53 PM   #21
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

I'd sell the viper and get a c5 or c6z.

Actually, I'd just keep what I have because its just as fast as any street vette or viper when I learn to drive, and tires are cheaper.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:17 PM   #22
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 2,980
Total Cats: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA6C-Guy View Post
Anybody who spends $30k on a V8 swap in a Miata is an idiot anyway. It can be done for 1/4 that. FM might make good stuff, but they are damn proud of their parts.

The price I have come up with is $7500-$8000 using a swap kit from either FM or BossFrog, an LS1, trans, diff, new clutch, associated exhaust and other hardware. So $8,000>>>$30,000
IMHO, it would be pretty hard to do for $7500. There are a lot of little things that add up quickly. Anyway, I have really been thinking about doing an LSx Miata. I think it would be the bees knees but a huge turbo would be nice too. It really kills me that if I spent the big $$$ to do a V8 I still wouldn't be faster than what Beast was with just a small turbo. I still have 2 years before I start my next project so I have some time to figure out what I am really going to do.

I've started the web page for it though <G>:

http://www.lightweightmiata.com/mynextcar/

A V8 Miata with hard top and fender flares (or same thing with big turbo) isn't on there but it goes without saying I am looking into it.
rmcelwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:22 PM   #23
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcelwee View Post
IMHO, it would be pretty hard to do for $7500. There are a lot of little things that add up quickly. Anyway, I have really been thinking about doing an LSx Miata. I think it would be the bees knees but a huge turbo would be nice too. It really kills me that if I spent the big $$$ to do a V8 I still wouldn't be faster than what Beast was with just a small turbo. I still have 2 years before I start my next project so I have some time to figure out what I am really going to do.

I've started the web page for it though <G>:

http://www.lightweightmiata.com/mynextcar/

A V8 Miata with hard top and fender flares (or same thing with big turbo) isn't on there but it goes without saying I am looking into it.
My reason is 300hp+ stock, reliable, decent fuel economy, torque central, ect. It may go a touch over $7500, but I have sat and written down every little part I could think of, plus tagged on an additional $500 for the oddball parts I may have forgotten. Even $10,000 wouldn't upset me too much if it's required to do it right the first time.

I've sources LS1 and T-56's with under 40k miles for ~$2200, Ford 8.8 plus a rebuild and r&p for around $1000, both halves of the FM kit around $4000, and I have a bit of a hook up on the other little bits and pieces. So the major components are around $7200. I would also do suspension while I was at it, so it likely will be over $10k by the time it's done. I also don't like to cut any corners, an extra $1000 doesn't bother me to have peace of mind. People without a hook up will probably spend $10k realistically. I'll probably retire the car to strip down within the year. Actual build will be quite lengthy I'm sure. A lot of time spent in build progress. Then again, I'm known to start a project, then sell it and start on something else. I have yet to sell a car for even 1/3 of what I had into it. I'm smart like that. I think I will stick this one out though, I have nearly learned that lesson. My last car had about $8000 into it, and I sold it for $2700. That was about half of my Miata.

Last edited by NA6C-Guy; 02-16-2010 at 11:34 PM.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:33 PM   #24
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,164
Total Cats: 2,573
Default

that 7500 is more like 10k to do. which is still a far cry from 30
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:35 PM   #25
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
that 7500 is more like 10k to do. which is still a far cry from 30
Late to the party bro!

"People without a hook up will probably spend $10k realistically."

NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:50 PM   #26
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,164
Total Cats: 2,573
Default

And so would you. Its easy to plan this **** out when you're sitting there making a list based off **** you see other people do. When it comes down to doing it yourself, suddenly even with all your "hook ups" you're still spending more than expected.

But you wouldn't know that
Or would you?
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:00 AM   #27
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
And so would you. Its easy to plan this **** out when you're sitting there making a list based off **** you see other people do. When it comes down to doing it yourself, suddenly even with all your "hook ups" you're still spending more than expected.

But you wouldn't know that
Or would you?
Britch prease! I've bought my fair share of parts in my short day. I didn't look at anyone's build, but priced all of this on actual prices I could purchase them for. If I was just doing the bare minimum, like no new clutch, and no other little peace of mind parts, I could get it done for my above price of $7500-$8000, likely the upper end of that scale. With the other optional parts and suspension junk, it will be over $10,000 easily. Just the damn Bilstein revalve is going to be over $1000, then add the GC and springs...

But again, I like to drop a few grand into it, then sell it and start over. Someone will be getting a Miata rolling chassis with bolted in LS1 for $2800 in about 2 years when I throw up my hands.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:04 AM   #28
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,164
Total Cats: 2,573
Default

So do it then. And prove me wrong. Otherwise you're just a keyboard ******* warrior.

I thought my **** would cost me 2k TOPS to boost and make quick. I have the tools, I have hookups on parts, I have fabrication skills, all that ****. And guess what? I STILL cost wayyyy more than I projected. And this with a simple turbo setup (well not THAT simple anymore but whatever). You're talking about stuffing a completely different driveline into a completely different car.

Seems so simple right? WRONG

Most of the time that kind of **** happens.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:08 AM   #29
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
So do it then. And prove me wrong. Otherwise you're just a keyboard ******* warrior.

I thought my **** would cost me 2k TOPS to boost and make quick. I have the tools, I have hookups on parts, I have fabrication skills, all that ****. And guess what? I STILL cost wayyyy more than I projected. And this with a simple turbo setup (well not THAT simple anymore but whatever). You're talking about stuffing a completely different driveline into a completely different car.

Seems so simple right? WRONG

Most of the time that kind of **** happens.
I'll show you! In about 3 years when and if I finish. I'm well aware of the unexpected factor. It has happened with everything I have ever built, but I get a good feeling with this one (don't **** up my good mojo). But yes, basically now I am just a keyboard warrior. ****, I have been planning a turbo build since I got the car like 3 years ago and I'm still rolling on a stock engine. Really haven't had the funds or the time lately to do much of anything besides get by. Once my life settles back down I will start spending them greens again. That's the only reason I don't start now, I barely have enough income to pay my debts and put gas in my car.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:22 AM   #30
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

I believe SanginAIDS and I are the kings of "unaware factor." I think he and I have broken everything which can be broken.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:24 AM   #31
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
I believe SanginAIDS and I are the kings of "unaware factor." I think he and I have broken everything which can be broken.
I'll agree to that. Parts that weren't even originally on the car have ended up under the hood broken. Eating other cars at the track I guess. Parts warping from other dimensions in pieces. Had to buy replacement valve stem caps yet? They haven't burst into flames yet?

I have **** luck with cars, but you guys take the cake, and somehow still keep on ticking. I would have gotten pissed and quit long ago.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:13 AM   #32
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,164
Total Cats: 2,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
I believe SanginAIDS and I are the kings of "unaware factor." I think he and I have broken everything which can be broken.
**** yeah lol
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:29 AM   #33
Senior Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Posts: 1,187
Total Cats: 4
Default

FM is charging 30K

How much is Nathan "swaptastic" charging?
Preluding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:54 AM   #34
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Connect-I-Cut
Posts: 1,431
Total Cats: 0
Default

I still can't believe the fact that some of you would take a dogde viper over a Ferrari, that's just retarded.
miataspeed2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:02 AM   #35
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
samnavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Posts: 6,020
Total Cats: 175
Default

So, $30k plus a really nice NB as a starter... so, you're talking close to $40k in the end? If you must have a roadster, you can get a fully optioned Factory 5 Cobra with all the trimmings and built smallblock. ****, I think you can get one turnkey for that!

Every one of these cars is for sale on CobraCountry for under $40k, and there are about a dozen more I didn't link:


samnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:26 AM   #36
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

Speaking of all things Cobra-ish, what's Corky charging for a CB/1?
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:54 AM   #37
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
Speaking of all things Cobra-ish, what's Corky charging for a CB/1?
More than you can afford, pal.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #38
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 5,382
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
Speaking of all things Cobra-ish, what's Corky charging for a CB/1?
I looked once.. I think something like 30k..
elesjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #39
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Severn, MD
Posts: 1,927
Total Cats: 5
Default

Comparing a boneyard LS1 and T56 with 40k miles to a factory zero mile warrantied LS3, brand new warrantied t56, brand new clutch/flywhee/wiring harness/PCMl is a bit retarded. Sorta like comparing Corky's Garrett 2871 at $1300 to an ebay Chinacharger at $300.

Newsflash. It's a lot of ******* labor. Take out dash. Cut firewall. Weld firewall. Mod trans tunnel. Wiring. More wiring. Some more wiring. Heat shrink. Solder. Fab.

I have no interest in a non-convertible Viper.

Sure I've saved a bunch of labor over FM's offering, but I'm not done yet and it's been almost a ******* year. Hell, if I could do it over, I'd probably just buy v8roadsters Moose which they're selling for $26500 with a freshly rebuilt LS6/t56.

Some people's time is worth more than others.

Frank
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:38 PM   #40
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
Comparing a boneyard LS1 and T56 with 40k miles to a factory zero mile warrantied LS3, brand new warrantied t56, brand new clutch/flywhee/wiring harness/PCMl is a bit retarded. Sorta like comparing Corky's Garrett 2871 at $1300 to an ebay Chinacharger at $300.

Newsflash. It's a lot of ******* labor. Take out dash. Cut firewall. Weld firewall. Mod trans tunnel. Wiring. More wiring. Some more wiring. Heat shrink. Solder. Fab.

I have no interest in a non-convertible Viper.

Sure I've saved a bunch of labor over FM's offering, but I'm not done yet and it's been almost a ******* year. Hell, if I could do it over, I'd probably just buy v8roadsters Moose which they're selling for $26500 with a freshly rebuilt LS6/t56.

Some people's time is worth more than others.

Frank

So... what's left on your project?
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Various Miata Parts, 1.8 conversion kit AredMiata Miata parts for sale/trade 13 05-25-2013 06:44 PM
91 Miata 1.8 computer/harness swap losiluke Engine Performance 6 10-02-2010 02:12 PM
My BEGI experience jacob300zx Insert BS here 91 03-17-2010 02:08 PM
My hemorrhoids are acting up... MadMan ll General Miata Chat 34 09-21-2009 12:54 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:15 AM.