Miata Stiffey - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Media Got any pics or vids to share?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-05-2010, 03:19 AM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Eastside Muff~Palmdale,CA
Posts: 93
Total Cats: 0
Default Miata Stiffey

Previous owner of my NA didn't know how to drive & ran underbody into everything he could,so the unibody support rails were smashed,weak and ugly.I had beat them back into shape but still unhappy with their apperance and flimsyness,I decided to replace the rails with tube steel. After,I noticed the Miata is much more rigid w/ minimal flex thru driveways and it actually feels like the suspension is working better.

(can't embed vid) Cause I fail<----Thanx Levnubhin,lol


Last edited by Eadohcturbo; 07-18-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Eadohcturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:26 AM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,831
Total Cats: 0
Default

you could have just bought these....


http://boundaryengineering.com/drupal/node/23
WonTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:48 AM   #3
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Props on doing it yourself, but you really could have cured the issue without any cutting and welding, though your way is probably superior. Mine were worse than yours when I got my FM braces, and I hate to beat them back into themselves with a 10lb sledge and using a floor jack and a brick. Even after the "reshaping" I had to force the braces on with the floor jack and held them in place while bolting them on.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Longs, SC
Posts: 2,583
Total Cats: 13
Default

Thats awesome, and it looks great. They might ban you for this on m.net though. Id think that would add more stiffness then those rails would since it looked like that was square tubing and not a U.
icantthink4155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #5
Elite Member
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: oahu
Posts: 1,720
Total Cats: 2
Default

Much stiffer than the rail things you bolt on. Looks great!
astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
Miotta FTW!
iTrader: (24)
 
Splitime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,295
Total Cats: 26
Default

Lol at considering those crushed. Mine have been completely flattened in the middle of BOTH. Jacking point failure ftl

And... next time... don't put music in a video like that
Splitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:31 PM   #7
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southlake,Texas
Posts: 3,251
Total Cats: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitime View Post
Lol at considering those crushed. Mine have been completely flattened in the middle of BOTH. Jacking point failure ftl

And... next time... don't put music in a video like that
+1, They are supposed to be flattened for that JDM look
Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:22 PM   #8
Want fries with that?
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 2,023
Total Cats: -1
Default

Nice work, but the worst music I have ever heard in my entire life
rider384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Gainesville,Fl
Posts: 3,354
Total Cats: 7
Default

I watched the video. Nice work!
turotufas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:59 AM   #10
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Eastside Muff~Palmdale,CA
Posts: 93
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonTon View Post
you could have just bought these....
http://boundaryengineering.com/drupal/node/23
those would require me to lift the carpet and don't allow me to make pretty lights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NA6C-Guy View Post
Props on doing it yourself, but you really could have cured the issue without any cutting and welding, though your way is probably superior. Mine were worse than yours when I got my FM braces, and I hate to beat them back into themselves with a 10lb sledge and using a floor jack and a brick. Even after the "reshaping" I had to force the braces on with the floor jack and held them in place while bolting them on.
yeah I had beat them back but they looked like crap and seemed weaker than ever. I have access to the tools so I might as well make it right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by icantthink4155 View Post
Thats awesome, and it looks great. They might ban you for this on m.net though. Id think that would add more stiffness then those rails would since it looked like that was square tubing and not a U.
Yeah M.net.. not a member,nor cr. Luckily found Miataturbo & was able to read "reviews" on those forums before I spent time joining.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroboy View Post
Much stiffer than the rail things you bolt on. Looks great!
thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitime View Post
Lol at considering those crushed. Mine have been completely flattened in the middle of BOTH. Jacking point failure ftl
And... next time... don't put music in a video like that
That's my fave song to play while driving my Miata!!! yay..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond View Post
+1, They are supposed to be flattened for that JDM look
yeah,but I'm going for tiiite USDM hardparker look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider384 View Post
Nice work, but the worst music I have ever heard in my entire life
lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turotufas View Post
I watched the video. Nice work!
Thank you sir.
Eadohcturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:21 AM   #11
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,479
Total Cats: 6
Default

You welded the lip where the jacking points are? Does that help at all? I just haven't seen it in the usual seam welding diagrams.
dgmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:31 AM   #12
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 2,791
Total Cats: 71
Default

terrible music. that song is ******* disgusting.


also i hope you never plan to sell your car again because it is now worth 25$


but if it works well then props. i would have just added a cage to fix the issue though.
shlammed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:41 AM   #13
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Eastside Muff~Palmdale,CA
Posts: 93
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmorr View Post
You welded the lip where the jacking points are? Does that help at all? I just haven't seen it in the usual seam welding diagrams.
I got the idea from a Time Attack Evo9 I was under a couple of years ago,where 1/4" round solid stock was welded to the same seam because it wasn't running a rollcage.
Eadohcturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
LucaCarMods's Boosted Dutch Miata Build! LucaCarMods Build Threads 11 02-14-2016 07:13 AM
New M62 Miata owner Pist0n Meet and Greet 4 10-01-2015 09:18 PM
WTB HPDE miata - Texas Voltwings Cars for sale/trade 0 09-27-2015 07:40 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:45 AM.