Media Got any pics or vids to share?

My almost finished TD05-16G setup

 
Old 03-28-2019, 01:30 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 168
Total Cats: 13
Default My almost finished TD05-16G setup

I deleted my previous posts because I thought I was gonna sell the car. Anyway I got my mind back and finished it. I've been tuning it the past week, going pretty good. So far it hits 10psi @ 3200rpm in 3rd without the EBC. Everything was built by me, including engine, manifold, and turbo. Going for around 340whp @ 20psi, atleast thats around what miatamike on here made on this turbo a few years ago. Here are the specs:

Evo 3 16G
800cc ev14 injectors
Dw200 fuel pump
Supermiata full face clutch
Synapse BOV
3" DP & Exhaust
Tial MV-S wastegate with open dump
TDR radiator
Manley Rods & Arias 8.6:1 pistons
Devilsown water meth kit
MSLabs MS3 mini
MAC ebc
Flowforce Coil bracket with d585 coils



1RMDave is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 08:47 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 578
Total Cats: -27
Default

Cool, I like it. It's something different from the norm. Interested to see what you can get out of the 16g, it's a pretty nice turbo. I think it's cool you fabbed everything yourself, I can really appreciate the effort you put in.
andyfloyd is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 08:08 AM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 168
Total Cats: 13
Default

Originally Posted by andyfloyd View Post
Cool, I like it. It's something different from the norm. Interested to see what you can get out of the 16g, it's a pretty nice turbo. I think it's cool you fabbed everything yourself, I can really appreciate the effort you put in.
Thanks! I'll try to get a better picture later this week. It was a lot of fun fabricating everything and it was a real moment when I got the hang of TIG welding aluminum. I'm running it at 20 psi now and it feels great. It was a big challenge to get it all working how I wanted and retain my ps/ac and cruise. I also wanted it as far forward as possible so that I could get a nice angle on a 3" downpipe.
1RMDave is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 08:57 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,278
Total Cats: 154
Default

very cool build!

are you planning to dyno this setup? id be curious to see the spool and output.

get rid of that valve cover breather, it will spit little specs of oil all over the hot manifold/turbo

cap the intake maifold, gut the pcv, and route both valve cover vents into a vented catch can w/filter.
borka is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 10:35 AM
  #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 168
Total Cats: 13
Default

Originally Posted by borka View Post
very cool build!

are you planning to dyno this setup? id be curious to see the spool and output.
et rid of that valve cover breather, it will spit little specs of oil all over the hot manifold/turbo cap the intake manifold, gut the pcv, and route both valve cover vents into a vented catch can w/filter.
Picture is a few weeks old, which is now super out dated haha. Valve cover filter is already gone, passenger side has 1/2" barb & hose, driver side has 3/8" hose with both going to a VTA catch can. Manifold port is capped. You were definitely right to recommend going that way, I had a variety of problems. #4 cylinder was sucking in a lot of oil due to PCV port location and drivers side was spitting oil due to a lack of flow on the driver side. I am trying to get some dyno time next week. Unfortunately I had to remove the 16g due to oil seepage through the hotside. So now I am running a 14b in the 7cm 16g turbine housing. It feels almost as strong at 20 psi but comes on a lot earlier. I will dyno with the 14b, if I get hungry for more power I will rebuild the 16g again and run that. If I can't get at least 300whp outta the 14b I'm using the 16g. The nice thing is that all TD05 turbo's use the same turbine wheel and the housing is held on with a vband so swaps are 30 minutes or less, just leave the turbine housing bolted up and swap the cartridge/compressor.
1RMDave is offline  
Old 04-16-2019, 06:35 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 168
Total Cats: 13
Default

Here is how it looks as of today. Virtual dyno must not be accurate for me, said 325whp. Thats pretty high for a 24b.



1RMDave is offline  
Old 04-16-2019, 06:48 PM
  #7  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Sussex, England
Posts: 138
Total Cats: 15
Default

That looks a fun setup!

Do you have any more information on how you have plumbed and wired in your devils own kit? I'm looking at WI to work with my MS3, but not sure what to use for a solenoid and pump control.
Tran is offline  
Old 04-16-2019, 06:56 PM
  #8  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 168
Total Cats: 13
Default

Originally Posted by Tran View Post
That looks a fun setup!

Do you have any more information on how you have plumbed and wired in your devils own kit? I'm looking at WI to work with my MS3, but not sure what to use for a solenoid and pump control.
Having lots of fun so far, cept im using 1qt of oil every 60 miles if I'm flogging it. Catch can is empty and Ive tried swapping turbos.

Are you on a mini or regular ms3? Im using vvt pwm output to switch the relay/pump on. Could use boost control pwm for progressive but im using it for boost control.
1RMDave is offline  
Old 04-16-2019, 07:14 PM
  #9  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Sussex, England
Posts: 138
Total Cats: 15
Default

Originally Posted by 1RMDave View Post
Having lots of fun so far, cept im using 1qt of oil every 60 miles if I'm flogging it. Catch can is empty and Ive tried swapping turbos.

Are you on a mini or regular ms3? Im using vvt pwm output to switch the relay/pump on. Could use boost control pwm for progressive but im using it for boost control.
Is your catch can vented? I was using a lot of oil until I drilled out the hole in the valve cover and welded an AN10 bung to the top of the exhaust side of the cam cover rather than the 3/8 barb. Try that if you haven't.

On an MS3 basic from rev. I've used my VVT PWM output for VVT. I might have a spare output I could use for a solenoid though. So are you just using the pump as an on/off switch for adding water? How much does it help with knock and EGTs?
Tran is offline  
Old 04-16-2019, 08:34 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 168
Total Cats: 13
Default

Originally Posted by Tran View Post
Is your catch can vented? I was using a lot of oil until I drilled out the hole in the valve cover and welded an AN10 bung to the top of the exhaust side of the cam cover rather than the 3/8 barb. Try that if you haven't.

On an MS3 basic from rev. I've used my VVT PWM output for VVT. I might have a spare output I could use for a solenoid though. So are you just using the pump as an on/off switch for adding water? How much does it help with knock and EGTs?
Ya my catch can is vented, nothing collecting in it which is strange for the amount of oil i am using. I was getting oil from the 3/8 barb until i added a 1/2" barb to the driverside. I have a bad feeling i have a bad oil control ring. Ill do a leak down test one of these days.

Ms3 basic should have a bunch of on/off outputs you could use to turn on the pump and it has a spare pwm you can use to cycle a solenoid. Which solenoid are you looking to use?
1RMDave is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
twoggy
DIY Turbo Discussion
3
06-11-2012 07:08 PM
foxyroadster
WTB
0
02-16-2012 04:32 PM
charlie7337
Miata parts for sale/trade
12
04-02-2011 02:53 PM
Darthteddy
DIY Turbo Discussion
4
12-09-2010 01:23 PM
557795
DIY Turbo Discussion
0
05-15-2008 02:16 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My almost finished TD05-16G setup


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.