Testing out our new gopro3 - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Media Got any pics or vids to share?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-09-2014, 09:07 AM   #21
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,092
Total Cats: 90
Default

In 3rd gear is the problem. Nailing that 2-3 shift perfect every time is whats worry some. I've strongly considered it but I dont really think more power is going to make my car faster right now.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:27 AM   #22
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,484
Total Cats: 248
Default

Leafy, do you mean this Nabi? Red camera marketed to children? Seems pretty nice.

Fuhu Nabi Square HD Camera Rugged Childproof Waterproof Shockproof 8MP 1080p | eBay

And do these goPro knockoffs also use gopro mounts?
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #23
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 54
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffbucc View Post
Here is an example of my hacked up gaming mic, pretty clear sound

That does sound good. Where in the car was your mic placed? About where the camera is positioned?
TheCowGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:32 AM   #24
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,092
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
Leafy, do you mean this Nabi? Red camera marketed to children? Seems pretty nice.

Fuhu Nabi Square HD Camera Rugged Childproof Waterproof Shockproof 8MP 1080p | eBay

And do these goPro knockoffs also use gopro mounts?
Yup, marketed for children. They seem to go on sale on either woot or bestbuy for like $60. Come with a few mounts, all of mine are attached to gopro suction cup mounts because the other brands either suck or cost over $100 each. All the mount stuff interchanges besides the connection to the camera (both case and tray thing both use standard camera mounts 14-28 thread or whatever, but the cameras come with the standard camera to go pro adapter) and the quick disconnects for like sticky mounts and stuff dont interchange and cant be modded to work (I tried).
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:34 AM   #25
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
Leafy, do you mean this Nabi? Red camera marketed to children? Seems pretty nice.

Fuhu Nabi Square HD Camera Rugged Childproof Waterproof Shockproof 8MP 1080p | eBay

And do these goPro knockoffs also use gopro mounts?
yep, they use GoPro mounts.

So does the Emerson Action Cam and the Vivitar units.

The 1080P Vivitar does good video, **** audio.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:08 PM   #26
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Meridian, Mississippi
Posts: 637
Total Cats: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
In 3rd gear is the problem. Nailing that 2-3 shift perfect every time is whats worry some. I've strongly considered it but I dont really think more power is going to make my car faster right now.
I was thinking along the lines of start out in 2nd, do one shift into 3rd, and leave it in 3rd for the rest of the course.

Keith
Twodoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #27
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodoor View Post
I was thinking along the lines of start out in 2nd, do one shift into 3rd, and leave it in 3rd for the rest of the course.

Keith
With your gearing, that's what you'd pretty much HAVE to do.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:12 PM   #28
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,092
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodoor View Post
I was thinking along the lines of start out in 2nd, do one shift into 3rd, and leave it in 3rd for the rest of the course.

Keith
Yeah, thats the idea, but when you only have 3 shot, do you want to risk muffing one of them on a trickier shift if you can avoid it? Depending on how little you care about your clutch and how good you are at slipping it, just launching in 3rd is an option.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:13 PM   #29
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Yeah, thats the idea, but when you only have 3 shot, do you want to risk muffing one of them on a trickier shift if you can avoid it? Depending on how little you care about your clutch and how good you are at slipping it, just launching in 3rd is an option.
He DOES have a 6spd/4.3 combo in a turbo car. I bet starting in 3rd is no harder than the rest of us starting in 2nd.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #30
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Cedar City, UT
Posts: 2,769
Total Cats: 948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCowGod View Post

That does sound good. Where in the car was your mic placed? About where the camera is positioned?
Mic is right behind the the elbow pad. Just attached it to the carpet on the rear shelf. Camera is a suction cup Mount on the rear window with a 6" extension.

Also on the 2nd or 3rd gear discussions, I rarely need to go to third with a 3.63 diff. In my video I'm redlining in 3rd by the end of that long straight. The course is abnormally fast due to being on an airport strip. The 3.63 is perfect IMHO, for not running out of gear.
Jeffbucc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:10 PM   #31
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 54
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffbucc View Post
Mic is right behind the the elbow pad. Just attached it to the carpet on the rear shelf. Camera is a suction cup Mount on the rear window with a 6" extension.
Thanks. I've got an autocross this weekend, so it'll be a perfect chance to give it a try.
TheCowGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #32
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 52
Total Cats: 1
Default

I've tried out a TON of mic positions over the years (engine bay, passenger footwell, passenger seat base, windshield, rear deck, back edge of the trunk, rear bumper, etc...) and the absolute best spot I've found to reproduce what I actually hear when driving the car is the very back of the center console behind my elbow.

Mazda must have knew this because they put a perfect hole back there in the NB's and filled it with a locking mechanism for the lid. I took that out and with a few bucks worth of hardware from Lowes mounted a mini ball head right there to hold my Zoom H2 recorder but any digital recorder with a 1/4-20 mounting hole will work perfectly.

Robot Check Robot Check

The only thing to consider about a separate recording device is that you will need to sync the audio up in iMovie which is very simple to do but is an extra step, to me well worth it since you get MUCH better audio with a separate device rather than letting a GoPro crush the quality and dealing with a mic wire limiting where you can place the camera.

Even though that placement is relatively out of the wind, it still gets enough breeze even at autocross 70 and 80 mph speeds to pick up a bunch of wind noise but a Wind Cutter or "dead cat" as they're sometimes called will take care of that with no problem...

The WindCutter - Microphone Wind Noise Solutions

If you don't want the extra step of syncing the audio, Wind Cutter sells a very decent lav mic with a nice long 6 foot cord which will plug right into your GoPro and has a nice little clip on it that you can clip to the front edge of the parcel shelf carpet...

Lavalier/Lapel Microphone & WindCutter Set (StormChaser Version)

Here's one of the many videos from my channel with audio from the Zoom H2 in the location I'm describing above...

Ciotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #33
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 54
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciotti View Post
I've tried out a TON of mic positions over the years (engine bay, passenger footwell, passenger seat base, windshield, rear deck, back edge of the trunk, rear bumper, etc...) and the absolute best spot I've found to reproduce what I actually hear when driving the car is the very back of the center console behind my elbow.
Nice, thanks for the tip. I'll start there with my DR-40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciotti View Post
The only thing to consider about a separate recording device is that you will need to sync the audio up in iMovie which is very simple to do but is an extra step, to me well worth it since you get MUCH better audio with a separate device rather than letting a GoPro crush the quality and dealing with a mic wire limiting where you can place the camera.
Yep, well worth the effort. I'll just need to remember to clap my hands once while I'm in the staging line to help make that easier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciotti View Post
Here's one of the many videos from my channel with audio from the Zoom H2 in the location I'm describing above...
Yep, great sound, great camera angles, engaging video. Thanks, I think my next videos will turn out a lot better.
TheCowGod is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3rd Time's a Charm...hopefully. zephyrusaurai Meet and Greet 2 09-28-2015 11:59 PM
Are my coils failing? viriiguy General Miata Chat 5 09-28-2015 08:39 PM
Compression test results Colipto General Miata Chat 3 09-11-2015 02:44 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:27 PM.