Mew from Las Vegas, NV - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Meet and Greet Say Hi. De-noob yourself.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2013, 03:54 AM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 10
Total Cats: -5
Default Mew from Las Vegas, NV

Hi guys,

I'm here to learn about 1.6l motor modification. I am dropping a 1.6 from a '91 miata in a 1966 Datsun roadster as we speak, and I'm looking for simple ideas to put out more power, but keep reliability.

The rest I will add to the tech sections of the forum.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Mew from Las Vegas, NV-image.jpg  
Connisuer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,669
Total Cats: 1,560
Default

It can be done! The 1.6 is a robust little engine with a forged crankshaft. A downfall of the early 1.6 engines was a short nose crankshaft that would often develop a problem with the balancer keyway being wallowed out. Ensure that your keyway is in good shape before performing the swap. The later 1.6 engines had longer nose crankshafts.

Many people on this forum are down on the 1.6 engines because the 1.8 engines had better breathing heads and a few other things, but other than the keyway issue, they are pretty sturdy. The engines use the same connecting rods and a many other components. They are slightly shorter in overall length than the 1.8 engines, but not by much.

They are fine to turbocharge and are typically good for twice the stock horsepower without internal modifications. But you will need to study up on coolant reroutes and other modifications before going that far with it. A small amount of boost is much easier than a large amount when it comes to the necessity and severity of supporting modifications.

It should likely already make 50% more power than the Datsun engine that is coming out of the car, so why not get used to that first and see what the chassis can handle?

By the way, this forum is tough on people that ask questions without reading the sticky'd threads or using the search button first. They see it as lazy and you should likely expect some hazing for doing it. These are DIY guys who do their own research and report back here, so there are thousands of pages of excellent reference material in this forum, mixed with some irreverence and idiocy just for fun. Take it with a grain of salt if someone rubs you the wrong way, as it is a right of passage for newbies. They want to see if you will do your own searching and ask clarifying questions along the way or expect someone to do it for you.

I am interested in this swap because I have an Austin Healey Sprite that needs a Miata swap eventually, and damn the guys who say I can't use a 1.6 in it because I've measured and it fits better than the 1.8.
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
I am interested in this swap because I have an Austin Healey Sprite that needs a Miata swap eventually, and damn the guys who say I can't use a 1.6 in it because I've measured and it fits better than the 1.8.
A tighter fit is always more fun
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 10
Total Cats: -5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
It can be done! The 1.6 is a robust little engine with a forged crankshaft. A downfall of the early 1.6 engines was a short nose crankshaft that would often develop a problem with the balancer keyway being wallowed out. Ensure that your keyway is in good shape before performing the swap. The later 1.6 engines had longer nose crankshafts.

Many people on this forum are down on the 1.6 engines because the 1.8 engines had better breathing heads and a few other things, but other than the keyway issue, they are pretty sturdy. The engines use the same connecting rods and a many other components. They are slightly shorter in overall length than the 1.8 engines, but not by much.

They are fine to turbocharge and are typically good for twice the stock horsepower without internal modifications. But you will need to study up on coolant reroutes and other modifications before going that far with it. A small amount of boost is much easier than a large amount when it comes to the necessity and severity of supporting modifications.

It should likely already make 50% more power than the Datsun engine that is coming out of the car, so why not get used to that first and see what the chassis can handle?

By the way, this forum is tough on people that ask questions without reading the sticky'd threads or using the search button first. They see it as lazy and you should likely expect some hazing for doing it. These are DIY guys who do their own research and report back here, so there are thousands of pages of excellent reference material in this forum, mixed with some irreverence and idiocy just for fun. Take it with a grain of salt if someone rubs you the wrong way, as it is a right of passage for newbies. They want to see if you will do your own searching and ask clarifying questions along the way or expect someone to do it for you.

I am interested in this swap because I have an Austin Healey Sprite that needs a Miata swap eventually, and damn the guys who say I can't use a 1.6 in it because I've measured and it fits better than the 1.8.
After I posted this, I started looking through the threads and realized how inch the people here despise a noob who doesn't do his research. oops. I guess I'm a bit impatient at the moment.

Austin Healy? I'd love to see that swap. Sounds like it would be 1 of a kind. Well I guess I'll be starting my research on this subject.
Connisuer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,119
Total Cats: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connisuer311 View Post
After I posted this, I started looking through the threads and realized how inch the people here despise a noob who doesn't do his research. oops. I guess I'm a bit impatient at the moment.

Austin Healy? I'd love to see that swap. Sounds like it would be 1 of a kind. Well I guess I'll be starting my research on this subject.
BUT... you didnt really ask any dumb questions, you just stated your intentions truthfully, and posted a pic, so not too bad of a start. lol
Very cool car by the way!!!
supercooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,669
Total Cats: 1,560
Default

Yeah, you'll be fine here. I haven't done the swap. But the engine and transmission are out of the Healey.
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,860
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

Welcome, Connisuer311. Check out the Miata Gallery and post up some pics!
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:03 AM   #8
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
Total Cats: 0
Default

welcome!! are you on facebook? join the local miata vegas page.. Las Vegas Roadster Community
sleekcesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:12 AM   #9
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
Total Cats: 0
Default

sleekcesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #10
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 10
Total Cats: -5
Default

Hey sleekcesar thanks, just joined
Connisuer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mazduh's MSM second coming... Mazduh Build Threads 95 05-17-2016 01:10 AM
Track Video & Bluetooth MS3 Questions ofspunk7 General Miata Chat 3 08-31-2015 03:14 PM
Dan Wheldon killed in crash at Vegas GeneSplicer Insert BS here 17 10-20-2011 04:43 AM
New turbo NA in North Las Vegas hochkis Meet and Greet 1 07-16-2011 09:03 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:24 AM.