New from East Coast.. - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Meet and Greet Say Hi. De-noob yourself.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2010, 06:25 AM   #1
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
Posts: 189
Total Cats: 0
Default New from East Coast..

Name is Isaac, currently have a 94 with a custom/homebrew turbo setup on my stock 1.8.

Garrett T3 on 12.5psi (.42/.48)
Log Manifold
2.5" Exhaust
Megasquirt 1
RX7 Injectors
ACT Clutch
Etc...Etc...
No pix, or dyno numbers at the moment, guessing around 220ish range?


This site is LOADED with info, been eavesdropping for about a day now just reading up on lots of good ideas and stealing some of my own for possible future use. Figured it was time for me to make an intro (a weak one at that).
Just got out of the "Honda scene" and happy I did.
BoostedTrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:54 AM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
kotomile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 7,578
Total Cats: 40
Default

Welcome to the site, put your location in your profile.
kotomile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:04 AM   #3
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
Posts: 189
Total Cats: 0
Default

thank you sir, looking for some good info on T3 setups on Miatas, any members in particular I should be looking for?
BoostedTrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:16 AM   #4
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,105
Total Cats: 518
Default

State would be more helpful. The southeast is kinda big.

Don't nessicarily stick to your turbo setup, look at everyone's build thread for ideas, weight savings, power mods, etc.
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:47 AM   #5
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
Posts: 189
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly View Post
State would be more helpful. The southeast is kinda big.

Don't nessicarily stick to your turbo setup, look at everyone's build thread for ideas, weight savings, power mods, etc.
Fayetteville, NC to be precise sorry lol. Or Fort Bragg pretty much, I refer to my residence as Fort Bragg before I say Fayetteville just because its so big, and most people know the base but not the city lol.

I was really just curious what kind of power "street" T3 cars are making on here, trying to get an idea of what kind of power I will make on my own personal setup whenever I get to the dyno.
BoostedTrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,847
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedTrixx View Post
thank you sir, looking for some good info on T3 setups on Miatas, any members in particular I should be looking for?

me. what size compressor is your t3?
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:33 AM   #7
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
Posts: 189
Total Cats: 0
Default

I havent measured the inducer/exducer myself, but I believe its a 45 trim? .42 compressor A/R...

Garrett standard T3, .42/.48....

Its not the Ford SVO because I dont have the flanged compressor inlet pipe, and its not a Volvo T3 that I know of because it has a normal T3 flange not the oval-centered Volvo flange.

Any info on this particular turbo Braineack?

Edit: I think its the SVO that has the flanged compressor inlet correct? Or is that the Thunderbird?
BoostedTrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #8
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,662
Total Cats: 1,560
Default

Peruse the Dynos and Timesheets section if you would like numbers.

Have you checked out the FAQ thread? Lots of good info can be found there.

My brother is at Ft. Bragg so you've probably met him. It's such a small post and everybody knows everybody, hehe.
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:53 AM   #9
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,847
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

That wheel is a bit small; the smallest of the T3s. So it will perform like a smaller turbo, but it will run out of steam before 220rwhp, much like a GT2554.

I was running the Super 60 wheel for years and then decided to try out an ebay 50 trim T3 for fun. Still running it.

Here's what my 50 trim is running around 12-14psi:


should look better next time I dyno, as my EMS is much improved.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:01 AM   #10
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
Posts: 189
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
That wheel is a bit small; the smallest of the T3s. So it will perform like a smaller turbo, but it will run out of steam before 220rwhp, much like a GT2554.

I was running the Super 60 wheel for years and then decided to try out an ebay 50 trim T3 for fun. Still running it.

Here's what my 50 trim is running around 12-14psi:


should look better next time I dyno, as my EMS is much improved.

In this case, I should be riding the backend of the efficiency range according to my compressor map if im in the 12-15psi range then correct? That is if it is a 45 trim of course. I particularly like the spool characteristics of the turbo, but yet it does seem to fall flat on its face. Ive driven a 1.6 Miata with a .57 trim t3/t4, it was quite too laggy for me though, seeing full 9psi right around the 5k range IIRC!!!


sixshooter- lol I understand, Im not actually in the military though, I just live right off base practically so I tell people I live in Fort Bragg, I live kinda in the sticks over here by Fayetteville motorsports park.
BoostedTrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #11
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,847
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

lolz at a t3/t4 on a 1.6L.

the super 60 did much better top end:
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #12
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
Posts: 189
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
lolz at a t3/t4 on a 1.6L.

the super 60 did much better top end:
Ahhh ok, so you ran a T3 S60 with a .48 backside, then stepped down to a 50 trim with the same hotside or bigger?

So theoretically its my compressor running out of air up top that gives it that "fall on its face" feeling? Or is that the small turbine AR?
BoostedTrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:29 AM   #13
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,847
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

basically. bought an eBay chinacharger just to see what it could do, trying to get a little better mid-range torque, which is what I do. I increase boost after 5K to battle to torque loss, have yet to dyno it in the last year.

it the small compressor running outside it's heat efficiency window. the 45 trim is only good for 24 lb/min, so around 240BHP or 225rwhp at best. I see no need to go over the Stage-I/.48 housing with power goals under 300rwhp.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #14
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
Posts: 189
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
basically. bought an eBay chinacharger just to see what it could do, trying to get a little better mid-range torque, which is what I do. I increase boost after 5K to battle to torque loss, have yet to dyno it in the last year.

it the small compressor running outside it's heat efficiency window. the 45 trim is only good for 24 lb/min, so around 240BHP or 225rwhp at best. I see no need to go over the Stage-I/.48 housing with power goals under 300rwhp.
Dont have that Super 60 anymore do ya lol? Maybe thats the route I need to go, give me YOUR opinion on the situation, should I ditch the Garrett for a Chinacharger .50 trim, or find a Super 60? Or hell is it possible to just bolt on a Super 60 compressor housing and wheel in place of my little 45 trim? (its a street car, with highway pulls the most terror it ever sees)
BoostedTrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:53 AM   #15
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,847
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

I still have it sitting in a box. I wanted to swap it back in but got lazy. if you can get the compressor housing as well, you can bolt any 60mm T3 wheel onto your current turbo.

I have a spare 50 trim genuine garrett wheel I wanted to swap on as well to compare, but again, got lazy.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:58 AM   #16
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
Posts: 189
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
I still have it sitting in a box. I wanted to swap it back in but got lazy. if you can get the compressor housing as well, you can bolt any 60mm T3 wheel onto your current turbo.

I have a spare 50 trim genuine garrett wheel I wanted to swap on as well to compare, but again, got lazy.
Haha wouldn't wanna get rid of it would ya? Or even possibly just the compressor parts? Id trade ya my freshly rebuilt Garrett if you wanted or cash!?!?


Edit: unless you have a source to get a genuine Garrett 60mm wheel and housing? I keep coming up with chinachargers when I Ebay 60trim.
BoostedTrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:02 AM   #17
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,847
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

yeah it's tough to find the genuine parts nowadays with teh influx of china parts.

I don't want to part with any of my spare parts.

here's one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wow-N...Q5fAccessories

now you just need to find a compressor housing that fits.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:08 AM   #18
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
Posts: 189
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
yeah it's tough to find the genuine parts nowadays with teh influx of china parts.

I don't want to part with any of my spare parts.

here's one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wow-N...Q5fAccessories

now you just need to find a compressor housing that fits.
Thank you sir for the source! Just to make sure I'm right, the Ford SVO and TBird had 60 trims correct?

If you ever want to sell that Super 60, ill still be interested!

Very helpful site Braineack, picked up 3 days worth of researching in 1 night reading and talking to people on this site, thanks again!
BoostedTrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:08 AM   #19
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
kotomile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 7,578
Total Cats: 40
Default

Bragg, you say? I'm stationed at Bragg but deployed ATM, we ought to get together and do Miata stuff sometime late next year.
kotomile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:13 AM   #20
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
Posts: 189
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotomile View Post
Bragg, you say? I'm stationed at Bragg but deployed ATM, we ought to get together and do Miata stuff sometime late next year.
Id be game! I dont really know any of these guys around here, moved down here from Cincinatti...my good friend from High School just came back from Iraq, did a tour in Afghanistan and Iraq and the ******* isnt even old enough to drink yet haha.

Greddy Miata eh?? Impressive numbers there, correct me if I'm wrong but Greddy kit includes a TD04 correct?
BoostedTrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turbo 1995 Miata Low mileage Clean Tekel Cars for sale/trade 29 02-05-2016 05:16 PM
94-97 JR Header, FM Stage 1 Happy Meal, Carillo rods & Supertech Pistons eddy1128 Miata parts for sale/trade 8 12-10-2015 06:34 PM
ECT Gumball race ct to long island. miatamike203 Local Meets, Events and Tech Days 11 09-25-2010 05:02 PM
Thousand Suns International Road Course, in East Tennessee flier129 Media 8 01-14-2010 08:47 AM
Type-S BOV Newbsauce Miata parts for sale/trade 4 03-25-2008 12:36 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:42 AM.