New to the forum - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Meet and Greet Say Hi. De-noob yourself.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 4
Total Cats: 0
Default New to the forum

hi everyone

just bought a 1997 1.8 turbo from a guy in my area.
i'm from orlando, the UCF area
the turbo system is kind of a homebrew kit that the previous owner put together
he said it was an hks manifold, sequential blow off valve, i think he said something about the turbo being from an eclipse or something like that
stock injectors and stock ecu. there is a 550cc injector set up right before the intake manifold in the piping set to turn on at full throttle
i'm looking to get a piggyback and 305cc injectors, from what i've read that should work well

the turbo seems to need new bearings, has shaft play....easier to get a new turbo?
it definitely needs a new oil return on the oil pan, its leaking some oil and the car burns oil like crazy when i first start it. i'm assuming its because the seals on the turbo may be no good anymore mostly because the guy before me put the oil return on the lowest part of the oil pan
i had a n/a gti before this miata so i've never owned a turbo car.
any advice would be great and i'll be posting alot of stupid noob questions haha. after i use the search of course.

anyway, let me know what you guys think.
Attached Thumbnails
New to the forum-photo_021909_002.jpg   New to the forum-photo_021909_001.jpg   New to the forum-photo_021909_003.jpg   New to the forum-photo_022009_001.jpg  

Last edited by turbo97; 02-20-2009 at 05:11 PM.
turbo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
Slowest Progress Ever
iTrader: (26)
 
thirdgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The coal ridden hills of Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,812
Total Cats: 187
Default

Welcome! Where are you from? What turbo is on the car? What are the other specs of the car? What fuel management are you running?
thirdgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
Elite Member
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sunny Spanish speaking Non US Caribbean
Posts: 3,257
Total Cats: 3
Default

Welcome. Please post your location below your Avatar.

Needs bigger wheels!
Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:35 PM   #4
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,900
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

More details on the turbo...thing looks HUGE.

-1 on the tiny radiator...

Quote:
there is a 550cc injector set up right before the intake manifold in the piping set to turn on at full throttle
i'm looking to get a piggyback and 305cc injectors, from what i've read that should work well
working well is subjective...

Quote:
may be no good anymore mostly because the guy before me put the oil return on the lowest part of the oil pan
should be one of your first projects...this is why the turbo smokes.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:03 PM   #5
Slowest Progress Ever
iTrader: (26)
 
thirdgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The coal ridden hills of Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,812
Total Cats: 187
Default

Now that is a turbo. T3 / T4 Hybrid?
thirdgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #6
Senior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
nicacus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SLC UT
Posts: 1,133
Total Cats: 0
Default

Needs more air filter
nicacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:45 PM   #7
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 19
Total Cats: 0
Default

Hey another orlando member, welcome. Did you find that car on craigslist by chance?
RCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:49 PM   #8
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,797
Total Cats: 248
Default

Holy **** that turbo looks huge. Needs a bigger radiator and an air filter. And some tidying up in general.
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:09 PM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
samnavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Posts: 6,020
Total Cats: 175
Default

WOW! That's a pretty terrible build.

If the guy told you it was from a DSM, he was full of ****. DSM T25's are half that size. It's a big T3 or equivalent at a minimum.

Using a WOT switch to control the injector means that any time you are in boost but not at WOT, you are boosting on a completely stock fuel system because I don't see anything to indicate otherwise. Doing that is an instant recipe for a blown motor. I can't see how the thing has managed to survive if that's the case. The only thing that's probably saved that engine so far is 93octane avail in FL.

The size of the radiator probably means the thing runs stupid hot and the head gasket between cylinder 3-4 is hanging on by it's last *** hair.

What does the boost curve look like? When does it spool and how much does it make? If it runs any more than about 5psi, I'd loosen the wastegate arm and keep your foot off the gas until you can get some real engine management.

No matter what, you need wideband right now!
samnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:22 AM   #10
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Malibu, CA
Posts: 749
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicacus View Post
Needs more air filter
+1 Did he really sell it to you like that?
speedf50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #11
Elite Member
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sunny Spanish speaking Non US Caribbean
Posts: 3,257
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnavy View Post
WOW! That's a pretty terrible build.

If the guy told you it was from a DSM, he was full of ****. DSM T25's are half that size. It's a big T3 or equivalent at a minimum.

Using a WOT switch to control the injector means that any time you are in boost but not at WOT, you are boosting on a completely stock fuel system because I don't see anything to indicate otherwise. Doing that is an instant recipe for a blown motor. I can't see how the thing has managed to survive if that's the case. The only thing that's probably saved that engine so far is 93octane avail in FL.

The size of the radiator probably means the thing runs stupid hot and the head gasket between cylinder 3-4 is hanging on by it's last *** hair.

What does the boost curve look like? When does it spool and how much does it make? If it runs any more than about 5psi, I'd loosen the wastegate arm and keep your foot off the gas until you can get some real engine management.

No matter what, you need wideband right now!

Wow Sam!

Whenever I need a diagnosis, I'm going to present you with pics
Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #12
Senior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
nicacus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SLC UT
Posts: 1,133
Total Cats: 0
Default

I think we scared him away
nicacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:53 PM   #13
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 4
Total Cats: 0
Default

haha no i'm still here
yeah i know it needs work but i'm tyring, i'm new to turbo engines so any advice you guys have is welcome
turbo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:00 PM   #14
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,687
Total Cats: 1,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo97 View Post
haha no i'm still here
yeah i know it needs work but i'm tyring, i'm new to turbo engines so any advice you guys have is welcome
They can help you if you answer some of their questions and provide some close-up shots of all of the components of the turbo system. Lots of pictures will help your cause a great deal, and get you some more concrete advice.
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:27 PM   #15
:(
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nowhere
Posts: 8,281
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo97 View Post
haha no i'm still here
yeah i know it needs work but i'm tyring, i'm new to turbo engines so any advice you guys have is welcome
You have a hell of a lot of learning to do man. Get on some reading etc and learn the basics throw us some more info and you will be more than happy with the car im sure. If not we can show u how to make it where u will stay happy.
magnamx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:31 PM   #16
Newb
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 29
Total Cats: 0
Default

Welcome!
keg97 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moroso Air Oil Separator Catch Can Aroundcorner Miata parts for sale/trade 2 10-01-2015 04:20 PM
VR6 to Miata Swap ScrapinMX5 Meet and Greet 8 09-28-2015 02:04 PM
another noob kr307 Meet and Greet 1 09-26-2015 11:33 AM
Microsoft Edge browser & MT.NET bahurd Front Desk 0 09-21-2015 09:45 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:51 PM.