Noob from Indiana - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Meet and Greet Say Hi. De-noob yourself.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Seymour, Indiana
Posts: 7
Total Cats: 0
Default Noob from Indiana

Hi,

My name is Lance and I am from Seymour, Indiana. I am not new to cars by a long shot. We have owned Camaros, Corvettes, Porsches, Subarus, old Lotuses and such. I am here because I am to the point where I want dwell into the engine tuning aspect of cars. The mechanical aspect I probably will not have too much trouble with, but I am week in the electronics area. I am really wanting to learn the stand-alone stuff.

My current car is a 1997 Mazda Miata that I will be using as a "Lab Rat". I am looking for a Hardtop for it if anyone has one close by at a reasonable cost, preferably black. I am not looking to build a Monster car, just looking for a toy that could also be daily driven with reliability. Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Lance
4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 235
Default

Another Cummins engineer? I've got a neighbor who works in the high horsepower division, but he's usually in Columbus.

This is definitely the place to be to learn about megasquirt and tuning.
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Seymour, Indiana
Posts: 7
Total Cats: 0
Default

Hi Steve,

Nope, not an engineer, but did go to school for it. My dad is currently retired from Cummins, but worked for Porsche Motorsports in the late '80s early '90s. I am about 15 Minutes from the Cummins plant in Walesboro.

Megasquirt seems to come up a lot when discussing engine tuning these days. Seems like it would be a good system to start with. I will need to check their site out thoroughly and search the forum well.

lance
4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 235
Default

Right on, I know there's another guy from Columbus on the forum that races Miatas.

If you're looking for a hard top, check the Indiana Miata Owners facebook group, I got one for $600 I think it was.
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Erat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,196
Total Cats: 260
Default

Welcome to the site. If you're looking for a toy and want to learn something, you should REALLY look into getting a DIYPNP kit. Basically you build your own megasquirt to PnP into the car. You can download basemaps and then go about tuning it.

You're in the right spot without a doubt if you want to go about learning this. If you stick around and do some reading you will enjoy your stay here. I would install the standalone on a N/A car before doing it with a turbo.
Erat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,460
Total Cats: 782
Default

Hi Lance,

I've got a buddy, name is Gary (Gariathon) down in Seymour that messes with shitty cars like me.

I'm near-ish to Steve, i met Steve at my shop and he didn't rape me, so that was nice.

I know next to nothing about Megasquirt, but will gladly **** up your car if you ever need help.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
I'm near-ish to Steve, i met Steve at my shop and he didn't rape me
...yet.
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Seymour, Indiana
Posts: 7
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenuge26 View Post
Right on, I know there's another guy from Columbus on the forum that races Miatas.

If you're looking for a hard top, check the Indiana Miata Owners facebook group, I got one for $600 I think it was.
I probably raced against him. "Corky" (my spec-miata), has not been on the track since 2006. Sorry, I don't do facebook. What color is your hardtop? Condition?
4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,460
Total Cats: 782
Default

He doesn't have one for sale, he's saying he paid $600 for his from someone on that Facebook group.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:19 PM   #10
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Seymour, Indiana
Posts: 7
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erat View Post
Welcome to the site. If you're looking for a toy and want to learn something, you should REALLY look into getting a DIYPNP kit. Basically you build your own megasquirt to PnP into the car. You can download basemaps and then go about tuning it.

You're in the right spot without a doubt if you want to go about learning this. If you stick around and do some reading you will enjoy your stay here. I would install the standalone on a N/A car before doing it with a turbo.
Hey Dillon,

Good idea about doing the standalone as an N/A first. Safer way to figure out what I am doing wrong first and move up from there.
4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Seymour, Indiana
Posts: 7
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
Hi Lance,

I've got a buddy, name is Gary (Gariathon) down in Seymour that messes with shitty cars like me.

I'm near-ish to Steve, i met Steve at my shop and he didn't rape me, so that was nice.

I know next to nothing about Megasquirt, but will gladly **** up your car if you ever need help.
Hi Ben,

Shop, what shop? I may need your help with my shitty ones sometime. My wife kind helps make them that way, bless her heart. I won't let her touch the good ones.
4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Seymour, Indiana
Posts: 7
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
He doesn't have one for sale, he's saying he paid $600 for his from someone on that Facebook group.
Gotcha Ben. He paid a fair price then if it was in good shape. I see them for $1000 all the time, and I am like WHAT!!!
4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:33 PM   #13
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,460
Total Cats: 782
Default

It's really just a big-ish 2 car garage i rent with my buddy in Lawrence/Oaklandon area, but there's enough **** in it at the moment that i just call it "the shop."

More than welcome to bring the car up to work on it if you need a hand/tools/whatever. The only stipulation is at the moment, can't have anything stay overnight unattended. Once i get the two cars i'm working on currently cleared out, i don't plan on starting another project for another couple months, so cars can stay overnight if need be.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:58 PM   #14
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Seymour, Indiana
Posts: 7
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
It's really just a big-ish 2 car garage i rent with my buddy in Lawrence/Oaklandon area, but there's enough **** in it at the moment that i just call it "the shop."

More than welcome to bring the car up to work on it if you need a hand/tools/whatever. The only stipulation is at the moment, can't have anything stay overnight unattended. Once i get the two cars i'm working on currently cleared out, i don't plan on starting another project for another couple months, so cars can stay overnight if need be.
Thanks for the offer. I should be getting some garage space this winter after I clean everyone's junk out of mine. Plan on getting a hold of the Miata for the winter when my wife moves on to her Subaru. Both are old beaters that are on their way to becoming my toys.
4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:52 AM   #15
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,847
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

Thanks for joining, 4play!
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota Pickup Engine Swap B.S. Monk Build Threads 24 12-11-2016 03:21 PM
96 montego blue nOOb from Milwaukee Squiblez Meet and Greet 1 09-23-2015 02:50 AM
VE analyze and Autotune seems funny (noob) TorqueZombie MEGAsquirt 64 09-18-2015 06:03 PM
Mystery Engine Trouble. Halp, mt.net! vehicular General Miata Chat 12 09-14-2015 04:17 PM
Compression test results Colipto General Miata Chat 3 09-11-2015 02:44 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:28 AM.