Is that a pink miata? - Page 4 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Meet and Greet Say Hi. De-noob yourself.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2014, 10:52 PM   #61
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 55
Total Cats: -22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
I don't need a lesson about Mines.

I'm asking really simple and easy questions, and none of you can answer them.
Because none of you really even know. All you're doing is regurgitating misinformation and passing it on. .
Unless you meet someone who had their car tuned by Mines in the 90's that is all your going to get. How much psi do you think that snail is making I would be shocked if it was higher than 6 psi.

What is your concern that its going to run lean? Install a logging wideband and keep an eye on it?

What is your solution?
zoomazoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:30 AM   #62
Slowest Progress Ever
iTrader: (26)
 
thirdgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The coal ridden hills of Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,806
Total Cats: 183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomazoomzoom View Post
What is your solution?
Solution is to see it go "zoom a zoom zoom zoom", not a "boom boom".
(Just shake your rump)
thirdgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:08 AM   #63
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,187
Total Cats: 2,583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomazoomzoom View Post
Unless you meet someone who had their car tuned by Mines in the 90's that is all your going to get. How much psi do you think that snail is making I would be shocked if it was higher than 6 psi.

What is your concern that its going to run lean? Install a logging wideband and keep an eye on it?

What is your solution?
solution is to not run janky parts

the miata is one of the cheapest and easiest cars to modify.

it makes me want to cry when people still complain about spending $300-600 on a full on engine management system that enables you to do whatever you want pretty much.

and you know what? if a full on MS3x and ID1000 injectors were $50, and EFR's and baller tubular manifolds were $30, people like you would still complain and buy janky parts.

if you don't have the money, don't mod the car.

pretty simple if you ask me.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:29 AM   #64
Slowest Progress Ever
iTrader: (26)
 
thirdgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The coal ridden hills of Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,806
Total Cats: 183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
if you don't have the money, don't mod the car.

pretty simple if you ask me.
It doesn't get any simpler than that.
Miatas are the best car to make faster than anything else for the lowest amount of money.
I am a cheap ***, but my car is beautiful. It's not some primered up dorifto banged up pos, it has quality parts on it. I cheaped out and had to do things right the second time. Lesson learned. Hell, even Hondas ain't cheap to get ecu's for...my buddy's girl was just telling me the other day she'd like k-pro for her rsx type-s, but it's a $1,000. Megasquirt is not the only option, but it's cheaper than pretty much any other quality ecu, and you can do ANYTHING with it. MT.net is about DIY setups and custom ECU's both tailored to how each individual wants their car to perform. It's also a database filled with the largest amount of "how not to turn your turbo Miata's block into a vent to atmosphere dumpster queen."
Use the advice. It's 2014, not 1993. Take the Mines ecu out for a beer (cause it's so old it probably won't even get carded), hop in the Delorean, and come back to the future where the rest of us are not wondering why our motors aren't blowing up.
thirdgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:47 AM   #65
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 55
Total Cats: -22
Default

I get it I do. I am waiting for megasquirt for my turbo set up. I have bigger goals 200-225 RWHP will not work without anything but a standalone MS type ECU. I think you guys are tripping. That ECU if it came as a kit will work with that turbo and not ruin the motor. It won't give the car a ton of extra HP but it would be better than stock.
zoomazoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:50 AM   #66
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,187
Total Cats: 2,583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomazoomzoom View Post
I get it I do. I am waiting for megasquirt for my turbo set up. I have bigger goals 200-225 RWHP will not work without anything but a standalone MS type ECU. I think you guys are tripping. That ECU if it came as a kit will work with that turbo and not ruin the motor. It won't give the car a ton of extra HP but it would be better than stock.
stock ecu + boost = boom

anything.....I repeat, anything will be better than stock.

but doesn't mean it's not crap. for example: how does a mines ecu determine load/boost and when to switch to open loop?

You see where I'm going? You're basing your whole argument on one thing



"mines was a legit company 35 years ago"



Seriously. Just stop.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:18 AM   #67
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 55
Total Cats: -22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
stock ecu + boost = boom

anything.....I repeat, anything will be better than stock.

but doesn't mean it's not crap. for example: how does a mines ecu determine load/boost and when to switch to open loop?

You see where I'm going? You're basing your whole argument on one thing



"mines was a legit company 35 years ago"



Seriously. Just stop.
Your position is exactly the same as saying you can't ride a horse because cars have been invented.
zoomazoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:48 AM   #68
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Meridian, Mississippi
Posts: 637
Total Cats: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomazoomzoom View Post
Your position is exactly the same as saying you can't ride a horse because cars have been invented.
Nope. He is saying if you want to travel faster than 40 mph, a horse is not your best option. If you want boost 35 year old tech is not your best option.

Just had a big blow out on miata.net about BOV's and weather or not they are needed... the guy kept bringing up that his volvo from the 80's didn't have a BOV... ****, he was lucky it had fuel injection!

With very few exceptions technology improves as time passes. Old tech may work, but nobody is going to give up their smart phone for a flip phone and a PDA... even if that combination is almost as effective as the smartphone.

Keith
Twodoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:06 AM   #69
Hug Life
iTrader: (3)
 
Monk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Huntington, Indiana
Posts: 2,803
Total Cats: 494
Default

Hey zoomazoomzoom, this is completely unrelated, but do you still have that My Little Brony coloring book for sale?
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:06 AM   #70
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 55
Total Cats: -22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodoor View Post
Nope. He is saying if you want to travel faster than 40 mph, a horse is not your best option. If you want boost 35 year old tech is not your best option
Keith
No that is what I'm saying . 18 is saying her motor will splooge. Others are saying it will go boom.

Its much smarter to do it right the first time. But if she only wants 5psi that kit will deliver.
zoomazoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:06 AM   #71
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 55
Total Cats: -22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
Hey zoomazoomzoom, this is completely unrelated, but do you still have that My Little Brony coloring book for sale?
I wish !
zoomazoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #72
Sadfab Union President
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,690
Total Cats: 113
Default

A horse is not a good analogy.

A better one would be injecting the horse with some random steroids you found for cheap, hoping it runs faster. Steroids come in needles, so obviously it's steroids if you have to inject it, right?

And the needle (might have) came with the horse, so surly it works with the horse? I mean it's not like two different horses ever need different medications or care, am I right? Hell, maybe that horse had a 200LPH water bowl, but somehow they didn't come with your horse and roids'. I wonder what happens if you make him run with a stock water bowl?

Sounds like a great plan. Make sure to install a wideband so you can watch as it goes lean, not that you'll be able to do anything about it.
deezums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:04 PM   #73
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 55
Total Cats: -22
Default

might have to just agree to disagree. My argument is that although it sucks compared to what is available today the old tech still works in a rich low boost environment.

I read your arguments as that the old tech doesn't work anymore because something better came out.
zoomazoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:06 PM   #74
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomazoomzoom View Post
Unless you meet someone who had their car tuned by Mines in the 90's that is all your going to get. How much psi do you think that snail is making I would be shocked if it was higher than 6 psi.
It'll make whatever you tell it to make.

Quote:
What is your concern that its going to run lean? Install a logging wideband and keep an eye on it?

What is your solution?
Solution: Don't use the Mine's.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #75
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,187
Total Cats: 2,583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomazoomzoom View Post
might have to just agree to disagree. My argument is that although it sucks compared to what is available today the old tech still works in a rich low boost environment.

I read your arguments as that the old tech doesn't work anymore because something better came out.


I'm not even going to waste any more time.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #76
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 55
Total Cats: -22
Default

Barbie seriously don't use that mines ecu. You have no way of knowing what was changed on it and how it will ruin your motor in spectacular fashion. If you can't afford megasquirt ($400 used) get greddy emanage it sucks but you can be safe.

Mines will destroy your motor through violent detonation the first time the turbo spools up.
zoomazoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #77
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 782
Default

Yeah, that didn't make it any better.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:05 PM   #78
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 55
Total Cats: -22
Default

ouch I lost another meaningless prop point

I am against any argument that is based on old tech doesn't work because new tech exists. Greddy emanage is pretty old tech but much safer than that Mines ECU.
zoomazoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:12 PM   #79
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,187
Total Cats: 2,583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomazoomzoom View Post
ouch I lost another meaningless prop point

I am against any argument that is based on old tech doesn't work because new tech exists. Greddy emanage is pretty old tech but much safer than that Mines ECU.
NO ONE IS MAKING THAT ARGUMENT HERE!!!

Can you read that? Or should I make it brighter and bigger?
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #80
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 782
Default

In my case... you need to know who you're talking to.

I wouldn't use the Mine's because you don't know what the **** it was tuned for. I wouldn't use the E-manage, because it just sucks.

Attached Thumbnails
Is that a pink miata?-20121021_225247.jpg  
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
LucaCarMods's Boosted Dutch Miata Build! LucaCarMods Build Threads 11 02-14-2016 07:13 AM
New M62 Miata owner Pist0n Meet and Greet 4 10-01-2015 09:18 PM
WTB HPDE miata - Texas Voltwings Cars for sale/trade 0 09-27-2015 07:40 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:54 PM.