a little hard to start - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


MEGAsquirt A place to collectively sort out this megasquirt gizmo

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 78
Total Cats: -7
Default a little hard to start

I've got an MS3 basic and I've street tuned it with auto-tune and I have my timing table where I want it. The car is running really good with just a slight dip in the idle when coming to a stop. The only thing that is really bugging me is starting the car up. It seems like it takes it a long time to catch and fire up. Anyone have any insight to getting it back to ane OEM like start-up? The car is a 2000 1.8 NB with a rev built MS3. I hate to bug Rev with every little problem so I thought I'd ask on here first.
6speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 235
Default

Why don't you start by telling us what you have done to tune startup. Anything? Or are you just running off the base settings?

I also have the idle dip when coming to a stop, I have done almost nothing as far as tuning idle though short of tuning the idle VE table.
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 78
Total Cats: -7
Default

As far as start up I am running the settings rev sent it with.
6speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 235
Default

Yeah you're gonna have to tune it to get it to start and idle well. Try searching here or going to MSExtra.com to read about tuning startup and idle. The MSExtra forums are great also.

I set up 2 search engines in chrome to use Google to search here and MSExtra. You can just google 'site:msextra.com <your search here>' to get better results than the forum search.
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,857
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed View Post
just a slight dip in the idle when coming to a stop.
increase your dashpot a little. what is it at now?
or
increase the return fuel at X RPM value in overrun. what is it at now?


Quote:
It seems like it takes it a long time to catch and fire up. Anyone have any insight to getting it back to ane OEM like start-up?
tune startup.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,982
Total Cats: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed View Post
I've got an MS3 basic and I've street tuned it with auto-tune and I have my timing table where I want it. The car is running really good with just a slight dip in the idle when coming to a stop. The only thing that is really bugging me is starting the car up. It seems like it takes it a long time to catch and fire up. Anyone have any insight to getting it back to ane OEM like start-up? The car is a 2000 1.8 NB with a rev built MS3. I hate to bug Rev with every little problem so I thought I'd ask on here first.
Post your cranking settings and idle settings. It may just be your cranking rpm. How many degrees of timing are you running during cranking?
miatauser884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
increase your dashpot a little. what is it at now?
or
increase the return fuel at X RPM value in overrun. what is it at now?
Question about this, since I feel like increasing my dashpot adder would solve the 'almost stalling at stops' but increase my problem of 'idle at 2200rpm after I get off the highway'. I'm guessing I'm using 'last known value' and the last known value was when the car was still cold (before I got on the highway). Is it possible to tune that out or should I switch to the initial values table and start tuning that?
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 78
Total Cats: -7
Default

My dashpot adder is set to 3.1. I can't find the "return fuel in overrun".
6speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #9
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 78
Total Cats: -7
Default

I had the time to tinker a little today and I found that it really helped to drop my cranking rpm from 300 to about 225. The car catches and fires quickly now.
6speed is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 57 07-19-2017 05:11 PM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
Time to start learning and play with tuning The Gleas MEGAsquirt 3 10-01-2015 10:30 AM
Leaky Wilwoods mx592 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 1 10-01-2015 01:45 AM
3rd Time's a Charm...hopefully. zephyrusaurai Meet and Greet 2 09-28-2015 11:59 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:27 PM.