Tip in? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


MEGAsquirt A place to collectively sort out this megasquirt gizmo

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2006, 02:36 PM   #1
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Warrington/Birmingham
Posts: 2,658
Total Cats: 39
Default Tip in?

so the tuning begins in earnest, and already I have a question....

when just idling and blipping the throttle, the car stumbles really badly, after that it revs cleanly...... what do i need to adjust?

I've datalogged a few drives and calculated a VE table using megalogviewer (with a NB EGO sensor...) and i've tried doubling the fuel in the low load areas, but it's made no discernable difference. Am I editing the wrong thing?

Thanks!
richyvrlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:12 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 211
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richyvrlimited View Post
so the tuning begins in earnest, and already I have a question....

when just idling and blipping the throttle, the car stumbles really badly, after that it revs cleanly...... what do i need to adjust?

I've datalogged a few drives and calculated a VE table using megalogviewer (with a NB EGO sensor...) and i've tried doubling the fuel in the low load areas, but it's made no discernable difference. Am I editing the wrong thing?

Thanks!

Mine does the SAME exact thing. I havent had chance to try it yet but have been told to work on the Accel Enrichments.
ecugrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:26 PM   #3
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Warrington/Birmingham
Posts: 2,658
Total Cats: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecugrad View Post
Mine does the SAME exact thing. I havent had chance to try it yet but have been told to work on the Accel Enrichments.
Am i being dumb? i can't find accel enrichments option?
richyvrlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:45 PM   #4
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (10)
 
Reverant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 5,440
Total Cats: 198
Default

You really, really need to get a wideband. Save yourself from countless hours of guesswork and desperation. An LC-1 is $199 and works wonders. Other than that, your acceleration enrichments are propably too much (too rich) and you need to get 'em down a bit.

Acceleration enrichments are two pages: Accel decell settings and Acceleration Wizard (or something like that), they are on the same menu as the VE Table and Exhaust Gas settings.
Reverant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:51 PM   #5
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Warrington/Birmingham
Posts: 2,658
Total Cats: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverant View Post
You really, really need to get a wideband. Save yourself from countless hours of guesswork and desperation. An LC-1 is $199 and works wonders. Other than that, your acceleration enrichments are propably too much (too rich) and you need to get 'em down a bit.

Acceleration enrichments are two pages: Accel decell settings and Acceleration Wizard (or something like that), they are on the same menu as the VE Table and Exhaust Gas settings.
Cool thanks Reverant, trust me a WB is on the list as soon as I can afford it!
richyvrlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:51 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 1,168
Total Cats: 0
Default

I've got some pretty good settings on my success story on msefi.com.
Al Hounos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:58 PM   #7
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Warrington/Birmingham
Posts: 2,658
Total Cats: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Hounos View Post
I've got some pretty good settings on my success story on msefi.com.
I'll take a looksie, thanks Al,

I had a play with the two settings that Reverant mentioned, but I've no idea what they're doing, and what I did play with didn't seem to change much :?
richyvrlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:37 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Down Under
Posts: 252
Total Cats: 0
Default

Don't just confine your work to the acceleration enrichments. My car is running very small acceleration enrichments (ie around 0.1 mS at 1500 rpm with the rpm acceleration enabled) and it drives like factory.

Make sure that your VE table gets most of your attention.
Aussie Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:55 PM   #9
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Warrington/Birmingham
Posts: 2,658
Total Cats: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Driver View Post
Don't just confine your work to the acceleration enrichments. My car is running very small acceleration enrichments (ie around 0.1 mS at 1500 rpm with the rpm acceleration enabled) and it drives like factory.

Make sure that your VE table gets most of your attention.
I've messed around with the VE table in low load areas for over half an hour, I'm pretty sure any changes I felt were placebo?

guess I need to keep playing!
richyvrlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:46 AM   #10
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (10)
 
Reverant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 5,440
Total Cats: 198
Default

On your first tuning sessions, you need the "egg-under-gas-pedal" approach. Imagine that you are driving on snow/ice. Don't suddenly press the gas, use slow, smooth movements so that you don't trigger acceleration enrichments. Also, the light load/low rpms will generally take you more than half an hour to get them right. So focus on that first, then mid rpm/loads, high rpm/loads, accel enrichments, idle AFR, warmup/cranking enrichments.

I did mine in that particular order and I am very happy with the whole process and the end result .
Reverant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 02:52 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 211
Total Cats: 0
Default

With regards to using the wideband. Where do you connect it to the MS?
ecugrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 02:59 PM   #12
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Warrington/Birmingham
Posts: 2,658
Total Cats: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecugrad View Post
With regards to using the wideband. Where do you connect it to the MS?
JS5?



I think anyway
richyvrlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[CT] 1999 Mazda Miata 10th Anniversary Edition - $5800 Jike Spingleton Cars for sale/trade 3 09-20-2016 05:33 PM
949 Racing Supermiata Crossflow Radiator (NA/NB fitment version) thumpetto007 General Miata Chat 0 08-30-2015 07:17 PM
Lean Tip in Killing Motors? Slidin'Miata916 Prefabbed Turbo Kits 1 08-06-2007 09:41 AM
I read my spark plugs miataspeed1point6 General Miata Chat 6 05-09-2007 08:28 AM
WTB: cheap 4'' tip "silencer" rotaryjunky WTB 0 12-07-2006 03:15 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:09 PM.