Carbon Fiber or Fiberglass Hardtops - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Miata parts for sale/trade Buy, trade or sell your Miata parts here.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-31-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 220
Total Cats: 0
Default Carbon Fiber or Fiberglass Hardtops

Saw this on craigslist and thought it was a good deal:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/pts/407891395.html
kylelind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:01 PM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Loki047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,145
Total Cats: 0
Default

get an OEM for cheaper, repaint for cheaper. I wouldn't trust them to get it right.
Loki047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Outside of the Loop-ATL
Posts: 754
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki047 View Post
get an OEM for cheaper, repaint for cheaper. I wouldn't trust them to get it right.
OEM for cheaper??? Most OEM go for that cost, unless you find a rare deal, but the avg price for OEM is 800-1000.

If it fits and has all the seals, then thats a good deal. Not the best deal but not a rape you deal.

BTW I believe from the price and the photo that the Carbon hardtop is a carbon, FRP mix. Not a pure Carbon. Still light but not a light as a full Carbon top.
wildfire0310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 05:38 PM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,900
Total Cats: 0
Default

that does look like a good deal... especially since the raw CF piece would look pretty damn nice on a black car. Wonder how long I'd get to keep it before someone stole it.
Arkmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:48 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 259
Total Cats: 0
Default

it only mentions the rear window, but what about hardware?
Flippy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:24 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 338
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfire0310 View Post
OEM for cheaper??? Most OEM go for that cost, unless you find a rare deal, but the avg price for OEM is 800-1000.

If it fits and has all the seals, then thats a good deal. Not the best deal but not a rape you deal.

BTW I believe from the price and the photo that the Carbon hardtop is a carbon, FRP mix. Not a pure Carbon. Still light but not a light as a full Carbon top.
what is FRP mix? and how can you tell anything from the picture whether or not its all carbon fiber or whatever else you think?
Mouglie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:37 AM   #7
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
kotomile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 7,578
Total Cats: 40
Default

FRP = fiber reinforced plastic (fiberglass)

Can't tell by pic (unless you see something I missed), but most CF things out now are mix of CF/FRP, CF on the outside/top to look pretty and FRP below as reinforcement. Many hoods are this way, so it's probably an assumption on wildfire's part.
kotomile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 03:49 PM   #8
Newb
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 39
Total Cats: 0
Default

ANy advice on a carbon fiber hood - weight vs. stock alum? ALso general pricing?
jkballardbpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:27 PM   #9
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Outside of the Loop-ATL
Posts: 754
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotomile View Post
FRP = fiber reinforced plastic (fiberglass)

Can't tell by pic (unless you see something I missed), but most CF things out now are mix of CF/FRP, CF on the outside/top to look pretty and FRP below as reinforcement. Many hoods are this way, so it's probably an assumption on wildfire's part.
The main reason why I say it FRP is that its cheap price. Look at some of the cost of the full carbon tops and they start at 3K a top.

The other is that they don't talk about the weight of the of the Carbon Hardtop. That is the biggest reason for a pure CF HT. IS the weight. Which makes me think FRP.

BTW not ******* on FRP parts, they are great and a good blend of price and weight.
wildfire0310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 01:36 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: FRESNO, CA
Posts: 110
Total Cats: 0
Default

heck i would get one but...arent the oem hardtops frp too?...
o.e.boost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 01:42 AM   #11
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
kotomile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 7,578
Total Cats: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfire0310 View Post
The main reason why I say it FRP is that its cheap price. Look at some of the cost of the full carbon tops and they start at 3K a top.

The other is that they don't talk about the weight of the of the Carbon Hardtop. That is the biggest reason for a pure CF HT. IS the weight. Which makes me think FRP.

BTW not ******* on FRP parts, they are great and a good blend of price and weight.
I understand. I wasn't knocking on you, I agree with you.
kotomile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 01:43 AM   #12
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
kotomile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 7,578
Total Cats: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.e.boost View Post
heck i would get one but...arent the oem hardtops frp too?...
I think plastic? Whatever it is, it's not metal.
kotomile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:15 AM   #13
:(
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nowhere
Posts: 8,281
Total Cats: 2
Default

OE hard top is about 45 lbs. OE hood is 8 lbs not many aftermarket peices that loose wieght there. If you realy wanna cut wieght i would check out RMcwelee's site he has his miata down to 1900 lbs. curb wieght. If it is not 100% CF then it will most likely not wiegh any less. +1 the glass is porbably gonne cost 100$ or so easy. +1 for just finding a local with a OE that doesn't know what he has.
magnamx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 01:40 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 884
Total Cats: 0
Default

How thick is the material on those? aren't OE hardtops pretty thick?
firedog25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 01:55 PM   #15
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Outside of the Loop-ATL
Posts: 754
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamx-5 View Post
OE hard top is about 45 lbs. OE hood is 8 lbs not many aftermarket peices that loose wieght there. If you realy wanna cut wieght i would check out RMcwelee's site he has his miata down to 1900 lbs. curb wieght. If it is not 100% CF then it will most likely not wiegh any less. +1 the glass is porbably gonne cost 100$ or so easy. +1 for just finding a local with a OE that doesn't know what he has.
Well it claims to come with the glass, just has been removed for the photos
wildfire0310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #16
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
akaryrye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Central California
Posts: 2,526
Total Cats: 0
Default

I would be somewhat concerned about final fittment, weatherstripping, and how well it fixes down. For that price I would still have to go for an OEM top because it is a sure thing.
akaryrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:47 PM   #17
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Posts: 3,908
Total Cats: 0
Default

I'd buy one but only after fitting it to the car. Wouldn't buy sight unseen. Anyone gotten any more information from these guys? Would be interested in seeing more pics of the inside/ window/ hardware/ fitment.
cueball1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:44 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 125
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamx-5 View Post
OE hard top is about 45 lbs. OE hood is 8 lbs not many aftermarket peices that loose wieght there. If you realy wanna cut wieght i would check out RMcwelee's site he has his miata down to 1900 lbs. curb wieght. If it is not 100% CF then it will most likely not wiegh any less. +1 the glass is porbably gonne cost 100$ or so easy. +1 for just finding a local with a OE that doesn't know what he has.
OE hood is actually ~18 pounds.
MiaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raleigh: Fiberglass headlight scope, 1.6L ECU, AFM, Hardtop latches, more bigmackloud Miata parts for sale/trade 13 09-22-2017 01:34 PM
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
elesjuan's mediocre 95 Miata adventure (google fiber edition) elesjuan Build Threads 8 02-16-2016 09:36 PM
Mazdaspeed 2.0L C-Spec ITB motor w/ accessories graexodus Miata parts for sale/trade 9 10-25-2015 04:34 PM
Are my coils failing? viriiguy General Miata Chat 5 09-28-2015 08:39 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:00 PM.