WTT: My 3.9 torsen for your 4.3 torsen - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Miata parts for sale/trade Buy, trade or sell your Miata parts here.

Closed Thread
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-04-2014, 10:49 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 75
Total Cats: 0
Default WTT: My 3.9 torsen for your 4.3 torsen

Just like the title says: I have a 3.9 from a NB 6-spd but I'd like to have a 4.3 torsen from the NB 5-spd. You pay shipping both ways and we're good.

Thanks!
unixgeek is offline  
Old 01-05-2014, 04:56 AM   #2
Senior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 581
Total Cats: 4
Default

Whole pumpkin or gears only ?
joyrider is offline  
Old 01-05-2014, 09:59 AM   #3
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 75
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyrider View Post
Whole pumpkin or gears only ?
Diff and Carrier. I don't want to take it apart and reassemble.
unixgeek is offline  
Old 01-05-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4
Total Cats: 0
Default May be interested in the swap

New to Miata's (just purchased 2005 mazdaspeed miata with 58k original miles, all original vehicle), but I don't like the high revs on the interstate. Would this differential that you have change that for me? If so, definitely interested, but don't know much about removing the existing one. Can you work with me on that?
shanewoodsman is offline  
Old 01-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #5
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 75
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanewoodsman View Post
New to Miata's (just purchased 2005 mazdaspeed miata with 58k original miles, all original vehicle), but I don't like the high revs on the interstate. Would this differential that you have change that for me? If so, definitely interested, but don't know much about removing the existing one. Can you work with me on that?
I think that your car already has the 3.9 rear end (although a different LSD design). I'm not certain.
unixgeek is offline  
Old 01-05-2014, 08:47 PM   #6
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4
Total Cats: 0
Default Mine is stock - 2005 MSM

I think it is either the 4.3 or a 4.1, not sure - but it is either what you are looking for, or the next one to it - I saw your classified, and I am just looking to lower my RPM's on the highway, because that is mostly how I drive my cars.

(I did just get an email response from another Miata owner, and he said I need the 3.6 to do what I want the car to do) - SORRY, was trying to help us both!

Last edited by shanewoodsman; 01-05-2014 at 09:01 PM.
shanewoodsman is offline  
Old 01-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #7
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 75
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanewoodsman View Post
I think it is either the 4.3 or a 4.1, not sure - but it is either what you are looking for, or the next one to it - I saw your classified, and I am just looking to lower my RPM's on the highway, because that is mostly how I drive my cars.

(I did just get an email response from another Miata owner, and he said I need the 3.6 to do what I want the car to do) - SORRY, was trying to help us both!
Word. Here's a gearing calculator to see what you need: Flyin' Miata : Technical info : Gearing calculator
unixgeek is offline  
Old 01-06-2014, 10:22 AM   #8
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4
Total Cats: 0
Default Thanks - this differential needs to GO.

Thanks! Great chart!

I need to go to the 3.63 (or maybe even the 3.3 when it is available) - put larger 205 55 15's on it already, but not much of a difference (but definitely a better ride). Now that I have the comfort issue dealt with, need to get the gearing fixed. Thanks to all of you for your help.
shanewoodsman is offline  
Old 01-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #9
Senior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 581
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixgeek View Post
Diff and Carrier. I don't want to take it apart and reassemble.
Willing to sale it and ship it then ? Shipping both ways is prohibitive for the whole thing...
joyrider is offline  
Old 01-06-2014, 04:44 PM   #10
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 75
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyrider View Post
Willing to sale it and ship it then ? Shipping both ways is prohibitive for the whole thing...
Not really. I need to end up with a 4.3 torsen. This seems like the easiest way. What's your estimate for shipping & what does the diff/carrier weigh?

Edit: Obviously, we can remove the back part with the mounting ears to cut down on shipping cost & size.
unixgeek is offline  
Old 01-09-2014, 12:18 AM   #11
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 75
Total Cats: 0
Default

bump it
unixgeek is offline  
Old 01-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #12
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
mr_hyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 799
Total Cats: 25
Default

Shane, the MSM has 4.1 gears if it is stock. The R&P will swap with any 1.8 Miata but the half shafts on the MSM are bigger so you want to just get gears. OP, I have a set of low mile 4.1 R&P I would trade for the 3.9. I could send the gears now and you could return the 3.9 at your convenience. I'd like them by the end of February. Not 4.3, but let me know if you are interested. Not to thread jack but anyone else with a 3.9, I'm WTB/WWT. Thanks.
mr_hyde is offline  
Old 01-09-2014, 01:59 PM   #13
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 75
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_hyde View Post
Shane, the MSM has 4.1 gears if it is stock. The R&P will swap with any 1.8 Miata but the half shafts on the MSM are bigger so you want to just get gears. OP, I have a set of low mile 4.1 R&P I would trade for the 3.9. I could send the gears now and you could return the 3.9 at your convenience. I'd like them by the end of February. Not 4.3, but let me know if you are interested. Not to thread jack but anyone else with a 3.9, I'm WTB/WWT. Thanks.
I'm not interested in the 4.1. It's not the ratio I want and even if it was, those diffs are a dime a dozen. It's not a good trade. Not to jack up your post, but anyone would be better off selling the 3.9, buying a 4.1, and pocketing the extra $$$.
unixgeek is offline  
Old 01-10-2014, 06:22 PM   #14
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Arab AL
Posts: 95
Total Cats: -12
Default

Where are you located? I'd be interested but I'm not sure how much the shipping would be.
BigBird is offline  
Old 01-10-2014, 06:25 PM   #15
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 75
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
Where are you located? I'd be interested but I'm not sure how much the shipping would be.
I'm in Ypsilanti, MI. which is in the SE.

Are you in Dalton, OH? I know some folks around there.
unixgeek is offline  
Old 01-10-2014, 06:59 PM   #16
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Arab AL
Posts: 95
Total Cats: -12
Default

No. I'm all the way in Alabama. I'm worried shipping will be high BUT if your not in a big hurry I'll be near Sandusky Ohio in March and I could bring it and swap
BigBird is offline  
Old 01-11-2014, 09:23 AM   #17
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 75
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
No. I'm all the way in Alabama. I'm worried shipping will be high BUT if your not in a big hurry I'll be near Sandusky Ohio in March and I could bring it and swap
USPS calculator says it will be $42 to ship (using Huntsville, AL).
unixgeek is offline  
Old 01-16-2014, 11:10 PM   #18
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 75
Total Cats: 0
Default



Bump it...
unixgeek is offline  
Old 01-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #19
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6
Total Cats: 0
Default

I'm interested. 4.3 in a '99 with 50k miles. Always had synthetic gear oil.

I'm in mid-north Indiana so we could work out a meet/swap.

I do not have enough messages to PM here, but if you PM me with your e-mail we can follow-up there.
ptrawles is offline  
 
 
Closed Thread

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
[CT] 1999 Mazda Miata 10th Anniversary Edition - $5800 Jike Spingleton Cars for sale/trade 3 09-20-2016 05:33 PM
New personal best 1/8th mile tehzack Dynos and timesheets 10 09-21-2015 07:30 PM
Twitchy car (tail happy problem) bigben Race Prep 16 09-11-2015 04:41 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:56 PM.