Has anyone done a comparison report on all the various tuner options? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


MSPNP MSPNP specific Megasquirt related discussion.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The Fine state of Kentucky.
Posts: 44
Total Cats: 0
Default Has anyone done a comparison report on all the various tuner options?

Just bought an 04 MSM. Thinking about buying a megasquirt PNP (Not sure if they even make one for my car).

Looing at the Hydra, AEM, Link and E-Manage. Like to get a cost comparison and what each one does and doesn't do.

Looking for something like when you buy a new TV at Best buy and you go to the web site and you can see what options and features each one has to offer.

Anything like that?
Red5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 782
Default

My friend, you posted in this very thread yesterday. You should be pretty sure at this point that a PNP Megasquirt IS available for your car.

https://www.miataturbo.net/ms-labs-m...out-now-72244/


Throw out Link and E-manage right away.

Your options are Hydra or Megasquirt if you want PNP. (No PNP option for EMS4 yet.)

Your budget should decide from there.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 235
Default

Honestly, if you are asking this question, you wouldn't understand anything on the comparison list anyway.

There's no easy way to do this, you'll just have to do some research.
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The Fine state of Kentucky.
Posts: 44
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
My friend, you posted in this very thread yesterday. You should be pretty sure at this point that a PNP Megasquirt IS available for your car.

https://www.miataturbo.net/ms-labs-m...out-now-72244/


Throw out Link and E-manage right away.

Your options are Hydra or Megasquirt if you want PNP. (No PNP option for EMS4 yet.)

Your budget should decide from there.

I looked on their web site and it was not listed. Didn't know if mega squirt produced this item or if it had been re-manufactured and re-sold on this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenuge26 View Post
Honestly, if you are asking this question, you wouldn't understand anything on the comparison list anyway.

There's no easy way to do this, you'll just have to do some research.
Why do we all need to re-create the wheel?

Seems that there are a LOT of guys that are very much into tuning on this site. Wouldn't a good comparison chart help all of us?
Red5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red5 View Post
I looked on their web site and it was not listed. Didn't know if mega squirt produced this item or if it had been re-manufactured and re-sold on this site.



Why do we all need to re-create the wheel?

Seems that there are a LOT of guys that are very much into tuning on this site. Wouldn't a good comparison chart help all of us?

When Reverant tells you that it's available on this forum, it's available. He IS MSLabs.

It sounds like you might want to do some reading about what Megasquirt actually is in terms of a circuit board vs. a product.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Ryan_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 2,579
Total Cats: 155
Default

There is a comparison chart on this site. Search for it. As was stated previously, you will probably not fully understand the comparison chart if you have no understanding of ECU's and how they work. You need to do some reading.

EDIT: All of the major ECU's have roughly the same features and any variations between them are usually reserved for those who are using them for very specific purposes, i.e. competitively racing. They will all be more than adequate for your purposes. Stay away from Hydra though because honestly it is 2 to 3 times more expensive and people have tons of problems with it.
Ryan_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,092
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenuge26 View Post
Honestly, if you are asking this question, you wouldn't understand anything on the comparison list anyway.

There's no easy way to do this, you'll just have to do some research.
While true, there's still a bunch of things you wouldnt find from just holding the spec sheets of two standalones next to each other trying to compare them. You'd never know that the EMS4 doenst support VE tuning, and just barely has enough I/Os to run a miata. You'd never know that hydra software from before 2.7 is crap and they have a record of coming out with new features that dont work and making you pay to upgrade to make them work even though you already payed for them. Etc.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
While true, there's still a bunch of things you wouldnt find from just holding the spec sheets of two standalones next to each other trying to compare them. You'd never know that the EMS4 doenst support VE tuning, and just barely has enough I/Os to run a miata. You'd never know that hydra software from before 2.7 is crap and they have a record of coming out with new features that dont work and making you pay to upgrade to make them work even though you already payed for them. Etc.
Arrow button down moves right. Arrow button up moves left.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,186
Total Cats: 2,582
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenuge26 View Post
Honestly, if you are asking this question, you wouldn't understand anything on the comparison list anyway.

.
I want to re-post this over and over again in this thread until OP finally understands that all the info is already provided, all he needs to do is do some homework.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red5 View Post
Why do we all need to re-create the wheel?

Seems that there are a LOT of guys that are very much into tuning on this site. Wouldn't a good comparison chart help all of us?
No, it literally would not help you. I've read comparison charts, and I barely understand 50% of it. There are comparison charts, go find them and look at them to see what I am talking about.

You don't have to re-create the wheel, but you do have to know what friction and inertia are before you can pick which wheel you want.
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help - Stock Balancer and Fastforward overlay pulleys Frank_and_Beans Supercharger Discussion 13 09-12-2016 09:17 PM
WTB MP62 (Hotside) (NB2) Rick02R WTB 3 01-03-2016 08:18 PM
MSPNPPro-MM0105: Coolant Temperature Output slomiata MEGAsquirt 5 10-07-2015 02:11 PM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:06 PM.