Bell kit - Page 4 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Prefabbed Turbo Kits A place to discuss prefabricated turbo kits on the market
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2016, 04:58 PM   #61
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 35,756
Total Cats: 2,492
Default

seriously.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:12 PM   #62
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 343
Total Cats: 33
Default

I think BEGi might be the most shady company I have ever come across.
astral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:18 PM   #63
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hurricane, UT
Posts: 6,881
Total Cats: 521
Default



Still more legit than BEGI.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scam_letter_posted_within_South_Africa.jpg (298.8 KB, 6 views)
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:23 PM   #64
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: North East Iowa
Posts: 45
Total Cats: 0
Default

Well, in their defense. I did get the down pipe loose and positioned in a manner that it no longer locks open. So, there is that.

The rest of the issues,well, had to be redone. So far, I've been offered a call tag for the turbo pipe, FMU and $50 for a local machine shop to fix the turbo. We'll see how it plays out I guess.
mweba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:23 AM   #65
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Posts: 1,293
Total Cats: 22
Default

That's probably the WGA flapper door sticking to the WG port or the barrier they like to weld into the turbo outlet (FM casts this into their elbow which I used). They welded one into my turbo without asking and it was played off like I should expect a turbo-only order to be modified. I only go through them for required items as they frequently have delays as many have experienced.
Der_Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:02 PM   #66
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Kensington, MD
Posts: 315
Total Cats: -22
Default

Just gonna throw this out there: with so much additional work needing to be done, do BEGi's turbo kits really deserve to be discussed under "prefabbed turbo kits?"
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:36 PM   #67
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 343
Total Cats: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
Just gonna throw this out there: with so much additional work needing to be done, do BEGi's turbo kits really deserve to be discussed under "prefabbed turbo kits?"
With my tuners experience, WELDING was required just to get the kit to work. Even though he purchased the kit for an external wastegate, they simply shipped him a turbine housing with an internal wastegate and welded it shut. Very sad that this once great company has fallen into ashes.
astral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:37 PM   #68
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 1,083
Total Cats: 35
Default

It was great to have BEGI come to market with options and great ideas. Execution has been horrible through the years. Corky is a good knowledgeable dude but he needs to re-evaluate who running his business.

If you are on MT and fail to heed the warnings do so at your own peril. With options like TSE there is no need to even entertain this BEGI nonsense.

Best of luck to the OP. You are a patience man my friend!!!
k24madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:44 PM   #69
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 805
Total Cats: 44
Default

I'm wondering why they are still allowed as a vendor here, though I guess forum admins or owners don't really care to get into that stuff.
Mazdaspeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:58 PM   #70
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 35,756
Total Cats: 2,492
Default

$$$
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:19 PM   #71
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,712
Total Cats: 1,082
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdaspeeder View Post
I'm wondering why they are still allowed as a vendor here, though I guess forum admins or owners don't really care to get into that stuff.
They pay their monthly fees and besides the negative threads there are hundreds of people who have not had issues with begi and their setups.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:37 PM   #72
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 805
Total Cats: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
They pay their monthly fees and besides the negative threads there are hundreds of people who have not had issues with begi and their setups.
I'm sure that's the case, but I'm also sure than FM has hundreds of people who have not had any issues with them or their setups, and you don't see negative threads coming up about FM left and right. Maybe they just rectify issues better, maybe their product fits better, who knows. Nobody is invincible, I will admit a local friend had a problem where some of the silicone IC tubing on his FM2 turbo kit didn't fit at all, like not even close, but these issues just seem to plague BEGi much more often.

It's not like an attack on you guys, I'm sure to some extent you HAVE to provide vendors with that status if they are willing to pay the fees and follow forum rules, I just mean I would personally love to tell them no.

Last edited by Mazdaspeeder; 08-03-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Mazdaspeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:38 PM   #73
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 35,756
Total Cats: 2,492
Default

I'd love to hear from those people, because I wonder how many of those just deal with it and not even mention. There was that one guy with he AO that joined a week or two ago that said despite the 4 month wait, most the stuff ended up working and fitting right. I wish more would chime in that had a perfect experience from start to finish.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:08 PM   #74
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,712
Total Cats: 1,082
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdaspeeder View Post
I'm sure that's the case, but I'm also sure than FM has hundreds of people who have not had any issues with them or their setups, and you don't see negative threads coming up about FM left and right. Maybe they just rectify issues better, maybe their product fits better, who knows. Nobody is invincible, I will admit a local friend had a problem where some of the silicone IC tubing on his FM2 turbo kit didn't fit at all, like not even close, but these issues just seem to plague BEGi much more often.

It's not like an attack on you guys, I'm sure to some extent you HAVE to provide vendors with that status if they are willing to pay the fees and follow forum rules, I just mean I would personally love to tell them no.
FM and Begi while selling competing products, serve slightly different market segments. FM caters to a higher end market then Begi does. FM's bread and butter for turbo setups are older males who buy FM2 setups and never touch the hydra. Begi caters much more towards the DIY segment of things. So it would make sense that more of the people buying Begi products and have issues end up on forums talking about it, while people who buy FM and have issues generally are not active on forums and just go to FM for support. The sizes of the companies are vastly different and that changes the level of support that can be offered. I am willing to bet that FM has 4 times the amount of staff that Begi has. In general when there are issues with Begi and they are brought up on here the same groups of people all jump in the threads repeating the same things. So it looks far worse then it probably is. I personally know of a good number of instances where there have been issues with FM turbo setups. Probably not as many as Begi, and not as bad, but still issues. They just are not posted about on here. At the end of the day Begi has issues, and I have a good idea why it happens and seems to happen a lot. It is not going to change. So yes you can read up and avoid them, or you can give them a chance and possibly have things be ok. Corky is getting old now, im pretty sure he keeps Begi open just so he has a shop to fartz around in. His money has been made, and he keeps making money with Begi Intercoolers. I wish they would do better, but it is doubtful it changes now.

One other thing, look between the 2 companies and see which one helps keep this site on.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
I'd love to hear from those people, because I wonder how many of those just deal with it and not even mention. There was that one guy with he AO that joined a week or two ago that said despite the 4 month wait, most the stuff ended up working and fitting right. I wish more would chime in that had a perfect experience from start to finish.
I had a 100% perfect experience with Begi when I bought my first S1 setup from them. The only issue was them being a few weeks slow, which honestly I can completely understand, especially now that I am in a similar business as them. I have several friends who are not active on any forums that have also had great experiences with Begi, besides being slow.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #75
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 35,756
Total Cats: 2,492
Default

What year was this?
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:28 PM   #76
Elite Member
 
codrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 3,796
Total Cats: 337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
FM and Begi while selling competing products, serve slightly different market segments. FM caters to a higher end market then Begi does. FM's bread and butter for turbo setups are older males who buy FM2 setups and never touch the hydra. Begi caters much more towards the DIY segment of things. So it would make sense that more of the people buying Begi products and have issues end up on forums talking about it, while people who buy FM and have issues generally are not active on forums and just go to FM for support. The sizes of the companies are vastly different and that changes the level of support that can be offered. I am willing to bet that FM has 4 times the amount of staff that Begi has. In general when there are issues with Begi and they are brought up on here the same groups of people all jump in the threads repeating the same things. So it looks far worse then it probably is. I personally know of a good number of instances where there have been issues with FM turbo setups. Probably not as many as Begi, and not as bad, but still issues. They just are not posted about on here. At the end of the day Begi has issues, and I have a good idea why it happens and seems to happen a lot. It is not going to change. So yes you can read up and avoid them, or you can give them a chance and possibly have things be ok. Corky is getting old now, im pretty sure he keeps Begi open just so he has a shop to fartz around in. His money has been made, and he keeps making money with Begi Intercoolers. I wish they would do better, but it is doubtful it changes now.
I suspect FM sells more kits to DIY people than BEGI sells total. FM *also* sells to people who want to bolt it on and never touch it because that's impossible with BEGI kits.

Yes, FM has a lot more support people, now. That's because they're a much more successful business, in no small part because they actually care about their customers and deliver a product that works the vast majority of the time, and stand behind it properly when it doesn't.

FM and BEGI used to be partners, BEGI handled the R&D, engineering, and manufacturing, FM handled the installation, sales, and support. Back in (late 90s, early 2000s) the FM kits were known to have all of the same delivery time and fit problems that the BEGI kits have now. It took 3 months to get my FM2 kit in 2002, I wound up exchanging my manifold twice, downpipe three times, and had to have a couple of the intercooler pipes modified locally in order to get it to fit -- sound familiar? Over a decade ago they split, FM started doing the entire kit end-to-end and those issues basically vanished. The difference between the quality of the BEGI-sourced 2002 FM2 kit that I owned and the ~ 2010 hardware that I have right now is night and day.

--Ian
codrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:31 PM   #77
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 35,756
Total Cats: 2,492
Default

Ian with the truth for the win
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:46 AM   #78
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1
Total Cats: 0
Default

I just completed an installation of the BEGI Alpha Omega kit. Yes, it took a while to get the parts delivered and fabrication errors slowed progress. I have also been reading the forums for years and knew what to expect from BEGI since they are a smaller outfit than FM. I also knew I could depend on the staff to make things right. So I went into this project knowing planning, persistence and patience were required. I never had an issue getting an item corrected. BEGI also had the kit I wanted with the HP that included the ECU reflash. I really enjoyed the installation and working with Stephanie and Joey I learned a lot during the turbo installation. I live in Texas which is close to their shop which is also a plus.
dbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:11 AM   #79
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,817
Total Cats: 269
Default

Joey is a good dude and a diligent worker.
Girz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:16 AM   #80
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,647
Total Cats: 444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
Begi caters much more towards the DIY segment of things.
Is it that BEGi caters to the DIY kind of people, or is it that being a BEGi customer means you're going to be a DIY person whether you like it or not?
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MKTurbo Oil Line Kit njn63 Miata parts for sale/trade 8 07-31-2016 12:12 AM
NB2 01 Header Exhaust Manifold w/ EGR Tube customfab87 Miata parts for sale/trade 1 07-15-2016 02:55 PM
WTB M45 Crossover tube for 1.6 JRSC sjohnson WTB 0 07-13-2016 10:56 AM
Vacuum line routing, stoopid question Frenchmanremy DIY Turbo Discussion 9 06-18-2016 01:20 PM
Misc. Parts-Brake lines, Butterfly Brace,Throttle body, Shift knob, CD player, rotors Pist0n Miata parts for sale/trade 3 06-18-2016 12:58 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:18 AM.