gauges in the eyeball vents - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Prefabbed Turbo Kits A place to discuss prefabricated turbo kits on the market
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 457
Total Cats: 0
Default gauges in the eyeball vents

for people who do this how to you make the gauge not slide to the back of the vent and how do you get the wiring to the bay? Do you take off the dash or just drill a hole?
LunaticDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:23 PM   #2
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,847
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

pop out the vent. It has a retaining ring around it that pops out, that holds the gauge in place and snaps back in. No mounting hardward needed, use a 52mm gauge. Takes about 3-5mins to do it.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:34 PM   #3
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 457
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by braineack View Post
pop out the vent. It has a retaining ring around it that pops out, that holds the gauge in place and snaps back in. No mounting hardward needed, use a 52mm gauge. Takes about 3-5mins to do it.


heh used a 2 1/16th (dunno if that is 52mm or not) and i got the gauges mounted but how did yall wire them to the well lights and for my other gauge (oil temp) to the starter? Do i need to take off the entire dash or just drill holes or wha?
LunaticDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:41 PM   #4
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,847
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

There was enough of a gap between the dash and the existing vent that I didn't need to drill to runt he wires. I vampire clipped my boost gauge light off the dimmer switch. My AF gauge is wired off the power and ground of the ecu.


2 1/6" is the same thing.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:24 PM   #5
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 457
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by braineack View Post
There was enough of a gap between the dash and the existing vent that I didn't need to drill to runt he wires. I vampire clipped my boost gauge light off the dimmer switch. My AF gauge is wired off the power and ground of the ecu.


2 1/6" is the same thing.


oh good idea on the lights and good idea for the power on the ecu... is there a hole in the firewall already near the ECU so I can pull the sender line from the oil pan to the gauge? BTW both my gauges are in the middle dash eye ball vents.
LunaticDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:35 PM   #6
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,847
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticDriver View Post
oh good idea on the lights and good idea for the power on the ecu... is there a hole in the firewall already near the ECU so I can pull the sender line from the oil pan to the gauge? BTW both my gauges are in the middle dash eye ball vents.
Yes, just above the ECU through the firewall.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:29 PM   #7
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 457
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by braineack View Post
Yes, just above the ECU through the firewall.


Thanks!
LunaticDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:45 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
steelrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 514
Total Cats: 0
Default

I have both the AF and the boost gauge in the eye-*****.

Just a few tips though, if you are running the small plastic boost hose to the gauge, get some more of the "crush-washers". I've found every time the radio surround comes off I have to cut the vac hose, and replace the crush washer.

Also I ran the wires for the AFR from the ECU, but tapped into the parking lights for the "light" on the boost gauge too.

Oh yeah, the vent rings + autometer sport comps match up really nicely. <G>

Dave,
steelrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:01 PM   #9
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 457
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrat View Post
I have both the AF and the boost gauge in the eye-*****.

Just a few tips though, if you are running the small plastic boost hose to the gauge, get some more of the "crush-washers". I've found every time the radio surround comes off I have to cut the vac hose, and replace the crush washer.

Also I ran the wires for the AFR from the ECU, but tapped into the parking lights for the "light" on the boost gauge too.

Oh yeah, the vent rings + autometer sport comps match up really nicely. <G>

Dave,
Rocking the Cobalt autometer ones... Crush washer on the boost gauge? Mine is like some crazy back attachment that locks the hose in place no washers to my knowing.
LunaticDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:49 PM   #10
Junior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lansdale, PA
Posts: 426
Total Cats: 0
Default

The Fyin miata boost guage fits perfectly in the eyeball vent. I have no idea what size it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gauges-DSC00849.jpg (122.5 KB, 131 views)
Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:23 AM   #11
Mex
!!! NOT CONFIRMED !!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Posts: 43
Total Cats: 1
Default


It fits perfectly
Mex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:01 PM   #12
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago (Over two miles from Wrigley Field. Fuck the Cubs. Fuck them in their smarmy goat-hole.)
Posts: 26,317
Total Cats: 1,914
Default

Mex- that's really slick. I have the same AEM gauge in the same eyeball vent, but mine sticks out a bit. I've gotta try to recess mine like you did!
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My solution for Oiltemp and Oilpressure input into Megasuirt (MS3) Zaphod MEGAsquirt 41 01-24-2016 01:25 PM
MSPNPPro-MM0105: Coolant Temperature Output slomiata MEGAsquirt 5 10-07-2015 02:11 PM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:40 AM.