Greddy Bolt-on Kit (#11540001) - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Prefabbed Turbo Kits A place to discuss prefabricated turbo kits on the market
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2007, 10:09 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
Posts: 97
Total Cats: 0
Default Greddy Bolt-on Kit (#11540001)

Is this the only kit greddy makes? It's the only one i see on their website right now. It says something about a 30hp gain.

What're some of the best/cheapest ways to get more power out of this kit? which components are the first you'd upgrade, why, and how much more power would/did you recieve?
ckandes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:22 PM   #2
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,845
Total Cats: 1,787
Default

yes.

for the rest of the questions....best place to start is by simply reading through the GReddy Chat.
Braineack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:30 PM   #3
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
Posts: 97
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
yes.

for the rest of the questions....best place to start is by simply reading through the GReddy Chat.
yeah i should've. I'll try and do that sometime during the week
ckandes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:37 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
boostinsteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 563
Total Cats: 0
Default

There are a whole lot of people that are running this basic kit on here. The problem with the kit, is that once you understand the simplicity of the kit, you start to change out a lot of the stuff that came with the kit originally (dp, intake plumbing, a lot of people get rid of the fpr, and these are just a few off the top of my head). Now that I have the kit on, I am happy, but I think that I could have made something that would have given me a lot bigger grin on my face for less money than what I have now. I am only at 8psi on stock injectors for now, I add methanol in the WI which allows me to keep right at the 12.5 afr region. The kit is nice, but once you have one, you start to crave more power which leads to more boost, which leads you to start improving on the shortcomings of the kit. Straight out of the box though, adds a nice kick to the miata that it should have had from the factory. Enjoy.
boostinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:43 PM   #5
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
Posts: 97
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostinsteve View Post
There are a whole lot of people that are running this basic kit on here. The problem with the kit, is that once you understand the simplicity of the kit, you start to change out a lot of the stuff that came with the kit originally (dp, intake plumbing, a lot of people get rid of the fpr, and these are just a few off the top of my head). Now that I have the kit on, I am happy, but I think that I could have made something that would have given me a lot bigger grin on my face for less money than what I have now. I am only at 8psi on stock injectors for now, I add methanol in the WI which allows me to keep right at the 12.5 afr region. The kit is nice, but once you have one, you start to crave more power which leads to more boost, which leads you to start improving on the shortcomings of the kit. Straight out of the box though, adds a nice kick to the miata that it should have had from the factory. Enjoy.
I see what you mean, and it makes alot of sense. What if, hypothetically speaking , i were looking to buy a 1.6 that already has the greddy kit on it. How hard would it be to get around 200whp out of it realistically and without ghetto-rigging anything (i want it to be pretty sturdy)? Is that an inefficient way to go about getting 200whp out of a miata?
ckandes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:00 PM   #6
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,863
Total Cats: 485
Default

Its certaintly not impossible to get 200 whpout of a 1.6 with the Greddy, but it does require a solid amount of alterations and the truth is, by the time you are making 200 whp, the only parts of the original greddy kit you are still using is the turbo and the exhaust manifold... the rest of the piping gets tossed when you do an intercooler, you need a better downpipe, you COULD keep the Greddy FPR but you ought to probably atleast upgrade to an adjustable FPR or better yet a piggyback EMS. If you don't get an EMS you will need timing control like a Bipes. And don't forget the little stuff like a manual boost controller for the wastegate to run higher PSI, a blowoff valve in the intercooler piping, oh you will need bigger injectors - 1.8 units at the least but I think you really need bigger than the 1.8's for 200 whp... oh and then a larger fuel pump... and last, you need gauges and such for tuning and monitoring the engine.
Yea all that should get you to 200 whp. You need roughly 10 psi for that with the 15G.
-Ryan
ThePass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:17 PM   #7
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
Posts: 97
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePass View Post
Its certaintly not impossible to get 200 whpout of a 1.6 with the Greddy, but it does require a solid amount of alterations and the truth is, by the time you are making 200 whp, the only parts of the original greddy kit you are still using is the turbo and the exhaust manifold... the rest of the piping gets tossed when you do an intercooler, you need a better downpipe, you COULD keep the Greddy FPR but you ought to probably atleast upgrade to an adjustable FPR or better yet a piggyback EMS. If you don't get an EMS you will need timing control like a Bipes. And don't forget the little stuff like a manual boost controller for the wastegate to run higher PSI, a blowoff valve in the intercooler piping, oh you will need bigger injectors - 1.8 units at the least but I think you really need bigger than the 1.8's for 200 whp... oh and then a larger fuel pump... and last, you need gauges and such for tuning and monitoring the engine.
Yea all that should get you to 200 whp. You need roughly 10 psi for that with the 15G.
-Ryan
yeah i see what you guys mean now haha. what kind of price window would that be in? Is it easier to exchange parts than it is to install an entirely new kit?
ckandes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:07 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
boostinsteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 563
Total Cats: 0
Default

You can easily build your own kit. T3's go for pretty cheap sometimes, and you can get a good mani from begi, and they have the dp for it also. Get an intercooler off of ebay and the piping, or use WI and get a piping kit from ebay and make your own piping. Get a used FPR, or get a piggyback and a bigger set of injectors. These cars seem to be pretty easy to get to 200 rwhp from. Make sure to budget all the other small stuff in there to get to 200 whp, clutch, possibly rear end if you drive really hard, wideband O2 sensor, and so on. I personally think that a better kit can be engineered by me and get it running a lot better. The greddy kit has been a great stepping stone into my knowledge of FI, and if I could do it again, I would get a 16g or 18g turbo and set it to Corky to get a mani and dp made for it. Just me now though. 200 whp was made on the 1.8's, but you use a lot of fuel pressure.
boostinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:41 AM   #9
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
Posts: 97
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostinsteve View Post
The greddy kit has been a great stepping stone into my knowledge of FI, and if I could do it again, I would get a 16g or 18g turbo and set it to Corky to get a mani and dp made for it.
hmm. so for a clueless idiot (like for instance... me), maybe it'd be better to start off with a greddy kit on my first project, play with that, and maybe next time make my own from scratch.

the only mechanical work i've done is install front axles an engine mount and an O2 sensor on an Audi and do a few oil changes.


btw i picked up Maximum Boost by Corky Bell a while ago. I've tried a couple of times, but i dont have the attention span to sit down and read it. I blame school.
ckandes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:18 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
boostinsteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 563
Total Cats: 0
Default

Sure, it will make a stepping stone in your knowledge, and this site also makes for a great hub of knowledge. Sometimes people like to sell their complete kits that they have put together and you could pick one of those up, but the greddy is cheap, and can provide a lot of power. It is the "little turbo that could". Sit down and read max boost, this will give you a good idea of what the turbo system is doing and supposed to be doing at certain times.
Also, the greddy kit needs some things done to it before it can even be put on the car, such as the manifold cuts. Look in the greddy archives for the exact spots where you are supposed to make the cuts. I bought mine from prostreet online, and they were very helpful, but you need to keep on them to make sure that they get it out in a timely manner. You can probably find a better deal around though. When I first bought my miata, I did the timing belt and the water pump to make sure that it was in good condition, and all the seals in that area. I would do all of that before putting the turbo on and perform a compression test before even buying the miata, to ensure that the engine is in good condition. Also on a car with a lot of miles, plan on rebuilding the head in the future just due to the valve seals wearing out and the carbon buildup on the valves. Good luck man, and keep the questions coming to us, it gives the people that always check for new posts to reply.
boostinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:38 AM   #11
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chico, CA
Posts: 103
Total Cats: 0
Default

I think the kit for the price was great. the car is fast! (well for a miata) Sure if all you want is HP than the greddy may not be the ticket, But if a miata is what you have you already said you dont care abot huge HP. I have had my turbo for a few years and all I have is an intercooler.
I am used to the power, but if I get it right it still scares me from time to time.
92yella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:23 PM   #12
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Taos, New mexico
Posts: 5,702
Total Cats: 237
Default

Now that i have my greddy kit on, i know for sure i could have came up with alot better of a kit DIY. But, i learned so much from the greddy install/troubleshoot that i am alot more confident in my car.

That said, i dont regret buying the greddy kit, as it is always upgradeable.

Plus i really like the size of the small greddy turbo, and dont wish to upgrade it anytime soon.
Fireindc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:42 PM   #13
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
Posts: 97
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostinsteve View Post
Sure, it will make a stepping stone in your knowledge, and this site also makes for a great hub of knowledge. Sometimes people like to sell their complete kits that they have put together and you could pick one of those up, but the greddy is cheap, and can provide a lot of power. It is the "little turbo that could". Sit down and read max boost, this will give you a good idea of what the turbo system is doing and supposed to be doing at certain times.
Also, the greddy kit needs some things done to it before it can even be put on the car, such as the manifold cuts. Look in the greddy archives for the exact spots where you are supposed to make the cuts. I bought mine from prostreet online, and they were very helpful, but you need to keep on them to make sure that they get it out in a timely manner. You can probably find a better deal around though. When I first bought my miata, I did the timing belt and the water pump to make sure that it was in good condition, and all the seals in that area. I would do all of that before putting the turbo on and perform a compression test before even buying the miata, to ensure that the engine is in good condition. Also on a car with a lot of miles, plan on rebuilding the head in the future just due to the valve seals wearing out and the carbon buildup on the valves. Good luck man, and keep the questions coming to us, it gives the people that always check for new posts to reply.
I posted this in another thread, but one of the miatas I'm looking at is a '90 with 67k miles. It has a greddy kit. But the great thing is the guy that had the kit installed did these things you suggest, plus a ton more. Water pump, timing belt, All valves and gaskets and things like that were reaplaced, along with adding some performance parts, and doing some resurfacing jobs, etc etc. All said and done, the reciept runs a $3900 total (he emailed it to me). It looks like a very solid job. It also has some kind of software and a WI, but no intercooler. Everything else is stock except a roll bar and momo steering wheel. He's asking $6500
ckandes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:26 PM   #14
AFM Crusader
iTrader: (18)
 
olderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wayne, NJ
Posts: 4,438
Total Cats: 84
Default

If you get it, pull the front of the crank apart right away to make sure that the re-install was correct on the short nose. Replace the bolt with lock-tight and re-torque it correctly.
olderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:55 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
boostinsteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 563
Total Cats: 0
Default

Does he have the info from doing all of this? Even if so, I would still perform a compression test to ensure that you are getting a motor that is in a healthy condition. Also, if he already did a head rebuild on a car with that many miles, take extra caution into what you are buying. I always approach a situation with the attitude of how can I get fucked on this. You should approach this with the same attitude. Compression test, and also read the codes from the ecu just to ensure that you have no bad components that it can detect, and take the car for a ride and ensure that it feels right. I personally would not buy a miata with the system already installed. I like to learn and there is no real better way than to install and tune it yourself. I am also a very curious person and constantly need new information to remain happy. Also, just like what Bruce said, interrogate him about the crank bolt. That could mean disaster down the road.
boostinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help - Stock Balancer and Fastforward overlay pulleys Frank_and_Beans Supercharger Discussion 13 09-12-2016 09:17 PM
Noob to Miataturbo from MA JxPhan Meet and Greet 3 10-02-2015 03:17 AM
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump $50 lsc224 Miata parts for sale/trade 2 10-01-2015 10:17 AM
Koni 1150 Coilover Kit drumman83 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 2 09-25-2015 08:03 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:59 PM.