Looking for a complete kit for 1.8 NB - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Prefabbed Turbo Kits A place to discuss prefabricated turbo kits on the market
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Finland
Posts: 23
Total Cats: 0
Default Looking for a complete kit for 1.8 NB

Hello

I will be picking up a "10th anniversary" edition NB mx5 in couple weeks from Germany, and of course planning on turboing before summer.

I need a complete good quality kit, budged ~3kUSD. Been looking at begi and FM, but they seem to be offering only 1.6 complete kits.
So what are my options?


Thanks for all feedback.
Muksimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Delicious and Moist.
Posts: 26,327
Total Cats: 1,926
Default

Both Bell and FM offer complete systems for both 1.6 and 1.8 cars. In fact, the 1.6 was discontinued from the Canada / US market after 1993, so the vast majority of the cars which Bell and FM equip are 1.8s.

I'm not entirely certain what differences will exist between a German-spec NB and a US-spec NB, but I'm sure that either company can supply your needs. At your price range, FM's "Voodoo" turbo system will probably be the simplest to install and configure.
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
Junior Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 128
Total Cats: -1
Default

If you're looking for used I have a almost complete BEGI S6 setup up for grabs.
hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Erat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,199
Total Cats: 260
Default

FM or bell no electronics kit, add injectors, megasquirt, exhaust and clutch. Probably the easiest, and hassle free way to go. And by hassle free, meaning you won't get **** from anyone on here for not using a megasquirt.
Erat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:32 AM   #5
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Finland
Posts: 23
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Both Bell and FM offer complete systems for both 1.6 and 1.8 cars. In fact, the 1.6 was discontinued from the Canada / US market after 1993, so the vast majority of the cars which Bell and FM equip are 1.8s.

I'm not entirely certain what differences will exist between a German-spec NB and a US-spec NB, but I'm sure that either company can supply your needs. At your price range, FM's "Voodoo" turbo system will probably be the simplest to install and configure.
I can't seem to find any complete sets for 1.8, cant actually find any on FM. They all say "compared to stock 110hp" in the description, meaning they are for 1.6l..?
Begi has some, but all the 1.8 kits seem to be DIY. And i would really need a complete kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
If you're looking for used I have a almost complete BEGI S6 setup up for grabs.
Thanks for the offer, but i fancy a brand new kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erat View Post
FM or bell no electronics kit, add injectors, megasquirt, exhaust and clutch. Probably the easiest, and hassle free way to go. And by hassle free, meaning you won't get **** from anyone on here for not using a megasquirt.
My mechanical skills are not up to that task, and cant be bothered to put in the time. Really only looking for complete kits for total newbies :P.
Muksimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,523
Total Cats: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muksimp View Post
I can't seem to find any complete sets for 1.8, cant actually find any on FM. They all say "compared to stock 110hp" in the description, meaning they are for 1.6l..?
Begi has some, but all the 1.8 kits seem to be DIY. And i would really need a complete kit.
Don't see anything about "Compared to 110hp" anywhere in here --->

https://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php...%20BLK%20GAUGE


Quote:
My mechanical skills are not up to that task, and cant be bothered to put in the time. Really only looking for complete kits for total newbies :P.
No matter what kit you decide on, it's going to take a lot of time and reading. There is going to be a pretty large learning curve if you do it the "right" way, especially if you go with Megasquirt. Everyone is a newbie at one time or another.. It's up to you to do the research and learn about every little aspect of installing a kit.
BTMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
Senior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
RedCarmel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Horse and Buggy, PA
Posts: 689
Total Cats: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muksimp View Post
My mechanical skills are not up to that task, and cant be bothered to put in the time..
When I read this, I agreed with Joe's suggestion of a FM Voodoo kit.
RedCarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Delicious and Moist.
Posts: 26,327
Total Cats: 1,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muksimp View Post
I can't seem to find any complete sets for 1.8, cant actually find any on FM. They all say "compared to stock 110hp" in the description, meaning they are for 1.6l..?
When dealing with a company based in the US, if they say '90-'93, they mean 1.6 liter. If they say '94-'05, they mean 1.8 liter. Those were the only engine choices available here.

So, looking at this page: https://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php...%20BLK%20GAUGE

That system is designed for a 1.8 NB from '99-'00.

You also have to bear in mind that everyone measures horsepower a bit differently. For starters, these companies are all quoting HP as measured at the wheels, rather than brake HP. Additionally, every company uses different correction factors for drivetrain loss, altitude, etc.
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Erat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,199
Total Cats: 260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muksimp View Post
My mechanical skills are not up to that task, and cant be bothered to put in the time. Really only looking for complete kits for total newbies :P.
Wait a minute. You plan on installing the kit yourself, or sending your car to Colorado to have FM install it?

I don't suggest doing this work yourself if your mechanical skills are not up to the task of installing injectors, megasquirt, and exhaust. Hell, even i fucked up installing the injectors. Pissed fuel all over the place. I learn from my mistakes.

Even if you do run low boost your stock clutch won't last. You are capable of installing a clutch, but not injectors or megasquirt?

Perhaps putting a turbo on your car isn't really a good idea. Quit saying you're a total noob, it's very cliche. Having never modified my own car before i did all of the above myself over the course of a winter. It's not difficult.
Erat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #10
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Delicious and Moist.
Posts: 26,327
Total Cats: 1,926
Default

I got the impression that he was looking for a "simple" kit, hence the pointer towards FM's Voodoo.

Good point on the clutch. At lower boost levels, a stock NB clutch might actually have a fighting chance, though I must admit I've never used one, so I can't really speak to the power level at which it's likely to let go.

On the plus side, I hear that they have mechanics in northern Europe who are capable of installing a new clutch.
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #11
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Erat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,199
Total Cats: 260
Default

Yup, and an exhaust will need to be sourced & installed

FWIW there is less wiring involved, and less work involved by not using the voodoo box and just plugging a megasquirt in. Though you have to spend time to tune it, or get a map from someone. But when it comes down to it, installing a "simple kit" is no more difficult than adding a few more things.
Erat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #12
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Delicious and Moist.
Posts: 26,327
Total Cats: 1,926
Default

He can run the stock exhaust system- lots of folks have. It's not optimal, but it works.

I'm always torn on the subject of engine management. Even I find it occasionally frustrating to deal with certain aspects of aftermarket ECU tuning. And while I certainly wouldn't use anything else on my own cars, I have seen enough people struggle and flounder with them that I can appreciate the simplicity of devices like the Voodoo box, the Powercard, etc. Not my cup of tea, but appropriate for the inexperienced who are willing to pay a bit more and get a bit less in exchange for not having to learn something new.
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #13
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,322
Total Cats: 12
Default

I'm just going to say that after reading the OP's responses, for ease of install I'd go with the Kraftwerks Rotrex:
http://www.shop.kraftwerksusa.com/98...0-10-9805B.htm

It's a bit over budget though.
dustinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #14
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 75
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
He can run the stock exhaust system- lots of folks have. It's not optimal, but it works.

I'm always torn on the subject of engine management. Even I find it occasionally frustrating to deal with certain aspects of aftermarket ECU tuning. And while I certainly wouldn't use anything else on my own cars, I have seen enough people struggle and flounder with them that I can appreciate the simplicity of devices like the Voodoo box, the Powercard, etc. Not my cup of tea, but appropriate for the inexperienced who are willing to pay a bit more and get a bit less in exchange for not having to learn something new.
This describes me to a tee. I'm totally nervous about installing a stand alone. i have a brand new, in the box spectre 7100. just spooked to take that plunge.
BoostCreep is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 12-15-2017 09:00 PM
Noob to Miataturbo from MA JxPhan Meet and Greet 3 10-02-2015 03:17 AM
Moroso Air Oil Separator Catch Can Aroundcorner Miata parts for sale/trade 2 10-01-2015 04:20 PM
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump $50 lsc224 Miata parts for sale/trade 2 10-01-2015 10:17 AM
WTB 90-97 miata low profile headlight kit DonPlatt WTB 0 09-25-2015 03:57 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:38 AM.