Need some advice on purchasing Mazdaspeed Turbo Kit. - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Prefabbed Turbo Kits A place to discuss prefabricated turbo kits on the market
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2009, 02:13 PM   #21
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Richmond
Posts: 117
Total Cats: 0
Default

I think that 900 is a great price for an entry level kit. We have a member in the club running the kit on a stock 99 with the Voodoo box. Not the best setup in the world but the car is pretty peppy.

The kit should work on a 99 fine but stick with the stock ecu and run a piggy back.

However i do agree that once you get into the 1500 dollar range you should start to look at what else is out there.

I am pretty sure the cheapest BEGI kit will run you over 1500, and do a alot of research before you let someone talk you into a DIY kit. Even a prefabbed kit can be difficult to figure out.

Many people are delusional about what is involved in turbos it not there car it yours.

Also Keep in mind that turbos can easily cost you an extra grand just trying to get everything working together, even on some prefabbed kits.
Mikeymx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #22
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fayetteville NC
Posts: 828
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeymx5 View Post
I think that 900 is a great price for an entry level kit. We have a member in the club running the kit on a stock 99 with the Voodoo box. Not the best setup in the world but the car is pretty peppy.

The kit should work on a 99 fine but stick with the stock ecu and run a piggy back.

However i do agree that once you get into the 1500 dollar range you should start to look at what else is out there.

I am pretty sure the cheapest BEGI kit will run you over 1500, and do a alot of research before you let someone talk you into a DIY kit. Even a prefabbed kit can be difficult to figure out.

Many people are delusional about what is involved in turbos it not there car it yours.

Also Keep in mind that turbos can easily cost you an extra grand just trying to get everything working together, even on some prefabbed kits.
For some reason, any time I have tried to fab my own stuff, It ends up costing a lot more than I initially planned.
msydnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #23
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Killen, AL, 35645
Posts: 733
Total Cats: 2
Default

Well i've had people email me asking 300 dollars for their Mazdaspeed Manifold, so I called Corky Bell from Bell Engineering and he laughed at it!

First he said the casting is an abomination, then he said he would talk to Stephanie to see if he could source me one...for around 75-100.

Come on, I mean you can get an HKS T25 manifold for that much or one of Bell Engineerings kick *** t25 manifolds
Cody Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #24
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Killen, AL, 35645
Posts: 733
Total Cats: 2
Default

Really... I guess you can say 1000 dollars is reasonable for the entire Mazdaspeed Turbo kit, but that would definitely include the steel downpipe and midpipe pieces as well... And also if you are going to be happy with the stock 140-150 rwhp...

The prob comes in right here... Mazdaspeed Miata turbo kits are notoriously known to be very restrictive from the factory. How many people out their have ditch their entire intake, intercooler assembly, downpipe, and midpipe, stock recirculation valve assembly, and boost control, in order to get that 210 RWHP that the car should have had from the factory.

I've drove a 2005 MSM Miata... and for any noticable increase in power it has to be over 4000 rpms and in open loop...
Cody Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #25
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Killen, AL, 35645
Posts: 733
Total Cats: 2
Default

In my past, I have built three supercharged Miata's (JRSC m45, 2 powercarded, one voodoo boxed) and one Bell Series 3 GT2860RS Kit with 460RX-7 injectors and Megasquirt PNP.

The reason why I am going with the Mazdaspeed Miata setup is because I can have a reasonably powerful car with an easy to rebuild or cheap to replace turbocharger...

For 2,200 dollars. I can have this...

Mazdaspeed IHI turbo.
Mazdaspeed Manifold and Cast Downpipe.
Enthuza midpipe and possibly downpipe if Jason can build the downpipe.
Corksport Intercooler system.
Recirculating blowoff valve.

PC-Pro engine management or Zoom 3 for a little more.

Decent and reliable 190-200 rwhp...
Cody Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:34 PM   #26
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fayetteville NC
Posts: 828
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Strife View Post
Well i've had people email me asking 300 dollars for their Mazdaspeed Manifold, so I called Corky Bell from Bell Engineering and he laughed at it!

First he said the casting is an abomination, then he said he would talk to Stephanie to see if he could source me one...for around 75-100.

Come on, I mean you can get an HKS T25 manifold for that much or one of Bell Engineerings kick *** t25 manifolds
I sold mine for $50
msydnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:43 PM   #27
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fayetteville NC
Posts: 828
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Strife View Post
Really... I guess you can say 1000 dollars is reasonable for the entire Mazdaspeed Turbo kit, but that would definitely include the steel downpipe and midpipe pieces as well... And also if you are going to be happy with the stock 140-150 rwhp...

The prob comes in right here... Mazdaspeed Miata turbo kits are notoriously known to be very restrictive from the factory. How many people out their have ditch their entire intake, intercooler assembly, downpipe, and midpipe, stock recirculation valve assembly, and boost control, in order to get that 210 RWHP that the car should have had from the factory.

I've drove a 2005 MSM Miata... and for any noticable increase in power it has to be over 4000 rpms and in open loop...

You are partially correct. With only an AEM intake and a 3 psi boost increase I was able to put down 184 rwhp. But yeah, after that you'll need more parts. I told you a lot of guys ask too much for their old parts.
msydnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:29 AM   #28
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Killen, AL, 35645
Posts: 733
Total Cats: 2
Default

Damn sounds pretty good there. I got a guy selling me his manifold, downpipe, intercooler, charge pipes, recirculating unit, all but the turbo for 200 dollars.

I've driven a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata and to what I recall, it has no pull until after 4000 rpms or when the engine goes open loop... then its a good tug then BAM rev limited, at somehere around 6500... Stephanie seemed to agree that given my car is a 99 10th anniversary, that the piggyback Zoom3 or PC Pro would be fantastic as the 99-2000 ECU are much much easier to work around as the 2001-2005 ECUs... To what I hear, one of the weakest links, other than restrictive intakes and exhaust (Guess it has to be that way to reduce NHV and make the car quiet, which it definitely was) and a bad batch of turbos, is unfortunately the ECU itself. That 99-2000 with Zoom3 may prove to have better drivability than even the original ECU!

You ever looked at Flyin Miata's Dyno after replacing the intake, exhaust, and adding a manual boost control, non leaky bypass valve and 02 signal modifier. Not only does peak power jump considerably, but the powerband which that torque is available comes in at a much lower RPM.
Cody Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:40 AM   #29
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Killen, AL, 35645
Posts: 733
Total Cats: 2
Default

http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/dyno_...ke_2_no_AF.pdf

Dude that is outstanding given the stock MSM only makes around 148 horsepower...


That sucker jumped all the way to 203. Now I wonder if my stock 99' injectors will flow enough to give me a solid 12.5:1-12:1 air/fuel ratio.
Cody Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:02 AM   #30
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 244
Total Cats: 3
Default

just grab some supra/RX7/RX8 injectors, they are all plug-and-play! (and flow much better as well)
DontPassTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:17 AM   #31
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Killen, AL, 35645
Posts: 733
Total Cats: 2
Default

will they not cause a considerable decline in fuel economy?
Cody Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:01 AM   #32
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 82
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Turner View Post
+1
$900 is too pricey. Turbo can be had for $200 on eBay, manifold for $50-75, stock downpipe $75.00, and the oil lines will not work anyway.....
Stephanie
wow i wish there was a carb approved version. not entirely too crazy about those chinese turboes tho
xero404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:11 AM   #33
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fayetteville NC
Posts: 828
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Strife View Post
Damn sounds pretty good there. I got a guy selling me his manifold, downpipe, intercooler, charge pipes, recirculating unit, all but the turbo for 200 dollars.

I've driven a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata and to what I recall, it has no pull until after 4000 rpms or when the engine goes open loop... then its a good tug then BAM rev limited, at somehere around 6500... Stephanie seemed to agree that given my car is a 99 10th anniversary, that the piggyback Zoom3 or PC Pro would be fantastic as the 99-2000 ECU are much much easier to work around as the 2001-2005 ECUs... To what I hear, one of the weakest links, other than restrictive intakes and exhaust (Guess it has to be that way to reduce NHV and make the car quiet, which it definitely was) and a bad batch of turbos, is unfortunately the ECU itself. That 99-2000 with Zoom3 may prove to have better drivability than even the original ECU!

You ever looked at Flyin Miata's Dyno after replacing the intake, exhaust, and adding a manual boost control, non leaky bypass valve and 02 signal modifier. Not only does peak power jump considerably, but the powerband which that torque is available comes in at a much lower RPM.
On the MSM a simple O2 modifier smooths out that surge at 4000 rpm. The stock exauhst isn't that noisy. louder than stick but not that bad. The ECU is the main problem that causes that. I baselined my MSM before I did any upgrades. It baselined at 154 rwhp on a dynoject. Which is pretty consistant with what I have seen from most. Seem to me the best ECU solution is what you already layed out, your stock on with a piggyback. You should feel that 4000 rpm surge with that. I believe your injectors are the same as the MSM, around 265 CC. I was pretty close to 200 rwhp on my stock injectors...don't know what the duty cycle looked like.
msydnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:13 AM   #34
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fayetteville NC
Posts: 828
Total Cats: 0
Default

I have a spare turbo, although I'm not looking to sell it for a while. I plan to use it for a compressor wheel upgrade in the spring. I don't know what kind of time line you are looking at, but once I get the upgrade done I'd be willing to sell it for a couple hundred bucks.
msydnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #35
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Killen, AL, 35645
Posts: 733
Total Cats: 2
Default

I think this is really going to go good with my 10th Anniversary. I closed the deal with Skip Cannon. For 200 dollars plus shipping, i'm getting the manifold, downpipe, all intercooler charge pipes, intercooler, recirculating unit, intake pieces. All I need now is a nice ebaycooler, a zoom 3/voodoo/pc pro, and i'll get with Jason to build a nice downpipe and midpipe section later on. And of course, a low mileage IHI turbo.
Cody Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:02 PM   #36
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fayetteville NC
Posts: 828
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Strife View Post
I think this is really going to go good with my 10th Anniversary. I closed the deal with Skip Cannon. For 200 dollars plus shipping, i'm getting the manifold, downpipe, all intercooler charge pipes, intercooler, recirculating unit, intake pieces. All I need now is a nice ebaycooler, a zoom 3/voodoo/pc pro, and i'll get with Jason to build a nice downpipe and midpipe section later on. And of course, a low mileage IHI turbo.
Begi can also make you a DP. I think the one that the sell for the MSM will work on it. But steph would be the better person to ask. The company I was planning to get my compressor upgrade from seems to be out of business. I only know of one other company doing this type of upgrade and I'm not to likely to go throught them. If this proves to be true, I'll sell you my spare turbo.
msydnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:28 PM   #37
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Springfield, NJ
Posts: 670
Total Cats: 0
Default

Wherever you buy the IHI / MSM turbo, send it to Begi for porting before you install it! Before porting my MSM often experienced boost creep. After porting, it can hold 10-11 all day long. I highly recommend their porting service.
evank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:02 AM   #38
Junior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Makakilo
Posts: 444
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Strife View Post
As far as I know, the Mazdaspeed Miatas have identical engines with the 99-2000 Miatas and 9.5:1 compression ratio; however, the 99-2000 Miatas have Mazda's Variable Intake Control System and the Mazdaspeed Miatas do not...
MSMs have COP ignition too. Anyone know if MSM engines have the bearing support plate and crank scraper like found on 01-05 blocks?
r808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #39
Former Vendor
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bell Tuning & Performance
Posts: 1,338
Total Cats: -78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evank View Post
Wherever you buy the IHI / MSM turbo, send it to Begi for porting before you install it! Before porting my MSM often experienced boost creep. After porting, it can hold 10-11 all day long. I highly recommend their porting service.
A VERY GOOD IDEA!!!! It is free too.

The MSM turbo is notorious for boost creep.
Stephanie
Stephanie Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 Yesterday 09:00 PM
WTB MP62 (Hotside) (NB2) Rick02R WTB 3 01-03-2016 08:18 PM
Noob to Miataturbo from MA JxPhan Meet and Greet 3 10-02-2015 03:17 AM
ISO 1.6 turbo cast iron manifold cale saurage DIY Turbo Discussion 16 10-01-2015 12:25 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:47 PM.