~400whp - Page 3 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Prefabbed Turbo Kits A place to discuss prefabricated turbo kits on the market
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 10:29 AM   #41
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 207
Total Cats: -14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerHunter View Post
Nothing on camera of me embarassing much more expensive cars - sorry.
This is what I was looking for....or tracking/drag racing/drifting/acting a fool/ect. Just something that shows the 400+ hp anyone car to post some more links? I remember I saw a video on youtube a while back of this miata chasing down porshes and ferrari's I believe on a track with a bumper mounted camera. Anyone know that one?
TheDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:47 AM   #42
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lakewood (Green Mountain) CO.
Posts: 167
Total Cats: -28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDriver View Post
This is what I was looking for....or tracking/drag racing/drifting/acting a fool/ect. Just something that shows the 400+ hp anyone car to post some more links? I remember I saw a video on youtube a while back of this miata chasing down porshes and ferrari's I believe on a track with a bumper mounted camera. Anyone know that one?
Hey, nice forum name...
The Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #43
Elite Member
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 2,791
Total Cats: 129
Default

I haven't seen many video's from the 400whp guys.

Here's a few examples of how a full weight 300whp NB does:

Stock 2011 LS3 C6:


Stock 2011 5.0 Mustang:


500whp Cobra:
pdexta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #44
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond View Post
400whp you need to completely replace drivetrain, build the motor, and run a lot of boost. I estimate 8k at least.

If I was you I'd get arttech or absurdflow hotside parts,BW EFR turbo, build a motor with VVT, get XIDA CS, FM clutch, Reroute, maybe WI, and a rollbar.

There is a reason no one here runs 400whp (see failflora build thread). These motors can't handle that much power for very long. You'd be surprised how fast a 250whp miata is...and you won't be breaking 6 speeds.
Hey now my car is not running because i have an undefeatable clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothawhat View Post
400 whp is slow.

Speed is relative, however, it's slow in my eyes.

preach it like it is sistah!


Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post

Ching chang chong!!!
sick CDM mustang!


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDriver View Post
How many people here actually have a 400+ whp miata? Anyone have any vids, I cant find any in the media section here or on youtube beside's dyno runs.
i have youtube vids. look at my build thread. see sig. I probably was putting down around 400ish depending on dyno before i took off my GT30. 26psi or so.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pdexta View Post
I haven't seen many video's from the 400whp guys.

Here's a few examples of how a full weight 300whp NB does:

Stock 2011 LS3 C6:
Stock 2011 5.0 Mustang:

500whp Cobra:
You need more power pdexta to stop the rape



This is just a circle jerk thread but here's the build list for 400hp.

1.8 longblock $400
pistons $500
rods $400
gaskets n bearings n **** $700
machining/assembly for motor $100
6 pseed tranny $600
some posi diff $300
sickass artech hotside $800
sickass downpipe and sexhaust $1500
wastegate $400
turbo $600-$2000 (go borg! don't support the garret chra rebuild syndicate!)
intercooler $500
pipez and fab $300
EMS - $500-$2000
injectors - $500 (1000cc or bigger)
fuel pump - $200
COPS/LS coils and wires- $300
sickass gauges and sensors - $400
tires - $600
Water injection **** (only if your gas is ****) - $400

Damn that is $10100 so far. I am forgetting lotsa stuff probably. Note that if you go this far you may as well go for 500. or 600...
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:08 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 510
Total Cats: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Deerhunter, have you ever had that car on a sea level uncorrected dyno?
Unfortunately, no. Dyno work at FM was done at just under 5,000 feet (uncorrected numbers were 355 rwhp, but high-boost tuning was stymied due to ignition woes that had us chasing our tail) and since then I've done essentially no tuning. This fall I put it on a local dynojet (2,000 feet) and ran just over 300 rwhp uncorrected at about 18-19 psi with some pretty wonky A/F ratios. I plan to do some proper dyno tuning next year and see if I can smooth things out a bit. The car is still scary fast.

Last edited by DeerHunter; 12-11-2011 at 01:49 AM.
DeerHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:07 AM   #46
Senior Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 718
Total Cats: 5
Default

Hey,OP, I will sell you my 400hp set up right now. Just PM me.
Engine, turbo set up,engine management, transmission, and rear end. Get at me...
TURNS101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:09 AM   #47
Senior Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 718
Total Cats: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerHunter View Post
Unfortunately, no. Dyno work at FM was done at just under 5,000 feet (uncorrected numbers were 355 rwhp, but high-boost tuning was stymied due to ignition woes that had us chasing out tail) and since then I've done essentially no tuning. This fall I put it on a local dynojet (2,000 feet) and ran just over 300 rwhp at about 18-19 psi with some pretty wonky A/F ratios). I plan to do some proper dyno tuning next year and see if I can smooth things out a bit. The car is still scary fast.
Tell me about your queef gears. What power can they handle?
TURNS101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:45 AM   #48
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas, 'Murica
Posts: 2,505
Total Cats: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
Hey, nice forum name...
If anyone "happens" to show up with my name, you are either very clever, and atleast as cool as I am (not possible) or someone I will punch in the throat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdexta View Post
I haven't seen many video's from the 400whp guys.

Here's a few examples of how a full weight 300whp NB does:

Stock 2011 LS3 C6:


Stock 2011 5.0 Mustang:


500whp Cobra:

Shoulda gotta V8? I figured that out once I got past the point of no return. Hind sight is 20/V8. In short, after I built my car, and sav's post, I shoulda hada v8a.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeflora View Post
Hey now my car is not running because i have an undefeatable clutch




preach it like it is sistah!




sick CDM mustang!




i have youtube vids. look at my build thread. see sig. I probably was putting down around 400ish depending on dyno before i took off my GT30. 26psi or so.




You need more power pdexta to stop the rape



This is just a circle jerk thread but here's the build list for 400hp.

1.8 longblock $400
pistons $500
rods $400
gaskets n bearings n **** $700
machining/assembly for motor $100
6 pseed tranny $600
some posi diff $300
sickass artech hotside $800
sickass downpipe and sexhaust $1500
wastegate $400
turbo $600-$2000 (go borg! don't support the garret chra rebuild syndicate!)
intercooler $500
pipez and fab $300
EMS - $500-$2000
injectors - $500 (1000cc or bigger)
fuel pump - $200
COPS/LS coils and wires- $300
sickass gauges and sensors - $400
tires - $600
Water injection **** (only if your gas is ****) - $400

Damn that is $10100 so far. I am forgetting lotsa stuff probably. Note that if you go this far you may as well go for 500. or 600...
Hey fagwad, I still have that input shaft if you need it, for reeelzs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TURNS101 View Post
Tell me about your queef gears. What power can they handle?
LOL.
chicksdigmiatas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:48 AM   #49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 510
Total Cats: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURNS101 View Post
Tell me about your queef gears. What power can they handle?
All that I can make (and probably a lot more). It's a nice box - IMO it shifts even better than stock. The only drawback is that the semi-straight cut gears are noisier than OEM. Running through the gears, gear whine almost drowns out exhaust noise (although it does sound supercharger-like). Fourth is quiet, being 1:1, but cruising in fifth at highway speeds for any length of time calls for earplugs.
DeerHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #50
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 166
Total Cats: 11
Default

small inboard vid showing me and passenger(3-4gear pull from 70kph to 185kph)


testing and fooling around on a trackday, passing some cars, but shitty camera angle. car will easily pass a gt3rs on the straights, and for comparisons, only car that could keep up that day was a ESS supercharged M3


400ish whp na, is silly fast, like embarrasing pretty much anything on 4 wheels except supercars.
hf-mx5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:37 PM   #51
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,131
Total Cats: 598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hf-mx5t View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y42J7...&feature=g-upl

400ish whp na, is silly fast, like embarrasing pretty much anything on 4 wheels except supercars.
I....want....toooooo.....seeee...ooooovver the dash dammmmiit.

Looks like fun though.
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #52
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,175
Total Cats: 2,576
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hf-mx5t View Post
400ish whp na, is silly fast, like embarrasing pretty much anything on 4 wheels except supercars.
For the millionth time, I'm in love with your car
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #53
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Posts: 153
Total Cats: 9
Default

V8 route ain't available here, max 25% bigger engine so from 1.8 I can go to 2.2 and only V8 that is close is 2.0 and made by Ferrari and that has 185hp. Crate engine of 2.0 seems to go for 7k$ so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hf-mx5t View Post
400ish whp na, is silly fast, like embarrasing pretty much anything on 4 wheels except supercars.
Stupid question, have you ran against supercars on track? Not on highway pulls maybe, but I don't see why you wouldn't outrun those on track.
samulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #54
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11
Total Cats: 0
Default

I have had a 180 rwh NA and now have a 440rwh na. Same car but did a LSX conversion. For me finding a tuner that would allow me to go more on the supercharging was difficult to say the least. Bad tuning cost me the last 1.8 so I decided normally aspirated with a factory tune (ish) was the way to go. A motor that only put about 180 pounds on the car in total but has given me over 400ft of torque at 1700 rpm.

The funny thing is even though I can pass a viper ACR and GT2 , R8 and such the supercharger was equally fun to drive and on a track would suggest a turbo would be even more fun from a sensation sense. An LSX hits so hard with it power so low you get the intial hit then it just keeps pulling but your sense of speed is gone. My miata is fast based on the numbers and cars I can pass on the straights but it doesn't feel it.

Power is a funny thing....it is not just the power but how it comes on that makes the ride satisfying. If you just want to pass people as the motor stretches it legs that is one thing but if youlike to feel the surge and sense of speed I am not sure a big v8 does that. Mine is more like an electric motor.

The other interesting thing is the sound. Yes the V8 sounds amazing to those I pass but for the driver on the track I don't hear much. I do hear my friends ported and polished MP62 screaming behind me.

I looked at all ways of getting alot of power and agree with most that it doesn't matter what you build to do it right is 20K. Can be done cheap yes and be done well but if 20K scares you that should tell you something.

Lastly I would say 400 is simply a number...why not 500....bet it would feel about the same. Had my motor not quit I would have been happy at 250rwh but the car fully dialed in. If you start chasing power you will never be satified. You need to truely understand your goal.

I did not go out and search for 440. Instead I wanted durable engine that was overbuild for my application. Was designed to pull power all day long on a heavier car, had a computer that was open to play with if need be and simple that also go great gas mileage but super car power. The answer was simple LSX. Idles at 1600 on the highway getting over 32 mpg.

T
sutol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #55
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Abbotsford BC
Posts: 30
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glensmith View Post
Hi guys! I'm new here and would be delighted if you guys could help me out with my 400whp goal.
I drive a 91 na6. After searching on this forum, I found out that my goal can only be met with swapping a 1.8 and turbo charge it with one of those turbo kits in the market (correct me if i am wrong..). And I can't afford a v8 swap atm.
I am interested in the FMIIR kits, the hp gain seems so promising.
So, what are your opinion and suggestions to my problem?
Thanks in advance.
I hope you have a shitload of money.
97montego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #56
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 127
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutol1 View Post
I have had a 180 rwh NA and now have a 440rwh na. Same car but did a LSX conversion. For me finding a tuner that would allow me to go more on the supercharging was difficult to say the least. Bad tuning cost me the last 1.8 so I decided normally aspirated with a factory tune (ish) was the way to go. A motor that only put about 180 pounds on the car in total but has given me over 400ft of torque at 1700 rpm.

The funny thing is even though I can pass a viper ACR and GT2 , R8 and such the supercharger was equally fun to drive and on a track would suggest a turbo would be even more fun from a sensation sense. An LSX hits so hard with it power so low you get the intial hit then it just keeps pulling but your sense of speed is gone. My miata is fast based on the numbers and cars I can pass on the straights but it doesn't feel it.

Power is a funny thing....it is not just the power but how it comes on that makes the ride satisfying. If you just want to pass people as the motor stretches it legs that is one thing but if youlike to feel the surge and sense of speed I am not sure a big v8 does that. Mine is more like an electric motor.

The other interesting thing is the sound. Yes the V8 sounds amazing to those I pass but for the driver on the track I don't hear much. I do hear my friends ported and polished MP62 screaming behind me.

I looked at all ways of getting alot of power and agree with most that it doesn't matter what you build to do it right is 20K. Can be done cheap yes and be done well but if 20K scares you that should tell you something.

Lastly I would say 400 is simply a number...why not 500....bet it would feel about the same. Had my motor not quit I would have been happy at 250rwh but the car fully dialed in. If you start chasing power you will never be satified. You need to truely understand your goal.

I did not go out and search for 440. Instead I wanted durable engine that was overbuild for my application. Was designed to pull power all day long on a heavier car, had a computer that was open to play with if need be and simple that also go great gas mileage but super car power. The answer was simple LSX. Idles at 1600 on the highway getting over 32 mpg.

T
One of the very reasons I;m going turbo instead of v8. The v8 feels is faster, turbo feels faster. Have had a ride and a few very powerful vettes, never really as impressed me as much as a much lower hp turbo car.
AnnorexicRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:00 PM   #57
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,362
Total Cats: 1,323
Default

The turbo is also easier and lighter.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:31 AM   #58
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,131
Total Cats: 598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
The turbo is also easier and lighter.
Depending on how one wants to keep the v8. If keeping the v8 stock, then one wouldnt have to tune a standalone.
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #59
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,362
Total Cats: 1,323
Default



Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #60
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 279
Total Cats: 2
Default

never known Sav to be speechless
mx594m is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1991 Turbo Miata partout tottestad Miata parts for sale/trade 18 09-14-2015 08:52 PM
Fiveomotorsport 300lph e85 rated fuel pump. tottestad Miata parts for sale/trade 0 07-01-2015 12:23 AM
Precision Garrett gt3076r tottestad Miata parts for sale/trade 7 06-29-2015 04:51 PM
Can WI increase the HP potential of a turbo? wes65 Methanol/Water Injection 28 01-21-2010 07:06 PM
Fueling for 400whp Faeflora General Miata Chat 23 10-18-2008 04:34 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:47 AM.