AN fittings and hoses - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Race Prep Miata race-only chat.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2015, 12:46 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Portland (left coast)
Posts: 214
Total Cats: 2
Default AN fittings and hoses

I am going to dive into my first AN fittings and just wanted to see if people have found staying with the same manufacturer/brand for both the AN fittings and hose is needed. It is not clear whether it is just marketing to say "recommended to use with" to keep you purchasing the brand or if that is sound advice because of slight variations in diameter that will inevitably compromise the seal.

Thanks.
tazswing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:49 PM   #2
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Posts: 870
Total Cats: 93
Default

This obviously doesn't apply for all brands, but my AN line is Summit brand, and my fittings are Earl's I believe. No issues.
acedeuce802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:14 PM   #3
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,775
Total Cats: 1,106
Default

The cheapest branded AN fittings and hoses I will use is Mocal and you can get the best prices for those fromBat Inc. Now I use exclusively Aeroquip that I get from my local hydraulic shop. They are a bit more costly, but quality wise is a good bit higher then other brands.

I have used most of the various other cheap brands eBay, earls, ANFittings Direct in the past and I have had leaks and other various problems. For peace of mind spending extra on good fittings and lines is worth it.

I would suggest looking in your phone book for a local hydraulic shop. Mine has 95% of the fittings I need in stock, and if they don't have it they can have it on Thursday. They also assemble all my lines for free.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:14 PM   #4
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 248
Total Cats: 13
Default

It is important to have high quality fittings and hose. In -AN fittings the sealing surface is between the nose/cone of the male fitting and the seat of the female fitting. They need to be machined at the correct angle and have a good surface finish to mate together.

The -AN fittings referred to by most automotive brand manufacturers are really just the industrial JIC fittings and SAE ORB fittings that are made out of pretty anodized aluminum. If they were actually to the -AN standards and tolerances, they would be many many times more expensive.
stoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: ATL
Posts: 728
Total Cats: 48
Default

FWIW - I started w/ Summit hose & fittings, then went to Earls, now I use Aeroquip hose & fittings exclusively.

YMMV
rwyatt365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:29 PM   #6
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Posts: 870
Total Cats: 93
Default

We only use BMRS hose and fittings at work on the racecars. But, that's likely out of the average budget.
acedeuce802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:09 PM   #7
Elite Member
 
codrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 3,875
Total Cats: 344
Default

For hose ends I've pretty much always used Earl's Swivel-Seal and never had any problems with them. You really need to buy the hose and the hose ends that are designed to work together. Simple adapters like AN-to-NPT, tees, etc are a lot less critical.

--Ian
codrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:18 PM   #8
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 248
Total Cats: 13
Default

I really do not like taper threads at all. NPT, BSPT, etc. If you want it to leak and be a pretty much one time use fitting, use a taper thread. They rely on deformation of the threads to seal.

Sorry, off topic.
stoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:22 PM   #9
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Portland (left coast)
Posts: 214
Total Cats: 2
Default

Thank you, all. That is great information and I'm glad I asked.
tazswing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #10
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Portland (left coast)
Posts: 214
Total Cats: 2
Default

Ah, Bat? Wow, that guy was awesome. Totally walked me through and helped me put together a system that should work for what I need. For a newbie with this stuff it was invaluable. Thanks for the referral!


Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
The cheapest branded AN fittings and hoses I will use is Mocal and you can get the best prices for those fromBat Inc. Now I use exclusively Aeroquip that I get from my local hydraulic shop. They are a bit more costly, but quality wise is a good bit higher then other brands.

I have used most of the various other cheap brands eBay, earls, ANFittings Direct in the past and I have had leaks and other various problems. For peace of mind spending extra on good fittings and lines is worth it.

I would suggest looking in your phone book for a local hydraulic shop. Mine has 95% of the fittings I need in stock, and if they don't have it they can have it on Thursday. They also assemble all my lines for free.
tazswing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:12 PM   #11
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,775
Total Cats: 1,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazswing View Post
Ah, Bat? Wow, that guy was awesome. Totally walked me through and helped me put together a system that should work for what I need. For a newbie with this stuff it was invaluable. Thanks for the referral!
Yeah Bat INC has always been good to me when I needed stuff in the past. Give them a call back and ask to get all your lines covered in fire sleeve. It is surprisingly cheap, and will keep stainless lines from rubbing through everything and prevent fires if a line breaks.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:59 PM   #12
SADFab Destructive Testing Engineer
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 17,990
Total Cats: 1,457
Default

If you want local then go to OFSCO, no questions asked. They can get you everything you need.

You can probably shop harder and beat their prices, but for something that you can't figure out they are awesome.

They let me buy like $250 of AN fittings when I was trying to make up my oil drain line. And then let me return $200 of them when I only needed 2.
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:08 PM   #13
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,775
Total Cats: 1,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidandj View Post
If you want local then go to OFSCO, no questions asked. They can get you everything you need.

You can probably shop harder and beat their prices, but for something that you can't figure out they are awesome.

They let me buy like $250 of AN fittings when I was trying to make up my oil drain line. And then let me return $200 of them when I only needed 2.
Going local for lines really is the best. I agree it will be slightly more, but the convenience is worth it. I love going in one day and getting a fitting attached to roughly the length of line I need. Taking it home that night and measuring then marking exactly the length I need it, then bringing it back the next day for them to finish the line. Perfectly fitted lines that I know are built correctly.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:26 PM   #14
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Portland (left coast)
Posts: 214
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
Yeah Bat INC has always been good to me when I needed stuff in the past. Give them a call back and ask to get all your lines covered in fire sleeve. It is surprisingly cheap, and will keep stainless lines from rubbing through everything and prevent fires if a line breaks.
No need. It was already part of my plan. I love high quality fire sleeves and think they are totally worth the extra $. The amount of wiring and hoses that could benefit from sleeving in any given engine bay is staggering.
tazswing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:15 PM   #15
Elite Member
 
codrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 3,875
Total Cats: 344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
Perfectly fitted lines that I know are built correctly.
Alternately, when you buy the hose and the Earl's parts, you can make it yourself, on the weekend, while you're working on your project, and without having to stop. It'll still be perfectly fitted (measure twice), and it'll be built correctly as long as you don't screw it up. Making hoses is easy.

--Ian
codrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:50 PM   #16
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Portland (left coast)
Posts: 214
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by codrus View Post
Alternately, when you buy the hose and the Earl's parts, you can make it yourself, on the weekend, while you're working on your project, and without having to stop. It'll still be perfectly fitted (measure twice), and it'll be built correctly as long as you don't screw it up. Making hoses is easy.

--Ian
Yeah, I am going to build the hoses myself since I am not exactly sure what the final length will be. Bat is going to clearly label for me what is what (-AN to -AN and BSP to -AN, etc....sounds like autocross race categories). They threw in some nice heat resistant tape with the order to secure the heat sleeves once all is assembled.

Oh, and speaking of heat sleeves, I have one on my whole self since what I am up to is a oil filter relocation You know, with -6AN lines....ha!
tazswing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:55 PM   #17
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,460
Total Cats: 782
Default

I use Earl's pretty much exclusively. Mostly because they're 15 minutes down the street and love it when i bring them stupid puzzles to figure out. I've never had any of their stuff properly assembled leak.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:56 PM   #18
SADFab Destructive Testing Engineer
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 17,990
Total Cats: 1,457
Default

I use Red Horse fittings. Because i get them cheap and I like them

They work awesome.

Not worried about pressure drop with an6? Thats some small *** line.
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:19 PM   #19
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sandia Park, NM
Posts: 387
Total Cats: 38
Default

I've had no issues with the aeroquip socketless fittings and hose with oetiker clamps. I don't remember them being all that much more than other cheap options.
leboeuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:41 PM   #20
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Portland (left coast)
Posts: 214
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidandj View Post
I use Red Horse fittings. Because i get them cheap and I like them

They work awesome.

Not worried about pressure drop with an6? Thats some small *** line.
You mean oil pressure is something I should have considered?

No, I went with -10AN and I think I can do all straight hose ends. The angle the oil will have to travel will be within the adapters. I am going to run a oil pressure sender at some point, too, since keeping eyes on such things would be nice. I need to research where the best place is to monitor oil pressure from on these 1.8L before diving into that.
tazswing is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brand new RA1s and R1Rs whitena Miata parts for sale/trade 25 03-07-2017 08:03 PM
1.6L oil feet port plug picture needed. Trent DIY Turbo Discussion 4 10-05-2015 04:46 PM
Help with OEM engine hose sizes. scratchedup Engine Performance 2 09-13-2015 04:17 PM
Wanting to Buy TE37 CUPS Hi Im Simon WTB 0 03-26-2007 07:59 PM
Diameter of oil return and compressor outlet? Joe Perez Prefabbed Turbo Kits 1 07-02-2006 12:26 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:39 AM.