Honey Badger first track day at NJMP - Page 3 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Race Prep Miata race-only chat.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-01-2016, 02:54 PM   #41
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 815
Total Cats: 47
Default

I will be using Centric rotors, same as what 949racing sells.
Mazdaspeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:59 PM   #42
Ian
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 163
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efini~FC3S View Post
There are no true "dual purpose" pads.

You really shouldn't be running track compounds on the street.

Swapping pads is easy.

Super easy.

Swapping rotors is easy.


I would not run XP1x/PFCxx on the street. I don't care what the temp range is.
What experience do you have with race pads on the street to back this up?

I ask because I ran XP12/XP10 and DTC-60's on 11" Wilwood kit on the street for the past 3 years. Swapping pads is easy, but not swapping them is easiest. Aside from the rotors getting devoured, they are fine on the street.

I've heard nothing but good things about PFC race pads. They will be next for me.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:09 PM   #43
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,684
Total Cats: 1,562
Default

I'm only running 205 Hoosiers and 11.75 Wilwood rotors and sport rear rorors, so I've got more brake and less tire than you. I guess he says with that much tire in a full weight car, some of the parts store rotors don't last. Centric is known to be pretty good, though.

Get some Wilwoods when you get a chance. 11.75 was a beautiful step up.
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:45 PM   #44
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 251
Total Cats: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
I'm only running 205 Hoosiers and 11.75 Wilwood rotors and sport rear rorors, so I've got more brake and less tire than you. I guess he says with that much tire in a full weight car, some of the parts store rotors don't last. Centric is known to be pretty good, though.

Get some Wilwoods when you get a chance. 11.75 was a beautiful step up.
+1. I'm running the same tire/brake setup. The step up from 1.8 brakes was awesome. Pads used to last a weekend. I don't know how long they last now because I'm only 3 weekends in with them, but still tons of material left. Pads are cheaper too

I have way less power than you guys though :(
dasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:39 PM   #45
Elite Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,052
Total Cats: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
What experience do you have with race pads on the street to back this up?
.
Many moons ago I used to track a turbo Miata...circa 2009-2010. For a short period of time I ran some Hawk race pads on the street and the track. So I do have some experience.

It didn't take me long to realize that it was way better to have two sets of rotors and two sets of pads, and to swap at the beginning and end of a track weekend.
Efini~FC3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:43 PM   #46
Ian
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 163
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efini~FC3S View Post
It didn't take me long to realize that it was way better to have two sets of rotors and two sets of pads, and to swap at the beginning and end of a track weekend.
Seems like a waste of time to go through swapping, but that's what makes us all special snowflakes I guess. I street RA1's, is that wrong too? Really comes down to personal preference and priority, I just wanted to share my experiences with running the pads in question on the street for years after you said OP shouldn't. knowwhatimean?
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:17 PM   #47
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 815
Total Cats: 47
Default

So, the PFC are not available in the sport size so they are out of the equation. I am getting a close split on people saying whether to run the XP12/10 on the street, some are saying yes, some no, so I'm going to try it out. One guy told me he got so used to them that he couldn't go back to standard brakes for the street and gets good life out of them, but did mention they need to be driven a little harder to keep them from wrecking the rotors. I honestly don't drive enough on the street (not a DD) to really worry, but I'll keep my HPS setup just in case I really hate the stronger pads on the street.

So now the only question is whether I go with Carbotech, G-Loc, or another mystery company. PFC not available in 1.8 sport, and I am not interested in a BBK right now.

Any of these pads bonded to the backer, or do they all use rivets?
Mazdaspeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #48
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 815
Total Cats: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdaspeeder View Post
So, the PFC are not available in the sport size so they are out of the equation. I am getting a close split on people saying whether to run the XP12/10 on the street, some are saying yes, some no, so I'm going to try it out. One guy told me he got so used to them that he couldn't go back to standard brakes for the street and gets good life out of them, but did mention they need to be driven a little harder to keep them from wrecking the rotors. I honestly don't drive enough on the street (not a DD) to really worry, but I'll keep my HPS setup just in case I really hate the stronger pads on the street.

So now the only question is whether I go with Carbotech, G-Loc, or another mystery company. PFC not available in 1.8 sport, and I am not interested in a BBK right now.

Any of these pads bonded to the backer, or do they all use rivets?
I went ahead and got the G-Loc 12/10 pads. They will still be worlds better than what I have now and I'll probably wear them out before I learn to drive at their limit
Mazdaspeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:22 PM   #49
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 815
Total Cats: 47
Default

until I buy these photos which I'm still sorting through, I can only share the links, so I hope you don't mind clicking. Some of the photos are of an off-road adventure proving you need more than street pads to stop a 140mph Miata

Coach almost picking up that front wheel: WindShadow Photo Studios | Hooked On Driving - Season Opener March - Group B Sunday | HKDODRV-GROUPB-032716-0072
WindShadow Photo Studios | Hooked On Driving - Season Opener March - Group B Sunday | HKDODRV-GROUPB-032716-0026
Huge smile on my face leaving turn 5: WindShadow Photo Studios | Hooked On Driving - Season Opener March - Group A Sunday | HKDODRV-GROUPA-032716-0108

Here's where my instructor got a bad taste of brakes, and where you can see the travel of the XIDAs really well Grin
WindShadow Photo Studios | Hooked On Driving - Season Opener March - Group A Sunday | HKDODRV-GROUPA-032716-0176
WindShadow Photo Studios | Hooked On Driving - Season Opener March - Group A Sunday | HKDODRV-GROUPA-032716-0177
WindShadow Photo Studios | Hooked On Driving - Season Opener March - Group A Sunday | HKDODRV-GROUPA-032716-0178

Also if anyone was on the fence about the 245/40-15x10, you can see it DOES work, and after that rallycross section of track, I only have one small groove cut from the front fender-to-bumper metal tab which I already bent away.
Mazdaspeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #50
Mr Broke Pants
iTrader: (9)
 
thumpetto007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,602
Total Cats: 28
Default

lol were you guys listening to the radio?
thumpetto007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:32 AM   #51
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 815
Total Cats: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpetto007 View Post
lol were you guys listening to the radio?
I left the radio on by accident and didn't notice cause my volume was just turned down. Thats gotta be at least .5-1sec worth of drag.
Mazdaspeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:49 PM   #52
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 261
Total Cats: 15
Default

Any in car video? I need more EFR goodness to hold me over until I can buy one...
Uncle Humjaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:06 PM   #53
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 815
Total Cats: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Humjaba View Post
Any in car video? I need more EFR goodness to hold me over until I can buy one...
I'm running lightning tomorrow for the first time so I'll have a few. I got a GoPro and rollbar mount
Mazdaspeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car stumbles and then stalls. Help? Justin Weber General Miata Chat 6 03-04-2016 12:09 PM
949 2.25" spring locators aidandj Miata parts for sale/trade 0 02-16-2016 03:26 PM
Quick Coolant Reroute Question OGWar Engine Performance 10 02-15-2016 02:51 PM
Car covers - which one is the best for a new MX-5? carid Official Miata Turbo Vendors 1 02-10-2016 09:22 AM
small track video ReallyRottenTurbo General Miata Chat 1 02-09-2016 02:18 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:27 AM.