Shock tower brace. Worthwhile or toss it? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Race Prep Miata race-only chat.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Naperville
Posts: 369
Total Cats: 3
Default Shock tower brace. Worthwhile or toss it?

When I was installing my Xidas I had to remove the strut bar to access the shock bolt on the passenger side. That thing is heavy! I noticed Emilio doesn't run one on Crusher but does have one on his 94R. Do they do anything for handling or improving lap times?
tomiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 4,682
Total Cats: 216
Default

Useless weight
Full_Tilt_Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
MT Pony Underground
iTrader: (6)
 
Nagase's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,811
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt_Boogie View Post
Useless weight
Not true in the least.

Great place to lean on while getting in the engine bay.

Unless it's hot.

(Probably useless for handling)
Nagase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 13
Total Cats: 0
Default

useless

toss it !
ahlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 4,682
Total Cats: 216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagase View Post
Not true in the least.

Great place to lean on while getting in the engine bay.

Unless it's hot.

(Probably useless for handling)
I always used the insulated plastic oil fill cap
Full_Tilt_Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:00 AM   #6
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: KY
Posts: 698
Total Cats: 48
Default

I thought about putting a bar on my 91 a few times, but never felt like spending the money. In theory, shock tower bars are worthless for a double wishbone car, but I think the old NA chassis are so floppy that ANY bracing is helpful. I wouldn't add the weight to a caged car, but I'd definitely put one on a street car if it were free.
jpreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #7
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Naperville
Posts: 369
Total Cats: 3
Default

maybe that's why Emilio has one on his 95R
tomiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,833
Total Cats: 1,786
Default

the pointless STB with two swivel points for uselessness on my floppy dick chassis did jack **** but make it harder to remove coils/plugs.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: finger lakes NY
Posts: 444
Total Cats: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomiboy View Post
I noticed Emilio doesn't run one on Crusher but does have one on his 94R.
Do they add points in whatever class Crusher's running in?
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #10
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,309
Total Cats: 1,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Do they add points in whatever class Crusher's running in?
ding ding ding

Plus NVH not much a concern in a seam welded and caged tub
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #11
Elite Member
iTrader: (21)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 5,684
Total Cats: 555
Default

Apparently, they can be used as a structural component in a Locost. See pics here: Should I buy or have I smoked too much crack? - Miata Turbo Forum - Turbo Kitten is watching you test compression.
rleete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #12
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,833
Total Cats: 1,786
Default

rofl.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #13
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Naperville
Posts: 369
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
ding ding ding

Plus NVH not much a concern in a seam welded and caged tub
My car is not seam welded and caged so maybe the STB does do something positive for handling. If it's just to isolate vibration I could care less. Probably a naive question but why would it cost points if it doesn't make the car faster?
tomiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,174
Total Cats: 2,575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomiboy View Post
My car is not seam welded and caged so maybe the STB does do something positive for handling. If it's just to isolate vibration I could care less. Probably a naive question but why would it cost points if it doesn't make the car faster?
-It doesn't. Its to improve feel, not performance.
-Because it makes other cars in the class faster, therefore costs everyone points.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #15
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Naperville
Posts: 369
Total Cats: 3
Default

FOUND IT on Emilios post about his 94 with an STB


Quote:



Originally Posted by hornetball View Post

I see a really nice STB there. So much conflicting info out there on whether these matter on a chassis with control arms instead of McPhersons. Would love to hear your thoughts on that.


Reduces cowl shake a bit, has no effect on handling, looks cool. John liked the way it looked and wanted it in there. As he's the one building everything here, he puts his stamp on things like that. I wasn't digging the Cusco blue mounts so asked him to shoot those crinkle black.

To make any noticeable change to handling, it needs to be massive like the OEM steel braces or maybe the burly Tein STB for the NB's. Mazda added the braces for NVH reduction.


In the beginning Emilio says it reduces cowl shake. He says Mazda did it to eliminate NVH, but later says you'd need an OEM one to make a change to the handling. So mine's OEM, I guess it's helping?

I guess I'll try it with and without and see if I can see any difference
tomiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #16
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 6,009
Total Cats: 583
Default

I'm always looking out for you gays!!!
hornetball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #17
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 9,642
Total Cats: 954
Default

I have the massive NB Tien one Emilio referenced in the above. I live on one of those streets that has been repaved so many times that I will damn near high center on my driveway transition unless I take it at a 45 angle. Before the big *** Tien, my dome light would come on when I passed over the top of the transition. After the Tien, no light.

Then some asshat at the transmission shop flattened my framerail and the light started coming back on again.

Did it do something? Yes. Is it worth it? Probably not.

I'd recommend you save your cash for something substantial. I installed a set of Frog Arms and they made a difference I could actually feel. I helped a friend install a set of V8R framerails and those things are BEASTIAL. I'm not nearly as hardcore so I have a set of FMs framerails in the garage, waiting for the free time and good weather gods to bless me so I can install them. I'd love to figure out a way to tie them into a set of door bars...
EO2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #18
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Wrong, crusher has a strut-bar on it.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #19
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,970
Total Cats: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomiboy View Post
FOUND IT on Emilios post about his 94 with an STB


Quote:



Originally Posted by hornetball View Post

I see a really nice STB there. So much conflicting info out there on whether these matter on a chassis with control arms instead of McPhersons. Would love to hear your thoughts on that.


Reduces cowl shake a bit, has no effect on handling, looks cool. John liked the way it looked and wanted it in there. As he's the one building everything here, he puts his stamp on things like that. I wasn't digging the Cusco blue mounts so asked him to shoot those crinkle black.

To make any noticeable change to handling, it needs to be massive like the OEM steel braces or maybe the burly Tein STB for the NB's. Mazda added the braces for NVH reduction.


In the beginning Emilio says it reduces cowl shake. He says Mazda did it to eliminate NVH, but later says you'd need an OEM one to make a change to the handling. So mine's OEM, I guess it's helping?

I guess I'll try it with and without and see if I can see any difference
I think the OEM steel brace is a reference to some of the bracing that was added in on later miatas to tighten up the chassis. Just a guess though.
Seefo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #20
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,284
Total Cats: 178
Default

Cobalt triangulated strut/shock tower brace?

Polished Stainless Steel Miata Shock Tower Brace for Miata

Attached Thumbnails
Shock tower brace. Worthwhile or toss it?-jr%25203%2520point%2520brace.jpg  
Scrappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 57 07-19-2017 05:11 PM
15x10 - 15x11 6UL @ 949 Racing emilio700 Wheels and Tires 151 06-02-2017 03:36 PM
[CT] 1999 Mazda Miata 10th Anniversary Edition - $5800 Jike Spingleton Cars for sale/trade 3 09-20-2016 05:33 PM
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
LucaCarMods's Boosted Dutch Miata Build! LucaCarMods Build Threads 11 02-14-2016 07:13 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:48 AM.