Supercharger Discussion For all you misguided souls.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coldside mp 62 without 5th injector?

 
Old 11-12-2010, 01:21 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Zilina,Slovakia
Posts: 79
Total Cats: 0
Default coldside mp 62 without 5th injector?

Is it possible to run miata 00 BP engine with eaton mp 62 coldside supercharger (FFS 10,5psi, 65mm nose to 105 crank pulley,75mm throttle body)to run without 5th injector and without any WI, properly and conservative tuned with for example megasquirt ECU and with larger injectors (for example 470ccm)?
Location of IAT (gm open element sensor) will be in the intake manifold.
Engine is with stock pistons 9.0:1 CR,forged H beam rods, with coolant re-route.
I do not need more then 190-200 rwhp, only what I need is safe operation without any knock and overheating. Only daily drive and maybe 5 times per year autoX.
elektron is offline  
Old 11-12-2010, 01:40 PM
  #2  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 104
Total Cats: 2
Default

If you are referring to 10.5psi the answer is 'No'. The positive displacement blowers will heat the air too much. If hotside SC'ers need to add an intercooler when they approach 8psi what makes you think 10.5psi is possible without charge cooling? Water injection can be had used for dirt cheap pricing. If you can't afford the additional cost hold off because there is always things that are needed when you go FI. Mainly you will probably need to upgrade your injectors if you don't plan on flooding the system with the fifth injector. The fuel filter probably will need changing depending on mileage and maybe even your fuel pump.
Staffah is offline  
Old 11-12-2010, 01:40 PM
  #3  
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 1,516
Total Cats: 400
Default

When BRP/FFS first sold them, they did not include the 5th injector. The pulley ratio was 65/95 for 2001+ or 65/100 for 99-00 Miatas. These kits produced around 170 RWHP and used the old style JR Powercard or the BRP ELF. My kit produced 177 RWHP at the time. The 105mm crank pulley was used with the 5th injector.
99mx5 is offline  
Old 11-12-2010, 01:41 PM
  #4  
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 402
Total Cats: 2
Default

Assuming a careful/good tune then you should be okay. The megasquirt and larger injectors should provide all the fuel you need. Just be careful on the timing.

*I don't know exactly what size injectors to recommend. Just make sure they are adequately sized for your fueling needs

Obviously water injection will net you more power, and knock detection is always a good thing, but you "can" run without them. You will likely be leaving some power on the table however.
Chris Swearingen is offline  
Old 11-12-2010, 02:04 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Zilina,Slovakia
Posts: 79
Total Cats: 0
Default

Originally Posted by Staffah View Post
If you are referring to 10.5psi the answer is 'No'. The positive displacement blowers will heat the air too much. If hotside SC'ers need to add an intercooler when they approach 8psi what makes you think 10.5psi is possible without charge cooling? Water injection can be had used for dirt cheap pricing. If you can't afford the additional cost hold off because there is always things that are needed when you go FI. Mainly you will probably need to upgrade your injectors if you don't plan on flooding the system with the fifth injector. The fuel filter probably will need changing depending on mileage and maybe even your fuel pump.
Additional costs are not a biggest problem for me... My mistake was ordering of coldside kit with 5th injector and PC PROs.Biggest problem now is to run it safe for engine..
I have damaged my engine twice (first 5.000miles after supercharged,2nd 2000miles - maybe improperly tune with pc pros cards, 5th injector spreading or overheating of 3rd,4th piston,... )
Pre blower WI is not good for superchager, WI with location of nozzle in the intake manifold instead of 5th injector is not safe - inadequate spreading for all pistons..

Last edited by elektron; 11-12-2010 at 02:23 PM.
elektron is offline  
Old 11-12-2010, 02:10 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Zilina,Slovakia
Posts: 79
Total Cats: 0
Default

Originally Posted by Chris Swearingen View Post
Assuming a careful/good tune then you should be okay. The megasquirt and larger injectors should provide all the fuel you need. Just be careful on the timing.

*I don't know exactly what size injectors to recommend. Just make sure they are adequately sized for your fueling needs

Obviously water injection will net you more power, and knock detection is always a good thing, but you "can" run without them. You will likely be leaving some power on the table however.

Thank,I hope so. I think that relocation of IAT to the intake manifold will be helpfull for properly timing adjustment too. For safe maybe I really would start with smaller pulley (95-100mm)

Last edited by elektron; 11-12-2010 at 02:24 PM.
elektron is offline  
Old 11-12-2010, 03:08 PM
  #7  
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 402
Total Cats: 2
Default

Originally Posted by elektron View Post
Thank,I hope so. I think that relocation of IAT to the intake manifold will be helpfull for properly timing adjustment too. For safe maybe I really would start with smaller pulley (95-100mm)
Better safe than sorry, but realize you will have to re dyno tune for each size pulley.
Chris Swearingen is offline  
Old 11-17-2010, 07:07 PM
  #8  
MT Pony Underground
iTrader: (6)
 
Nagase's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,805
Total Cats: 0
Default

Why not use fuel as fuel and put some water injection on it? Much more effective.
Nagase is offline  
Old 11-22-2010, 04:07 PM
  #9  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Zilina,Slovakia
Posts: 79
Total Cats: 0
Default

Afraid of supercharger damage from pre blower WI.
elektron is offline  
Old 11-22-2010, 04:24 PM
  #10  
MT Pony Underground
iTrader: (6)
 
Nagase's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,805
Total Cats: 0
Default

Originally Posted by elektron View Post
Afraid of supercharger damage from pre blower WI.
Don't coldsides have a little intake manifold there? Just pop one in each runner.
Nagase is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Full_Tilt_Boogie
Build Threads
67
03-16-2019 08:07 PM
StratoBlue1109
Miata parts for sale/trade
21
09-30-2018 01:09 PM
90 Turbo
MEGAsquirt
19
10-19-2015 03:23 PM
Trent
WTB
2
10-01-2015 12:15 PM
The Gleas
MEGAsquirt
3
10-01-2015 09:30 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: coldside mp 62 without 5th injector?


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.