Jackson Racing Rotrex race kit proto - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Supercharger Discussion For all you misguided souls.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jackson Racing Rotrex race kit proto

Old 09-09-2014, 12:05 AM
  #21  
gtz
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 27
Total Cats: -1
Default

I guess this means TrackSpeed needs to get their CARB EO number so they can compete
gtz is offline  
Old 09-09-2014, 06:13 PM
  #22  
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: *** BANNED ***
Posts: 9,598
Total Cats: 968
Default

Originally Posted by gtz View Post
I do have some leftover 'tools' from Ikea, so it should only take me 2 months.
So go buy some real tools. If you can't install a rotrex in a weekend you need seriously rethink your mechanical abilities.

Originally Posted by jacob300zx View Post
The Rotrex cars looked strong all weekend at MRLS.
I too was watching, and they did look good

Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
ftfy
Yet more props for Emilio today
EO2K is offline  
Old 09-09-2014, 07:42 PM
  #23  
gtz
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 27
Total Cats: -1
Default

I have no interest in expanding my mechanical abilities, its my driving abilities Im looking to improve.
Are you interested in a kit 2k? I seem to recall reading that you got burned years ago with the KW kits and their 'pending' CARB EO.

Im not looking to be a master mechanic, nor ultimate power, I just want this thing installed for some spirited driving and to be problem free. We'll see how it goes.
gtz is offline  
Reply
Leave a poscat -1 Leave a negcat
Old 09-09-2014, 08:15 PM
  #24  
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,788
Total Cats: 1,607
Default

Originally Posted by gtz View Post
I have no interest in expanding my mechanical abilities, its my driving abilities Im looking to improve.
Are you interested in a kit 2k? I seem to recall reading that you got burned years ago with the KW kits and their 'pending' CARB EO.

Im not looking to be a master mechanic, nor ultimate power, I just want this thing installed for some spirited driving and to be problem free. We'll see how it goes.
KW never had a pending EO. Jackson Racing CARB's about 2 kits a year for various platform. Their Miata kit already has it's EO # as of about 12 days ago.

If you have a basic automotive tool set and can follow instructions, you can install this kit. As always, we recommend letting a pro do it. Preferably one that knows Miatas.
__________________


www.facebook.com/SuperMiata

949RACING.COM Home of the 6UL wheel

.27 SNR
emilio700 is offline  
Old 09-09-2014, 09:16 PM
  #25  
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: *** BANNED ***
Posts: 9,598
Total Cats: 968
Default

Originally Posted by gtz View Post
Are you interested in a kit 2k?
Sure. If someone gave me one I'd run it and give honest feedback. But that's not going to happen.

Originally Posted by gtz View Post
I seem to recall reading that you got burned years ago with the KW kits and their 'pending' CARB EO.
Yes, its in my other thread. I don't need to crap up this one with more of that nonsense.

Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
KW never had a pending EO. Jackson Racing CARB's about 2 kits a year for various platform. Their Miata kit already has it's EO # as of about 12 days ago.
Jackson Racing certainly seems to have their **** together this time around. The ones I saw running at MRLS over the weekend seemed to have no issues. The mounts look far more polished than what KW was selling. The Jacksons as an independent entity seem like pretty solid people, not sure why they got caught up with Group A the first time around.

Regardless, when should full production kits be on the market?
EO2K is offline  
Old 09-09-2014, 09:28 PM
  #26  
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,788
Total Cats: 1,607
Default

Originally Posted by EO2K View Post
Regardless, when should full production kits be on the market?
We will start taking orders when we have a more firm ship date. Most likely December orders for January ship.
__________________


www.facebook.com/SuperMiata

949RACING.COM Home of the 6UL wheel

.27 SNR
emilio700 is offline  
Old 09-10-2014, 02:43 PM
  #27  
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
AbeFM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,044
Total Cats: 9
Default

Having seen the car fairly intimately, and checking out a few others with the carb-legal kit, yeah - it's something anyone can do with real effort. It's just the right level that you'd learn a lot but be able to pull it off. Probably 40% the work of an FM-II, 30% of their old kits. :-)

There was an overwhelming sense of reliability in it. Not sure how much of that came from the fact all the people I saw running them knew how to build solid running cars in the first place, but it sure LOOKS like 5 bolts to glory when it's done. Very clean looking, VERY linear power.
AbeFM is offline  
Old 09-10-2014, 04:27 PM
  #28  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Meridian, Mississippi
Posts: 628
Total Cats: 42
Default

Originally Posted by AbeFM View Post
It's just the right level that you'd learn a lot but be able to pull it off. Probably 40% the work of an FM-II, 30% of their old kits. :-)
So, around 5% of the effort of installing a BEGi kit without any instructions?

Keith
Twodoor is offline  
Old 09-10-2014, 09:32 PM
  #29  
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 1,314
Total Cats: 57
Default

Glad to see that Whammy engine finally got a Rotrex! Power curve looks great! Similar to mine but you got there with less boost. Welcome to the dark side.

Last edited by k24madness; 09-10-2014 at 09:58 PM.
k24madness is offline  
Old 09-10-2014, 09:40 PM
  #30  
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Mobius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,380
Total Cats: 313
Default

I installed mine while doing my first ever timing belt. Both were my first automotive procedures substantially more difficult than an oil change. With a modest collection of hand tools and an ability to read and follow directions anyone can install a rotrex.

I mean, it's not a lego kit, but you can see everything that needs to be done when you open the hood of a rotrex car. It's all right there.
Mobius is offline  
Old 09-10-2014, 10:23 PM
  #31  
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,788
Total Cats: 1,607
Default

Originally Posted by k24madness View Post
Glad to see that Whammy engine finally got a Rotrex! Power curve looks great! Similar to mine but you got there with less boost. Welcome to the dark side.
There are even more torques to be found. That was pull number 5. No VVT sweeps. No real fuel sweeps, just trimmed fuel to get it flat-ish. Added a flat timing table (again no sweeps), no sweeps on injection timing. No sweeps on exhaust cam timing. Individual trim COPS and header with 4 WBO2's not set up yet...you get the idea.

My goal is to make 200lbs at 3500 and maybe hit 250 peak. I think it'll make 320whp on top.
__________________


www.facebook.com/SuperMiata

949RACING.COM Home of the 6UL wheel

.27 SNR
emilio700 is offline  
Old 09-10-2014, 10:35 PM
  #32  
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 1,314
Total Cats: 57
Default

Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post

My goal is to make 200lbs at 3500 and maybe hit 250 peak. I think it'll make 320whp on top.
320whp should be easy. The 200lbs at 3,500 is gonna be tough but you know better than I do if that VVT can get you there. I like where the new Rotrex tuning is headed. :-) It's good to have company again.

A 250tq peak would be nice to have. I don't know what's holding me back from that. The ebay tri Y header or the skunk2 intake. My bet is on the header.
k24madness is offline  
Old 09-12-2014, 05:25 AM
  #33  
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 26
Total Cats: 0
Default

Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
We will start taking orders when we have a more firm ship date. Most likely December orders for January ship.
Hoping to be back from the war by then and this will be my welcome home gift to myself. Also in the market for a hardtop and mega squirt. Glad to see this is coming along so well. Good luck, Emilio. Excited to see the final kit.
Nathan F is offline  
Old 09-15-2014, 12:40 PM
  #34  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: A2 Michigan (UofM!)
Posts: 65
Total Cats: -10
Default

Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
ftfy
He's gonna hate it when he has to build an MS for my Rotrex.
BAHKACK is offline  
Old 09-15-2014, 07:39 PM
  #35  
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: *** BANNED ***
Posts: 9,598
Total Cats: 968
Default

Originally Posted by BAHKACK View Post
He's gonna hate it when he has to build an MS for my Rotrex.
Just buy one from Reverant, he don't hate nobody
EO2K is offline  
Old 09-15-2014, 07:49 PM
  #36  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: A2 Michigan (UofM!)
Posts: 65
Total Cats: -10
Default

Originally Posted by EO2K View Post
Just buy one from Reverant, he don't hate nobody
Brains ok.
It'd be a lesser world w/out him.
BAHKACK is offline  
Old 11-20-2014, 02:40 AM
  #37  
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Los Gatos, California
Posts: 67
Total Cats: -4
Default

Emilio
Any updates on your own implementation of the JR Rotrex kit? In terms of midrange boost/torque, and how you see it as long term solution for track-Miata under constant 30 minute full load?

Wonder if the blow-off valve is working as you wish, and if you see any opportunity to make use (recirculate?) of the bypassed pressure, or maybe see opportunity to slow down Rotrex at Redline to maintain boost and maintain compressor speed (without expensive gearbox)?

How you see this option compared to K24? You seemed poised to go that direction originally upon announcement of the idea/kit, but since the successful racers seem to have lost interest in engine swap. Is it the newly developed head porting that gave Miata new lease of life? or?
alpinaturbo is offline  
Old 11-20-2014, 01:37 PM
  #38  
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,788
Total Cats: 1,607
Default

Originally Posted by alpinaturbo View Post
Emilio
Any updates on your own implementation of the JR Rotrex kit? In terms of midrange boost/torque, and how you see it as long term solution for track-Miata under constant 30 minute full load?

Wonder if the blow-off valve is working as you wish, and if you see any opportunity to make use (recirculate?) of the bypassed pressure, or maybe see opportunity to slow down Rotrex at Redline to maintain boost and maintain compressor speed (without expensive gearbox)?

How you see this option compared to K24? You seemed poised to go that direction originally upon announcement of the idea/kit, but since the successful racers seem to have lost interest in engine swap. Is it the newly developed head porting that gave Miata new lease of life? or?
You reached your question limit, sorry

The JR Rotrex works perfectly on track. I assume your question pertains to a decision you are trying to make between a K, turbo or Rotrex for track use. The Rotrex solution is the least expensive and easiest to implement.

Our BOV set up works as intended and previously described. I know of no other method for limiting peak output that is as efficient. A simple restrictor is easier to do but provides less precision and is limited in how much boost can be capped. IOW, you can't choke 100whp worth of flow with a restrictor without unpleasant repercussions in charge heat, drag on the blower, etc. The CARB kits will be spun well below blower redline and use a restrictor. The 300whp implementation in Deviate can run max blower CFM and bleed boost down to 220whp on pump gas without any problems.

The OGK (no windshield) will get a K20 with a C30-94 for about 400whp. For no other reason than we want to try it.
__________________


www.facebook.com/SuperMiata

949RACING.COM Home of the 6UL wheel

.27 SNR
emilio700 is offline  
Old 11-20-2014, 01:59 PM
  #39  
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: *** BANNED ***
Posts: 9,598
Total Cats: 968
Default

Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
The OGK (no windshield) will get a K20 with a C30-94 for about 400whp. For no other reason than we want to try it.
I'm glad we get these brief glimpses into your world.
EO2K is offline  
Old 11-20-2014, 02:55 PM
  #40  
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Posts: 2,573
Total Cats: 11
Default

Any update on pricing/availability for the CARB kit?
cardriverx is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jackson Racing Rotrex race kit proto


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.