5 lug miata - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain discuss the wondrous effects of boost and your miata...
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 lug miata

Old 10-08-2008, 01:04 PM
  #1  
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 43
Total Cats: 0
Default 5 lug miata

Just curious if anyone has converted their miata to 5 lugs all the way around. The reason Im asking is because I know alot of V8 guys change the rear ends out to something more heavy duty (assuming 5 lug). If it hasent been done, I was thinking about coming up with my own conversion for the front spindles at least.
Brainsboy is offline  
Old 10-08-2008, 01:10 PM
  #2  
Ben
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,651
Total Cats: 111
Default

I see this question a lot. What I want to know is WHY? What is so fascinating about a 5 lug car.

Don't say it's because there are more 5 lug wheels on the market, as there's no shortage of 4x100.

Don't say it's because 4 lug isn't strong. Unless you can show me failures. I'm yet to see any. Plenty of 3-400 horsepower turbo 4 bangers running hard on wide and sticky 4x100 set ups.

Seems like a solution looking for a problem.
__________________
DIYAutoTune.com Tech Support
10AE-T|BEGi S4|MSPNP-Pro EMS|Enthuza Duals|6UL|Etc
Track Rat|2001|VVT|MS3-Pro EMS|Enthuza|Exocet in Progress

Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
Buy an MSPNP Pro, you'll feel better.
Ben is offline  
Old 10-08-2008, 01:35 PM
  #3  
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Auburn, AL
Posts: 20
Total Cats: 0
Default

I also don't see the need to do it with a miata. (Though I'm not trying to claim to be anything but a )

Maybe 5-lug would be useful if you had a really heavy car making huge torque?

I have seen it done with CRXs/Civics/Integras though, but usually only because it makes it easier to swap in some of the brakes (or L33T trick Type-R wheels! ) from the bigger Acura sedans and such. (Though I think in some cases you can just re-drill the rotors.)
Phoenix is offline  
Old 10-08-2008, 01:57 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Granbury, TX.
Posts: 1,273
Total Cats: 1
Default

However, questioning this mod as per your power plant might not be a bad thought.
Knockoffs would really help with the look of you car with the engine being the beauty that it is.
Machismo is offline  
Old 10-08-2008, 02:12 PM
  #5  
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 43
Total Cats: 0
Default

I guess you can call me old school, but I never cared for the looks of a 4 lug wheel. Personally I always felt 5 lugs looked better.

My question although was geared more towards people who change over to the Ford 8.8 rear ends which have 5 lugs. Matching rear 5 lugs rims with 4 lug fronts is not as easy.

If your simply after advantages, how about larger rotors, different braking system.
Brainsboy is offline  
Old 10-08-2008, 03:30 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Granbury, TX.
Posts: 1,273
Total Cats: 1
Default

That def. would appeal to the "Monster" crowd with that kind of conversion.
Machismo is offline  
Old 10-08-2008, 03:50 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Trenton, NJ
Posts: 1,118
Total Cats: 0
Default

McCully Racing Motors (MRM) have done a couple Ford V8 swaps, but when looking at the pics they kepts the 4 lugs.

ArtieParty is offline  
Old 10-08-2008, 05:09 PM
  #8  
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cromwell, Connecticut
Posts: 2,558
Total Cats: 11
Default

5lug swaps are huge in the 240sx world.

Mainly due to the 300zx brake swap (although rotors can be re-drilled), ease of access (most s14's have 5lugs that bolt up to the s13's) and because yes, it is harder to find 4x 114mm wheels made by certain "good" companies. As for strength, i see it as unnecessary.

4x 100 FTW
240_to_miata is offline  
Old 10-08-2008, 05:23 PM
  #9  
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 15,012
Total Cats: 1,820
Default

5-lug swaps are ******* useless, and nothing you say will convince anyone who has half a brain otherwise. All the reasons you are about to pull out of your *** are totally wrong, so just stop trying. I'm so ******* sick of this topic.
__________________
Trackspeed Engineering
High-Performance Turbo Specialists - Sunnyvale, CA - 650-701-7223 - Email us!
Originally Posted by codrus View Post
Basically I've come over to the camp of "If something is a reliability problem on the track, just ask Andrew and do what he says".
Savington is offline  
Old 10-08-2008, 05:28 PM
  #10  
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 75,296
Total Cats: 2,154
Default

he has a v12, might as well not stop at 4 lugs!
Braineack is offline  
Old 10-08-2008, 05:45 PM
  #11  
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,128
Total Cats: 480
Default

v12 = 6lug swap.

here's why you dont need 5 lugs to run big brakes:

y8s is offline  
Old 10-08-2008, 05:56 PM
  #12  
Ben
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,651
Total Cats: 111
Default

Originally Posted by Savington View Post
5-lug swaps are ******* useless...All the reasons you are about to pull out of your *** are totally wrong[.]
Except of course if you do a motor swap and your rear hubs are 5 lug, and you want to make your fronts 5 lug too. That's actually a pretty good reason.

The other reasons (strength, brake selection, wheel selection) are IMO weak.
__________________
DIYAutoTune.com Tech Support
10AE-T|BEGi S4|MSPNP-Pro EMS|Enthuza Duals|6UL|Etc
Track Rat|2001|VVT|MS3-Pro EMS|Enthuza|Exocet in Progress

Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
Buy an MSPNP Pro, you'll feel better.
Ben is offline  
Old 10-08-2008, 06:22 PM
  #13  
Junior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: las vegas
Posts: 203
Total Cats: 0
Default

the v8 swap's guys don't use 5lug

the axle is customized to fit using the miata axle shaft and a the mustang axle shaft
blue turbo mx5 is offline  
Old 10-08-2008, 06:23 PM
  #14  
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago. (The non-murder part.)
Posts: 28,102
Total Cats: 2,508
Default

Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Except of course if you do a motor swap and your rear hubs are 5 lug, and you want to make your fronts 5 lug too. That's actually a pretty good reason.
That I'll buy. Though now that the V8roadsters Caddilac CTS diff kit is widely available, I can't imagine why anybody would convert their rear to a 5 lug. Way too much work for zero return.

There's just no reason to do it other than aesthetics.
Joe Perez is offline  
Old 10-08-2008, 06:32 PM
  #15  
Ben
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,651
Total Cats: 111
Default

I agree. But hard core DIY guys who can't afford or don't want a commercial kit may pop out of the wood work with some crazy 5 lug axle madness.
__________________
DIYAutoTune.com Tech Support
10AE-T|BEGi S4|MSPNP-Pro EMS|Enthuza Duals|6UL|Etc
Track Rat|2001|VVT|MS3-Pro EMS|Enthuza|Exocet in Progress

Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
Buy an MSPNP Pro, you'll feel better.
Ben is offline  
Old 10-08-2008, 07:03 PM
  #16  
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago. (The non-murder part.)
Posts: 28,102
Total Cats: 2,508
Default

Perhaps I should have stated "Now that V8roadsters has shown the world what is possible..."

IOW, I don't think it matters what diff you are using- if you're going at it DIY, I'd think it'd be easier & cheaper to have a set of conversion half-axles made to plug the new diff into the old hubs, than to convert the car to 5 lug.
Joe Perez is offline  
Old 10-08-2008, 08:54 PM
  #17  
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,799
Total Cats: 68
Default

The ONLY reason i can think of for myself is wheel selection. I like to run 17"s and any wheel i want in 8" or wider only has the right offset in 5-lug wheels.... and im NOT paying for a custom set of BBS/Volk/Work.....
Doppelgänger is offline  
Old 10-09-2008, 03:00 PM
  #18  
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 5,362
Total Cats: 43
Default

What ******* difference does a 5.0 Monster Miata make in the 4/5 lug debate?



This debate gets soooo old... Mustangs had 4 lugs for YEARS... Guys run 10s on 4 lugs in 3200 pound cars... Thats about 1000 pounds HEAVIER than a miata...

A team of something like 17 engineers designed the miata and obviously felt like it didn't NEED 5 wheel studs, and four would be just fine and dandy. So why not, you know, Just leave it that way?
elesjuan is offline  
Old 10-09-2008, 03:06 PM
  #19  
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cromwell, Connecticut
Posts: 2,558
Total Cats: 11
Default

Originally Posted by elesjuan View Post
A team of something like 17 engineers designed the miata and obviously felt like it didn't NEED 5 wheel studs,
only 17 guys engineered this car????????????????????????? no way
240_to_miata is offline  
Old 10-09-2008, 04:37 PM
  #20  
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 43
Total Cats: 0
Default

Originally Posted by 240_to_miata_OWNER View Post
only 17 guys engineered this car????????????????????????? no way
17 japs = about 117 Gm techs
Brainsboy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5 lug miata


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.