Anyone running the NA 1.6 VLSD/rear end boosted? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain discuss the wondrous effects of boost and your miata...

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-10-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 27
Total Cats: 0
Default Anyone running the NA 1.6 VLSD/rear end boosted?

I've been reading all sort of scary stuff about the 6" gears in the 1.6 and how weak it is. Is anyone running this rear end on their boosted miatas or did everyone swap for the 1.8 7"? I'm curious because I am deciding whether I should go with a 1.8 rear end. If so, I'll probably just look for 94+ miata instead of swapping for brakes, rear end, etc.

oh yeah, I'm planning for manybe 180-200whp, not much more on this one anyway. If I had a 1.8, I'd go for more.

TIA
lazybummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:55 PM   #2
Junior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Charlotte , nc
Posts: 325
Total Cats: 1
Default

I ran the 6'' rear for 2 years on a 5-6 psi, greddy kit, Def under 200 HP... as i made incresases. I started feeling more sketchy about adding power. so i went ahead and found a torsen, and sold my still good conditon... Lots of torsens out there for easy insurance of not blowing up.
jedduh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Concord, North Carolina
Posts: 4,173
Total Cats: 5
Default

I broke mine NA, though special circumstances.

Buy my torsen and keep the lighter version of the car. Its not a complicated swap at all.
miatamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:08 PM   #4
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

I'm planning on you learning to search, or it will be the last time you ever ask stupid bullshit questions on the forum. You don't know who you're ******* with, but rest assured that there's about a dozen people on here who can't wait to crush your skull for wasting out time with endless bullshit. I'm pretty much the most bad-*** ************ on here, so I recommend taking special care to not **** me off. BTW, you're girlfriend is cheating on you.

Welcome to the forum,
your god

xoxo
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (5)
 
bryantaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: jacksonville, fl
Posts: 1,720
Total Cats: 0
Default

still on my open 1.6 rear end. as long as you don't drive like a tool, you should be fine for awhile.
bryantaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:21 AM   #6
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 27
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
I'm planning on you learning to search, or it will be the last time you ever ask stupid bullshit questions on the forum. You don't know who you're ******* with, but rest assured that there's about a dozen people on here who can't wait to crush your skull for wasting out time with endless bullshit. I'm pretty much the most bad-*** ************ on here, so I recommend taking special care to not **** me off. BTW, you're girlfriend is cheating on you.

Welcome to the forum,
your god

xoxo
ok I don't want to wage a flame war, but that is no way to welcome someone new to a forum. I could careless if you lack a life and have to come on miataturbo and post nearly 7000 posts in 2 years, that's more than 10 posts per day...I can't imagine how many posts you make in other forums you're on...

I probably have been roaming online forums much longer than you have been on the internet, so you don't have to tell me about the search button.

Oh, and if you clicked to open and read my thread, it's your own stupid fault, the topic is pretty clear what I am asking...if you don't want read it, don't read it dumbass
lazybummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:23 AM   #7
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 27
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatamania View Post
I broke mine NA, though special circumstances.

Buy my torsen and keep the lighter version of the car. Its not a complicated swap at all.
can't send PM's yet, gotta accrue 15posts...but, you're selling a torsen rear end? for how much? and too bad these don't fit in the flat rate priority mail boxes...
lazybummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:40 AM   #8
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,362
Total Cats: 1,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybummm View Post
ok I don't want to wage a flame war, but that is no way to welcome someone new to a forum. I could careless if you lack a life and have to come on miataturbo and post nearly 7000 posts in 2 years, that's more than 10 posts per day...I can't imagine how many posts you make in other forums you're on...

I probably have been roaming online forums much longer than you have been on the internet, so you don't have to tell me about the search button.

Oh, and if you clicked to open and read my thread, it's your own stupid fault, the topic is pretty clear what I am asking...if you don't want read it, don't read it dumbass
I'm going to firmly suggest you shut your mouth and spend a lot more time here reading and learning the atmosphere before you go shooting your mouth off like that.
Savington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:45 AM   #9
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,175
Total Cats: 2,578
Default


dont ever **** with hustler....he will e-thug the **** out of you
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:35 AM   #10
Elite Member
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 7,282
Total Cats: 0
Default

I've been runing mine for 10k or so. As long as you dont plan on going buttsexing or driving like an *** you will be ok.
__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
levnubhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:36 AM   #11
Elite Member
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 7,282
Total Cats: 0
Default

And do yourself a favor, laugh off what these guys write to you, go to the meet and greet and introduce yourself.
__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
levnubhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:49 AM   #12
Junior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 398
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by levnubhin View Post
and do yourself a favor, laugh off what these guys write to you, go to the meet and greet and introduce yourself.
+1
gompers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:52 AM   #13
Junior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 398
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybummm View Post
I've been reading all sort of scary stuff about the 6" gears in the 1.6 and how weak it is. Is anyone running this rear end on their boosted miatas or did everyone swap for the 1.8 7"? I'm curious because I am deciding whether I should go with a 1.8 rear end. If so, I'll probably just look for 94+ miata instead of swapping for brakes, rear end, etc.

oh yeah, I'm planning for manybe 180-200whp, not much more on this one anyway. If I had a 1.8, I'd go for more.

TIA

(double post but...**** it)

the 1.6 VLSD and/or open diff sucks monkey nuts. You WILL blow it, but the question is when. An entire 1.8 torsen swap can be had for 600 - 800, so it is something to keep in mind.
I blew my open 1.6 diff after ~15k boosted miles, and alot of them weren't gentle. (this was on a diff with 100k miles on it as well ^^)
The 1.6 seems to hold sub-200hp fairly well, as long as there aren't too many clutch drops/drifts.
gompers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #14
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 27
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by levnubhin View Post
And do yourself a favor, laugh off what these guys write to you, go to the meet and greet and introduce yourself.
Thanks for the reply. I was a irritated because I didn't post up a question asking about if and/or why the 1.8 rear end is better than 1.6, I've read a bunch and learned about the two and the differences and I wrote it out. I am looking for people's actual experiences with them, isn't that what forums are for? people sharing their experiences? Anyway maybe I got a little too irritated and just responded in a similar fashion...

The reason why I am thinking about this is because if I have to do a torsen swap, what's point of me keeping my 1.6. I would probably buy a cheap 94-97 miata instead, since I want the bigger rear end, 1.8, and it would be nice to have the bigger brakes, trying to think this through, spend the least amount of money possible for my goals.
lazybummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:34 PM   #15
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 1,850
Total Cats: -8
Default

I went through 2 of them within 4 years with a stock motor at 5000ft above sea level. They won't last.

Get yourself a 94.
BenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #16
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

only buy a 1.6 if its so cheap that it offsets the price of a torsen swap. If you're happy with 200-220whp, then the 1.6 may be viable. When it comes to trashed 1.6 miatas or miatas with a torsen, the cost difference doesn't fit the 1.6. If my 1.6 weren't $1600 with the hardtop and in perfect working order, I would have held off for a 1994 (the broken VW didn't help my choice either).

I have significantly more torque from 1000-3500rpm with the 1.9l (8.6:1), even with a turbo choking exhaust off boost.

btw, you passed the first test. There will be more...don't **** up.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:54 PM   #17
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: worcester ma
Posts: 1,124
Total Cats: 0
Default

i ran mine at 12 psi on a greddy kit for 6 months and then started to hear odd sounds comming from the rear end and motor, so i sold it.....
urgaynknowit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:40 PM   #18
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

I'd also like to point out the incorrect usage of a common colloquialism: "could not care less."
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:54 PM   #19
Junior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 398
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgaynknowit View Post
i ran mine at 12 psi on a greddy kit for 6 months and then started to hear odd sounds comming from the rear end and motor, so i sold it.....
lol, good thing I didn't buy a rear end from you ;p
gompers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:55 PM   #20
Senior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
nicacus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SLC UT
Posts: 1,133
Total Cats: 0
Default

I've been running about 8-9 Psi on mine its held up for about a year now, I baby the **** out of it though. no buttsexing or hard launches..
nicacus is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cannot set Base Timing to 10* Elfering MEGAsquirt 50 10-05-2015 09:04 AM
The "other" spool question stefanst DIY Turbo Discussion 44 09-28-2015 08:16 PM
Run boost gauge from ECU MAP? Itty MSPNP 6 09-22-2015 12:02 PM
Project DDoS: '99 "Budget" boost build ProjectDDoS Build Threads 1 09-09-2015 02:52 PM
New here, saying hi, here's what I'm workin with. SuperSneakySecretSquirrel Meet and Greet 5 09-06-2015 09:30 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:33 AM.