door bars are worth every cent - Page 4 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain discuss the wondrous effects of boost and your miata...

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-09-2009, 10:04 PM   #61
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
can someone post non-shitty pictures of them installed?
How about I kick your *** instead?
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:11 PM   #62
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Posts: 3,908
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
How about I pound your *** instead?
corrected
cueball1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:29 PM   #63
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball1 View Post
errected
now its right.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:01 PM   #64
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
now its tight.
There
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:07 PM   #65
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,889
Total Cats: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbundy View Post
In my professional opinion as a chassis structural engineer a flat plate on the bottom of the car will do next to nothing for stiffness. a flat plate to resist parrelelogramming like where one rail shifts forward and the other one shifts back will also do next to nothing in this case as well because I don’t thing that is a weak mode for the chassis to flex in.

Closing the bottom of the transmission tunnel in a structural way such that it makes the trans tunnel behave like a big tube rather than an open channel will do quite a lot. But you still have that torsion bar concept going on like where the material in the middle of a torsion bar adds minimal torsional stiffness. Hollow bar and a solid bar of the same OD have very similar torsional stiffness and yet the hollow one is the weight. The trans tunnel being in the center of the car isn’t as effective as material further away from the centroid like near the sills.

The stiffness that the FM butterfly adds to the chassis is mostly from its effectiveness at closing off the bottom of the trans tunnel making it behave like a tube. The problem I see is it could be designed allot better and be lighter than what it is to do this. It needs to bolt to the car near the edge of the tunnel not out by the frame rails. The later model factory braces are much better at doing this than the FM peace. I saw it as way to much weight for the benefit.

Bob
If I follow you here, as a chassis engineer/ME albeit for spacecraft, I agree. Put another way, if it were not for the trans tunnel the existing floor board would do a decent job of stiffening the bending mode you describe. Thus, it could be alleviated by closing out the trans tunnel.

I suspect the reason FM did the butterfly brace the way they did is it makes it more of a bolt-in proposition once the frame rails are in. Although, the fab involved in attaching a pre-formed piece to the floor board at the trans tunnel transition would not be much more work than installing the frame rails IMO.

If it were not for the transmission being in the way, an easy, mass-efficient way to stiffen this mode would be to cross-brace the rails by tying the front end of the left rail to the rear end of the right rail (and vice versa) using the same simple crushed end tubes like those at the k-member and the diff. There is some risk of column bucking I suppose since they would be in effect simply supported, and have a large length to dia ratio. Hell it could even be braced with pre-tensioned cables for that matter, just like the bracing on a string-truss Newtonian telescope tube. Same situation, just tubular instead of planar.
ZX-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:33 PM   #66
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Anacortes, WA
Posts: 2,476
Total Cats: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Tex View Post
If I follow you here, as a chassis engineer/ME albeit for spacecraft, I agree. Put another way, if it were not for the trans tunnel the existing floor board would do a decent job of stiffening the bending mode you describe. Thus, it could be alleviated by closing out the trans tunnel.

I suspect the reason FM did the butterfly brace the way they did is it makes it more of a bolt-in proposition once the frame rails are in. Although, the fab involved in attaching a pre-formed piece to the floor board at the trans tunnel transition would not be much more work than installing the frame rails IMO.

If it were not for the transmission being in the way, an easy, mass-efficient way to stiffen this mode would be to cross-brace the rails by tying the front end of the left rail to the rear end of the right rail (and vice versa) using the same simple crushed end tubes like those at the k-member and the diff. There is some risk of column bucking I suppose since they would be in effect simply supported, and have a large length to dia ratio. Hell it could even be braced with pre-tensioned cables for that matter, just like the bracing on a string-truss Newtonian telescope tube. Same situation, just tubular instead of planar.
Go Park your car on some flat ground takes the roof off or put the top down open both doors and look at it from the side.

Other than the sills, the trans tunnel, and the wimpy so called frame rails it already is a flat plate trough the center of the car. To make it stiffer it needs added section modulus in the vertical direction to reduce vertical bending and torsion. A flat plate structure on the bottom of the car dosnt give section modulus in the correct direction. Spindly tubes replicating the flat plate is harldy better. Door bars do ad a huge amount of vertical section modulus though not as much as a real roof or a cage would. Also Converting the Trans tunnel from an open hat section to a tubular section also would significantly change the section modulus in both vertical bending and especially torsion.

Mazda I think was pretty on track on the Mazdaspeed as seen in the pic but I still think it can be done better.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
door bars are worth every cent-msm-undercarriage.jpg  
bbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #67
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 3,109
Total Cats: 127
Default

That mazdaspeed brace that is right by the cat is freakin heavy just an fyi.
jacob300zx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #68
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Anacortes, WA
Posts: 2,476
Total Cats: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob300zx View Post
That mazdaspeed brace that is right by the cat is freakin heavy just an fyi.
The FM butterfly weighs 32 lbs. I dont know the weight of the mazdaspeed brace but it didnt seem as heavy when I lifted both independantly.

I think there both too heavy. Door bars are lighter and they do more.

Bob
bbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:16 PM   #69
meatbag
iTrader: (50)
 
gospeed81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,357
Total Cats: 26
Default

I love this thread.

I'm convinced I need door bars, and not just due to anectdotal evidence. Bbundy's reasoning makes tons of sense.

I still think they'd work even better if they went all the way to the firewall though.
gospeed81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:25 PM   #70
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bellingham, Wa
Posts: 2,732
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gospeed81 View Post
I love this thread.

I'm convinced I need door bars, and not just due to anectdotal evidence. Bbundy's reasoning makes tons of sense.

I still think they'd work even better if they went all the way to the firewall though.
I've been convinced for a long time and cant wait to incorporate them into my car before next season. I think actually more than track/autox i'm excited to see what a difference this makes in daily duty comfort since my miata is my primary mode of transportation.
wayne_curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:02 PM   #71
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cocoa Beach, FL
Posts: 808
Total Cats: 3
Default

dammit

+1 for door bars added to the wish list.

And I JUST knocked a couple off that list. It's never gonna go down, is it?
TrickerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:03 PM   #72
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,847
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickerZ View Post
dammit

+1 for door bars added to the wish list.

And I JUST knocked a couple off that list. It's never gonna go down, is it?

I've always wanted them...and my 91 chassis is very loose compared to my 93. I've been trying to knock off parts from my list too, it's impossible.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:09 PM   #73
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickerZ View Post
dammit

It's never gonna go down, is it?
Seek medical attention.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:14 PM   #74
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Springfield IL
Posts: 2,750
Total Cats: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbundy View Post
Go Park your car on some flat ground takes the roof off or put the top down open both doors and look at it from the side.

Other than the sills, the trans tunnel, and the wimpy so called frame rails it already is a flat plate trough the center of the car. To make it stiffer it needs added section modulus in the vertical direction to reduce vertical bending and torsion. A flat plate structure on the bottom of the car dosnt give section modulus in the correct direction. Spindly tubes replicating the flat plate is harldy better. Door bars do ad a huge amount of vertical section modulus though not as much as a real roof or a cage would. Also Converting the Trans tunnel from an open hat section to a tubular section also would significantly change the section modulus in both vertical bending and especially torsion.

Mazda I think was pretty on track on the Mazdaspeed as seen in the pic but I still think it can be done better.

Bob


That underbody has more skid plates then a Jeep Rubicon!

I'm not sure how tight Miata's normally are, but I get about an inch of flex front to rear when I jack the car up just infront of the back tire or just behind the front tire as a "door bar car". Doing the same on an Fbody produces around 10 inches of flex.... No joke
chpmnsws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:33 PM   #75
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 3,109
Total Cats: 127
Default

My MSM was super stiff.
jacob300zx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:37 PM   #76
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 1,990
Total Cats: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob300zx View Post
My MSM was super stiff.
Pervert.
kenzo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #77
meatbag
iTrader: (50)
 
gospeed81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,357
Total Cats: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
I've been trying to knock off parts from my list too, it's impossible.
I crossed a LOT of stuff off the list I had made in August.

By the time I transferred over what I hadn't finished and added new stuff it was just as long...a full page.

My wife was laughing her *** off at me...but said she'd help me out by getting me a Hello Kitty steering wheel as a stocking stuffer.

Car sure will be nice when I'm done though.
gospeed81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:55 PM   #78
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gospeed81 View Post
Car sure will be nice when I'm done though.
I know this is probably short-sight, since one's interests and tastes change over time, but does anyone else feel like they will keep their Miata forever? Mine is rust free with a straight body. Motors and parts are plentiful. I don't see any automakers building a similar car that would be within my budget. Within a few years it'll be virtually worthless, so there wouldn't be much point in selling it.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #79
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 3,109
Total Cats: 127
Default

I might sell the one I have but I will always have a miata. Well let me put it this way, I'll always have a cheap sports car...the S2000 is getting cheap. Lets move this discussion to m.net
jacob300zx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:11 PM   #80
meatbag
iTrader: (50)
 
gospeed81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,357
Total Cats: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
does anyone else feel like they will keep their Miata forever?

I'm actually planning on it. I stock backup parts second only to rharris. I've got 3 workable turbos for my oddball setup, and can almost switch straight back to stock.

$150 local jy 1.6Ls keep me happy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
I don't see any automakers building a similar car that would be within my budget.
The ONLY thing I see on the horizon that could possibly lure me away from the Miata is the new Subota/Toybaru FT-86 IIIIFFFF everything they say is true. If they make a lightweight 200+hp rwd $20K sports coupe I'd be in.

But we know how these plans tend to change. If it's based on a Subaru boxster motor I can only imagine the aftermarket support would be great.

Tokyo 2009: Toyota FT-86 Concept Unveiled - egmCarTech
gospeed81 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 57 07-19-2017 05:11 PM
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
My solution for Oiltemp and Oilpressure input into Megasuirt (MS3) Zaphod MEGAsquirt 41 01-24-2016 01:25 PM


Tags
door bars, trackdog racing ftw

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:42 AM.