Give me some input on a decent sub $1000 suspension setup - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain discuss the wondrous effects of boost and your miata...

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-18-2010, 10:51 AM   #21
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Delicious and Moist.
Posts: 26,328
Total Cats: 1,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
**** that stuff looks ghetto... I wouldn't feel comfortable using those.
Personally, I agree with you. A couple of years ago I ordered a set for myself just out of curiosity. The build quality was ok, however regardless of what vehicle model they have listed in the title, they're all universal fit, and include various spacers, rubber donuts, etc., which you're supposed to stack together to make it fit. That part seemed really cheezy to me.

I think I paid around $800 for my current shock absorbers. They're Bilstein HDs that I sent to FCM for custom re-valving. Worth every penny.
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:09 AM   #22
meatbag
iTrader: (50)
 
gospeed81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,357
Total Cats: 26
Default

I agree with both of you...and made a perch that fits over my shocks and has a retainer ring that holds the threaded collar tightly. That and QA1 springs makes those eBay kits full of win.
gospeed81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:52 AM   #23
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,523
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob300zx View Post
Get used bilsteins (200), eBay coilovers for the collars (50), use rear 350's, get front qa1 650's (70), isc top hats rear (100), revalve from Stewart Development (400), sway bars of choice (200), 949racing end links (160), conquer Hustlers mom, profit
This, and/or this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
I think I paid around $800 for my current shock absorbers. They're Bilstein HDs that I sent to FCM for custom re-valving. Worth every penny.
I have the full-boat FCM kit, it was like $1600, but worth it. Add a couple hundred +/- for the RB front bar and 949 end links, forget the rear bar if you want to be able to put down any power coming out of turns.
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:03 PM   #24
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Posts: 2,502
Total Cats: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein View Post
All of the used Flex that I have seen have been between $750 and $950. You have some time until spring so start watching ebay and the FS section here. I bought mine here for $800 shipped, along with a set of FM front and rear sways with Racing Beat endlinks for $100 shipped. Gotta jump on them quick, though.

As far as how they ship stock, 5Kg/mm rear, 7Kg/mm front but you never can be sure unless you check because people can order whatever springs they want from several distributors.

I also ran my car without the rear sway and used the FM front, street or autox. For autox, full hard front, 4 clicks down on the rear. It helped balance out the car and let it rotate with throttle.

If you are doing a stripped track car with 275's you will likely be need to be much higher sprung than mine. Anothe guy that autox'ed a competitive turbo Miata was somewhere around 12k/9k springs. Mine was a DD car.

I won't be running 275's. Most likely 225's on all fours. AutoX will be just a fun thing for me. The suspension setup is definatley going to be geared more towards track use. That's the main thing I'm building the car for. AutoX locally sucks anyways and I just go out to it to have some fun. I use someone elses car for Ntl Tour events.

So If I were to get Koni Race, and the ground control set up... how are the springs that you get with it? Anyone know the lb rating? Would it be an idea to get some more QA1 springs since they are cheap?
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:06 PM   #25
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 3,110
Total Cats: 127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Personally, I agree with you. A couple of years ago I ordered a set for myself just out of curiosity. The build quality was ok, however regardless of what vehicle model they have listed in the title, they're all universal fit, and include various spacers, rubber donuts, etc., which you're supposed to stack together to make it fit. That part seemed really cheezy to me.

I think I paid around $800 for my current shock absorbers. They're Bilstein HDs that I sent to FCM for custom re-valving. Worth every penny.
They slide right on, I don't know whats ghetto about that? I ran the full ebay kit on my MSM in NASA TT. Also Fatcatmotorsports does a great revalve using 70's shock technology, which is fine because the shock is 70's tech. Stewart develpment will provide a superior revalve using modern shims and valves. The guys name is Bernie and he knows his ****.

Last edited by jacob300zx; 01-19-2010 at 02:23 PM.
jacob300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:18 PM   #26
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Near buffalo
Posts: 140
Total Cats: 0
Default

I would go with koni race fronts and koni sport rears and ground controls with 650 front and 375 rears. Then a front sway bar and remove the rear. ISC mounts would be good, or just DIY some NB tophats.

I run a similar setup, but with softer springs since my car weighs less.
mikewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #27
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Near buffalo
Posts: 140
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
I won't be running 275's. Most likely 225's on all fours. AutoX will be just a fun thing for me. The suspension setup is definatley going to be geared more towards track use. That's the main thing I'm building the car for. AutoX locally sucks anyways and I just go out to it to have some fun. I use someone elses car for Ntl Tour events.

So If I were to get Koni Race, and the ground control set up... how are the springs that you get with it? Anyone know the lb rating? Would it be an idea to get some more QA1 springs since they are cheap?
The QA1 springs don't come in 6" length, which is what I would go with. I would just try to pick up some used Eibach ERS (sccaforums classifieds)
mikewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:22 PM   #28
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,523
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewolf View Post
I would go with koni race fronts and koni sport rears and ground controls with 650 front and 375 rears. Then a front sway bar and remove the rear. ISC mounts would be good, or just DIY some NB tophats.

I run a similar setup, but with softer springs since my car weighs less.
This is a decent idea, but I have a question, thinking out loud.

Does anyone think that the droop travel difference between the Race and Sports could create a suspension travel problem when the suspension is unloaded?

What do you figure that setup would cost?
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:35 PM   #29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: buffalo,ny
Posts: 99
Total Cats: 0
Default

alot of good info here, ill be looking into some of the setups you people posted
llink78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:53 AM   #30
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 3,110
Total Cats: 127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby459 View Post
This is a decent idea, but I have a question, thinking out loud.

Does anyone think that the droop travel difference between the Race and Sports could create a suspension travel problem when the suspension is unloaded?

What do you figure that setup would cost?
Sure if you rally
jacob300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:22 AM   #31
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,904
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
I had GC/Bilstein and couldn't get them off the car quick enough to replace with flex. The bilsteins have WAY TOO MUCH REBOUND and will beat the everliving **** out of you on the street. On the track they were okay but the car was pretty twitchy and hard to drive...but I learned a lot from driving on them for so long.

yes, I'm a dick.
my GC/revalved bilsteins feel great. And are actually pretty mild on the street
Pitlab77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #32
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitlab77 View Post
my GC/revalved bilsteins feel great. And are actually pretty mild on the street
I'm either doing this or buying Xida.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:19 AM   #33
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,523
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
I'm either doing this or buying Xida.
And you will either eat caviar or eat alpo afterward.
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #34
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,904
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby459 View Post
And you will either eat caviar or eat alpo afterward.
yes i will eat my caviar with the money left over from buying my properly selected spring rates perfectly matched to the desired valving to support the spring rates at a fraction of the cost.
Pitlab77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #35
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,982
Total Cats: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
I'm either doing this or buying Xida.
I thought you just put on tein flex coilovers. What's up?
miatauser884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:04 PM   #36
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,371
Total Cats: 1,332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
So If I were to get Koni Race, and the ground control set up... how are the springs that you get with it? Anyone know the lb rating?
You specify them when you order. Order 6" 700lb fronts and 7" 450lb rears. Use your OEM rear sway bar and a tubular Racing Beat front bar, the biggest one you can find. Start searching for an MSM rear bar to replace your OE bar. ISC mounts + RACEs are bad news since the car will sit at full droop at static height. With stock NA tophats I have enough bump travel to rub the front tires on the tops of the wheelwells. I'd stick with NA mounts since all the NB/FM/ISC mounts do is trade bump for droop. RACEs have short bodies which already do the same thing. If I want anything on my shocks, it's more droop travel.

IMO, 700/450 RACEs are the best budget coilover on the market. $1400 brand new, tough to find used. Proven fast on the track. This is why it's tough to meet a $1000 budget, even though that's the number everyone picks - by the time you've added sways, endlinks, and a coilover sleeve/spring combo to that $1k budget, you're left with like $400 for shocks.

RACE + 700/450GC + sways + endlinks + ES bushings + alignment = ~$2k. When you're ready to step up, sell the shocks/springs for ~$1100 and order whatever flavor of XIDA your wallet will endure.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #37
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Posts: 2,502
Total Cats: 13
Default

Why do you go with the tubular over the solid? the general consensus so far from my research is to go with the solid. What are you thoughts?

Where did you purchase your RACE's? I've had a hard time tracking them down. If I wanted to go with a cheaper shock to start out with, anything else you could recommend?

So stock tophats all around?
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:30 AM   #38
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,371
Total Cats: 1,332
Default

Tubular is the same rate but lighter, IIRC. You can get the RACEs from Goodwin or send me a PM and I should be able to get them for you as well. There's really not a cheaper shock that will control those rates. I've never had an issue with a lack of bump travel, only a lack of droop, so I'd stick with the NA hats, yeah.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #39
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: south texas
Posts: 1,419
Total Cats: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Tubular is the same rate but lighter, IIRC. You can get the RACEs from Goodwin or send me a PM and I should be able to get them for you as well. There's really not a cheaper shock that will control those rates. I've never had an issue with a lack of bump travel, only a lack of droop, so I'd stick with the NA hats, yeah.
tubular is stiffer. but if your running aftermarket rear bar, you might need the tubular to keep the f/r balance. with the solid i removed my rear beacuse it was too tail happy.
spoolin2bars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:47 PM   #40
Newb
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 34
Total Cats: 0
Default

norcaldrift -> Zankoku is making is own line of COILOVERS!

Better than Teins atleast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob300zx View Post
Sure if you rally
He did say something about hillclimb... and its an issue I had on stock suspension before going to KW's on another car. Just something to consider. (car was frequently driven on dirt... hard)
IDREunos is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 12-15-2017 09:00 PM
WTB MP62 (Hotside) (NB2) Rick02R WTB 3 01-03-2016 08:18 PM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM
Leaky Wilwoods mx592 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 1 10-01-2015 01:45 AM
3rd Time's a Charm...hopefully. zephyrusaurai Meet and Greet 2 09-28-2015 11:59 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:42 PM.