Miata harness bar - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain discuss the wondrous effects of boost and your miata...

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-09-2011, 03:24 AM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 58
Total Cats: 0
Default Miata harness bar

so i have a question i got a hard dog ace single diagonal roll bar with no harness.... and thats the problem i want a harness bar but all the bolt on harness bar from hard dog or boss frog does not fit the ace bar. any body know where i can get one for the ace bar? anybody made any harness bar and is selling it? by the way its a 1991 miata any info will help thank you in advance!
mazdaspeeder86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
Senior Member
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chatsworth, SoCal
Posts: 948
Total Cats: 1
Default

Why dont you call them. Are you planning on goin to the track?

Have a great day,
Jared
Jfornachon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 58
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfornachon View Post
Why dont you call them. Are you planning on goin to the track?

Have a great day,
Jared
ya i called them and they said it wont work with ace bar. and ya im planning to track it because harness in the street is just not safe...
mazdaspeeder86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
Senior Member
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chatsworth, SoCal
Posts: 948
Total Cats: 1
Default

Well, neither is that bar you are planning to use on track.

You might as well sell that bar and buy a propper one. Do your self a favor invest in some proper seats as well.
Jfornachon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:31 AM   #5
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 58
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfornachon View Post
Well, neither is that bar you are planning to use on track.

You might as well sell that bar and buy a propper one. Do your self a favor invest in some proper seats as well.
stay on topic please. if i want to buy a new bar i wouldn't ask for a harness bar in the first place. and how do u know that i dont have proper seats? u know what they say about assuming... dont talk if ur not contributing.
mazdaspeeder86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:06 AM   #6
NB/VVT Connoisseur
iTrader: (23)
 
viperormiata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Key West
Posts: 6,072
Total Cats: 253
Default

I have a brand new harness bar that I ended up not using. You're welcome to PM if you want to take it off of my hands and modify it yourself. I'm sure it wouldn't be too much work and could end up saving you a few bucks in the long run.

Sorry if that doesn't help. Good luck on your search.
viperormiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:13 AM   #7
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,165
Total Cats: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaspeeder86 View Post
stay on topic please. if i want to buy a new bar i wouldn't ask for a harness bar in the first place. and how do u know that i dont have proper seats? u know what they say about assuming... dont talk if ur not contributing.
Don't be so pissy, Jfornachon was just trying to offer some advice. Loose the attitude or you wont last long here.
gearhead_318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:20 AM   #8
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 58
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead_318 View Post
Don't be so pissy, Jfornachon was just trying to offer some advice. Loose the attitude or you wont last long here.
im not being pissy i just speak direct, speak when is necessary i dont like it when ppl dont offer advice and just criticize others. and its LOSE not LOOSE... see i can be a dick wad too.
mazdaspeeder86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:31 AM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,165
Total Cats: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaspeeder86 View Post
im not being pissy i just speak direct, speak when is necessary i dont like it when ppl dont offer advice and just criticize others. and its LOSE not LOOSE... see i can be a dick wad too.
*I'm
**don't
gearhead_318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:38 AM   #10
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 58
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead_318 View Post
*I'm
**don't
too lazy and too dumb is two different things...
mazdaspeeder86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:40 AM   #11
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 58
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperormiata View Post
I have a brand new harness bar that I ended up not using. You're welcome to PM if you want to take it off of my hands and modify it yourself. I'm sure it wouldn't be too much work and could end up saving you a few bucks in the long run.

Sorry if that doesn't help. Good luck on your search.
pm sent thank you
mazdaspeeder86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:37 AM   #12
Senior Member
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chatsworth, SoCal
Posts: 948
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead_318 View Post
Don't be so pissy, Jfornachon was just trying to offer some advice. Loose the attitude or you wont last long here.
Thank you. You cant help stupidity.

Have a great day,
Jared
Jfornachon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:09 AM   #13
Senior Member
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chatsworth, SoCal
Posts: 948
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaspeeder86 View Post
stay on topic please. if i want to buy a new bar i wouldn't ask for a harness bar in the first place. and how do u know that i dont have proper seats? u know what they say about assuming... dont talk if ur not contributing.
Actually they say It makes an *** out of you and me. Don't know who you were talking to. I may not have been helping you but the next person who is dooing research before buying a proper rollbar for the track may read this and do the right thing. It's not always about you.

Any way. Go a head and buy that bar, make it fit install the seats and harnesses. Enjoy the trip to the track and hope you don't have someone like my self who techs your car and knows what to look for. If I saw that bar while I was teching cars I would get the lead inspector and have him make the call. If it was up to me I would send you home without another thought. I would refund your money less cancilation fees. Due to the fact that you showed up the the track with an underprepaired car. In fact I would not want you on track with me or anyone else, because if you did roll. You would take time out of our track day becaues we had to call lifeflight since you thought you were beeing smart and money wise on getting **** to fit.

BTW, I am offering you advice and not just criticizing you. I am criticizing your decisions. You mentioned that harnesses on the street are not safe, and I said neither is that "rollbar" that you plan on using on track.

Take it from me I know that harnesses are not safe on the street nor are fixed back seats (proper seats). I rolled a 2000 4 years ago. The bar that I had was actually designed for the track (boss frog clearview max or what ever its called). The bar had an ever so slight bend in it from the impact. Would I trust your bar in a rollover? Never.

On top of that you called hard dog and they speciffically said that a harness bar would not fit. Then you come here asking about one. There is a reason it wont fit. I am not going to tell you that reason. I will let you spend more money to f&$k around and spend more money than it will cost to sell the bar you have and buy a propper one. One that has a harness bar already. Enjoy NOOB.

Before you go correcting peoples spelling and gramer you may want to get yours in check.

Have a great life,
Jared
Jfornachon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:44 PM   #14
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 58
Total Cats: 0
Default

wow your mad. i bought a m1 and call it a day problem solved somebody close this thread please
mazdaspeeder86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #15
Senior Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 800
Total Cats: 3
Default

[QUOTE=J..... You mentioned that harnesses on the street are not safe, and I said neither is that "rollbar" that you plan on using on track......


Jared[/QUOTE]

I don't want any part of this argument but I'm curious as to why you don't think the ACE is a real rollbar. I know it's low, but if one has the seat to get the requisite 2" under the bar, what is the issue? I'm truly interested in learning here by the way. I put an ACE in my car after selling a Harcore because the damn thing sat too close to my head and my car is a 90+% street machine. I figured my odds of being rear-ended were far higher than the odds of rolling the car.

Both the Hard Core bar and the ACE are

"Constructed of highest quality 1.75 X .120 inch 1026 alloy drawn over mandrel tubing" according to the Bethania website. If your issue is purely with the height, I get it, but it could work in the right circumstances, no?
soloracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #16
Senior Member
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chatsworth, SoCal
Posts: 948
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaspeeder86 View Post
wow your mad. i bought a m1 and call it a day problem solved somebody close this thread please

Not mad, just being direct. Well, I am glad that you took my advice. Would it have been so yard to have said thank you for the advice.

Have a great day,
Jared
Jfornachon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #17
Senior Member
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chatsworth, SoCal
Posts: 948
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloracer View Post
I don't want any part of this argument but I'm curious as to why you don't think the ACE is a real rollbar. I know it's low, but if one has the seat to get the requisite 2" under the bar, what is the issue? I'm truly interested in learning here by the way. I put an ACE in my car after selling a Harcore because the damn thing sat too close to my head and my car is a 90+% street machine. I figured my odds of being rear-ended were far higher than the odds of rolling the car.

Both the Hard Core bar and the ACE are

"Constructed of highest quality 1.75 X .120 inch 1026 alloy drawn over mandrel tubing" according to the Bethania website. If your issue is purely with the height, I get it, but it could work in the right circumstances, no?
Its not that the bar is not able to protect you in a rollover but, you can do better. Look at the way both bars are made. The ace sits well in side of the belt towers. As the others sit right next to the towers. As you stated they also are a little higher. Also the ace is only mounted to the package shelf as the hardcore and the clearview mount lower as well as the belt towers. It's not about the materials that are used. It's about how it's designed that matters. Don't get me wrong the materials do matter.

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/IMG_0089.jpg
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/IMG_0100.jpg

Thease are just some pictures of my accident. When I went over the the windshield came down to the steering wheel. Had I had the ace the injury would have been much worse. Also if I had a seat and harnesses my spine would have been compressed since my body would not have the movement that it did with the factory seat and harness.

If you are going to the track safty is not the place to skimp. Hence why I said what you quoted. Beeing a instructor I don't want to be in a car that has a bar like that one. We have the right now ot go out if we feel it's not safe. If you can't get an instructor to get in your car and its manditory that you have one the guess what. You dont go out.

Have a greata day,
Jared
Jfornachon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #18
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,479
Total Cats: 6
Default

So wait, you're saying a fixed-back seat and harness with rollbar is not safe on the street? What makes that combo safe on the track if it's not safe on the street?
dgmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #19
Senior Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 800
Total Cats: 3
Default

Fair enough. I see your point on the bar being mounted inside the belt towers.

However it does not just mount to the package tray. I installed my Hardcore and my ACE and the rear of the bar mounts in about the same spot on both units. I would never have put the thing in my car if it just mounted to the package tray - that would be a "style bar" and more of a liability than a safety device IMO. The package tray has no strength to speak of.

All that said, I AM looking for a way to get lower in the car. I have a long torso and my head is about even with the top of that bar. However in a rollover I'm not sure how much that really matters unless the bar is MUCH taller than is practical. Your body and belts will likely move enough to put your head on the ground regardless.

I agree though; the track is no place for a safety compromise. However since my car is a street toy, I feel this bar is safer than no bar and given the likelihood of a rollover vs. a rear impact, it's safer than one that is an inch from my head. I know a guy that wrecked a Miata on track in w2w competition and sustained brain damage from smacking his helmeted head on the cage. I'm not interested in that experience.

If I ever build a track **** it will have a taller bar at the very least; most likely a cage.
soloracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #20
Senior Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 800
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmorr View Post
So wait, you're saying a fixed-back seat and harness with rollbar is not safe on the street? What makes that combo safe on the track if it's not safe on the street?
I was trying to get my head around this too. Harness - bar = bad, but I'm not sure why the bar/seat/harness would be bad in one environment and not the other.
soloracer is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prepping my '95 for track asmasm Build Threads 82 05-26-2016 05:37 PM
starting issue Johnny Tater Engine Performance 3 09-23-2015 07:10 PM
1997 Miata Misty_Miata pineda92 Meet and Greet 4 09-20-2015 10:22 PM
1991 Turbo Miata partout tottestad Miata parts for sale/trade 18 09-14-2015 08:52 PM
Project DDoS: '99 "Budget" boost build ProjectDDoS Build Threads 1 09-09-2015 02:52 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:19 PM.