RX8 ring and pinion - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain discuss the wondrous effects of boost and your miata...

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-25-2009, 12:27 PM   #21
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,901
Total Cats: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull113 View Post
WOW is that $500 shipped?
He is kidding.

The best gear ratio depends on what horsepower and tire size you are using. To get the best elapsed time, you want the car to be near peak rpm at the finish line, but not quite. There is a formula that will help you figure out what the best gear is for tire size, rpm and mph. I will try to find it for you later. You will have to do some testing at the track to see what the mph will be. Even if the gear ratio is initially too tall, it will still give you a pretty close estimate of the mph you would have with the right gear ratio.

Most people still make a compromise, and use a taller gear than what is ideal for track conditions, unless of coarse, you have a very fast car that would require a taller gear.
miata2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #22
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lake City, Florida
Posts: 150
Total Cats: -16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Epic fail, lack of comprehensions




Assumtion is the mother of all **** ups.

The NC and Kia R&Ps are known fitments.
Hey asshat explain to me how I can't comprehend when atleast three different websites had info that the rx8 4.44 was the same as the kia,miata,s2000 and a host of others?Kia Sportage S2000 - Final Drive Ratios - Turbo Magazine must be nice to know everything
pitbull113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:36 PM   #23
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lake City, Florida
Posts: 150
Total Cats: -16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata2fast View Post
He is kidding.

The best gear ratio depends on what horsepower and tire size you are using. To get the best elapsed time, you want the car to be near peak rpm at the finish line, but not quite. There is a formula that will help you figure out what the best gear is for tire size, rpm and mph. I will try to find it for you later. You will have to do some testing at the track to see what the mph will be. Even if the gear ratio is initially too tall, it will still give you a pretty close estimate of the mph you would have with the right gear ratio.

Most people still make a compromise, and use a taller gear than what is ideal for track conditions, unless of coarse, you have a very fast car that would require a taller gear.
thanks I knew he was kidding
pitbull113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:51 PM   #24
Ben
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,689
Total Cats: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull113 View Post
Hey asshat explain to me how I can't comprehend when atleast three different websites had info that the rx8 4.44 was the same as the kia,miata,s2000 and a host of others?Kia Sportage S2000 - Final Drive Ratios - Turbo Magazine must be nice to know everything
Yawn. You said this site, as in MT.net. Go back to bed; your boyfriend misses you.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:57 PM   #25
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lake City, Florida
Posts: 150
Total Cats: -16
Default

pitbull113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 01:07 PM   #26
Ben
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,689
Total Cats: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull113 View Post
Cites the first link as the source
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 01:21 PM   #27
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lake City, Florida
Posts: 150
Total Cats: -16
Default

Regardless it's from this site,not that it matters. My first posted stated that I read it on this site which I did from the second link I posted. So I started a thread to see if anyone else had run into the same problem or maybe the person who sold me the r/p sent the wrong one. After I recieved my answer for some reason YOU had to interject all your wisdom with "epic fail". Well this forum is so lucky to have a member like you that contributes so much. **** you very much for all your help Ben and have a merry christmas.
pitbull113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 04:22 PM   #28
Ben
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,689
Total Cats: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull113 View Post
Regardless it's from this site,not that it matters. My first posted stated that I read it on this site which I did from the second link I posted. So I started a thread to see if anyone else had run into the same problem or maybe the person who sold me the r/p sent the wrong one. After I recieved my answer for some reason YOU had to interject all your wisdom with "epic fail". Well this forum is so lucky to have a member like you that contributes so much. **** you very much for all your help Ben and have a merry christmas.
lulz, you are correct on one thing. This is a great forum filled with people who contribute much.

Merry Christmas to you as well sir. You will probably do fine here.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:02 AM   #29
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Posts: 3,908
Total Cats: 0
Default

I heard the RX8 six speed tranny fits perfectly. That should be the next mod to try!
cueball1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:49 AM   #30
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 350
Total Cats: -2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky Bell View Post
Considering all the torque of the turbos, that first gear is not of much use, and the fast cruise mode (west Texas), what final drive ratios do you guys feel would offer the best combo of fun?
For a 5-speed:

A 3.636 really nicely splits second and 3rd compared to a 4.30, which would be super-helpful on the mountain roads around here. Top-gear cruise would be basically the same rpm/mph as my E36, which would quiet things down a lot and be pretty nice.

A 3.636 would also see a fast turbo car reach its top speed on a lot of tracks close to the top of 4th (a few mph slower than top of 5th with a 4.30), which theoretically is more efficient if the 1:1 fourth is really straight through with no loaded gears, and should lead to faster lap times.

A 3.3 approximately just turns every gear into the one above it, so first is second, second is third, etc. Pointless until you get to 5th.

Last edited by SolarYellow510; 12-26-2009 at 02:09 AM.
SolarYellow510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:49 PM   #31
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Delicious and Moist.
Posts: 26,327
Total Cats: 1,926
Default

I wonder what the lowest ratio is that could practically be made to fit into a Miata differential housing is?
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:58 PM   #32
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lake City, Florida
Posts: 150
Total Cats: -16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball1 View Post
I heard the RX8 six speed tranny fits perfectly. That should be the next mod to try!
There sure are alot of comedians on this forum. I guess it pays to have a sense of humor when you drive a girlie car.
pitbull113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #33
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 350
Total Cats: -2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
I wonder what the lowest ratio is that could practically be made to fit into a Miata differential housing is?
At some point, you still have to consider pulling away from a stop, at least if the car's driven on the street. Leaving every stop sign in second is going to work your clutch, and generally be a pain in the ***.
SolarYellow510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #34
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 350
Total Cats: -2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull113 View Post
There sure are alot of comedians on this forum. I guess it pays to have a sense of humor when you drive a girlie car.
The gays officially gave the Miata back to the car dorks five years ago. Told me two gay guys in a Miata is such a bad cliche that no gay guy would drive one. That probably doesn't keep some of them from applying the moped logic once in a while.
SolarYellow510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:15 PM   #35
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lake City, Florida
Posts: 150
Total Cats: -16
Default

crap i have a miata and a moped. maybe i should buy a corvette then i will be mucho macho
pitbull113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #36
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,901
Total Cats: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
I wonder what the lowest ratio is that could practically be made to fit into a Miata differential housing is?

There are gears from Mazdaspeed Motorsports, at least back when I got my gear, that where 5.something:1. Just think what first gear would be like. Farming anyone?
miata2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:51 PM   #37
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lake City, Florida
Posts: 150
Total Cats: -16
Default

mazdaspeed still has 4.11, 4.44, 4.87 and 5.12 in their catalog
pitbull113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #38
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 3,778
Total Cats: 35
Default

Stump-pulling mode, ENGAGE.

I agree with some of the 6-speeders, a 3.3:1 would be excellent.
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:20 PM   #39
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 22
Total Cats: 0
Default

Hey Pitbull, don't worry about the naysayers. Anyone who comes on a forum to flame is just too afraid to do it in real life. A forum is their only outlet.

If it helps at all, your lack of success in fitting the RX8 R&P to an NA diff will help many others. I saw the same info you did, then google'd it, and this thread was one of the first to come up.

As an added bonus, certain naysayers on this thread come across as huge ********. Those who are afraid to try and fail will never progress.
Gibscreen is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
New supertech pistons /wiesco xx rings HHammerly Miata parts for sale/trade 5 10-17-2015 07:53 AM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
1996 Turbo Build Goldwar DIY Turbo Discussion 2 09-29-2015 10:20 AM
H-Beam Rods with ARP 2000 Bolts; Supertech 84.0mm Ring Set, OEM 1.8 Water Pump skou Miata parts for sale/trade 4 09-10-2015 10:44 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:33 AM.