SuperMiata Sway Bar Kit (SBK) - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain discuss the wondrous effects of boost and your miata...

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-28-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,308
Total Cats: 1,326
Default SuperMiata Sway Bar Kit (SBK)

As we ship so many of these parts it seemed a good idea to just offer them as a matched kit and throw in a little discount. So here we have the SuperMiata SBK.

This is the same combination of sway bars used on our well known "rental formula" , our Thunderhill 25 hour winning car and Crusher. Pretty much every car we build gets this same hardware.

The kit includes
  • Front Racing Beat sway bar, Tubular (1)
  • Rear Mazda 14mm sway bar (1)
  • End Links - Front and rear adjustable SuperMiata (4)
  • Front sway bar urethane bushings & brackets (2)
  • Front sway bar brace hardware (2)
  • Rear sway bar urethane bushings (2)

Attached Thumbnails
SuperMiata Sway Bar Kit (SBK)-supermiata_sbk.jpg  

Last edited by emilio700; 06-28-2012 at 03:16 AM.
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:05 AM   #2
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
mr_hyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 799
Total Cats: 25
Default

Is there a physical size difference between 54103 and 54104 besides the wall thickness? In other words, if you set them side by side, could you tell them apart?
mr_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:15 AM   #3
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,308
Total Cats: 1,326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_hyde View Post
Is there a physical size difference between 54103 and 54104 besides the wall thickness? In other words, if you set them side by side, could you tell them apart?
Follow the link to find the answer to your question

Oh and the 104 is an NA bar for double shear while the 103 is an NB bar, single shear. So yes the NA and NB bars have different shapes.
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,105
Total Cats: 518
Default

Is there perhaps a sway bar only package? I imagine there's a few people that already have end links, and I even have the brace hardware. Or is it just easier at that point to buy the two sway bars?
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 409
Total Cats: 17
Default

Great idea. If you'd offered it 3 months ago I would have bought it in a heartbeat, but I've already started gathering up the exact same parts and pieces individually :/
Handy Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,308
Total Cats: 1,326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly View Post
Is there perhaps a sway bar only package? I imagine there's a few people that already have end links, and I even have the brace hardware. Or is it just easier at that point to buy the two sway bars?
Bingo
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
mr_hyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 799
Total Cats: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
Follow the link to find the answer to your question

Oh and the 104 is an NA bar for double shear while the 103 is an NB bar, single shear. So yes the NA and NB bars have different shapes.
My sway made some contact with my shocks. I have since adjusted both sides further up to get the necessary clearance but I was trying to determine if I had the right bar for the application - hence the question about the physical size/shape of the two bars.

My car is quite a compilation of stuff: '90 chassis with NB subframe and NB control arms WITH the extra Racing Beat tab welded on. I wanted to know if the NA6 application was because of the mounting points on the frame or if I should have the NB bar because I have that subframe and control arms... or the NA8 bar because I have two tabs on the control arms. Ouch, my head just
mr_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #8
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Sway bar colors do not match.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,809
Total Cats: 1,780
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
Sway bar colors do not match.
This isn't CR,net.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
mr_hyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 799
Total Cats: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
Sway bar colors do not match.
Didn't notice that. -2whp for bad fashion sense...
mr_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #11
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,809
Total Cats: 1,780
Default

two different brands. all the performance. you guys are getting soft.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,308
Total Cats: 1,326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_hyde View Post
My sway made some contact with my shocks. I have since adjusted both sides further up to get the necessary clearance but I was trying to determine if I had the right bar for the application - hence the question about the physical size/shape of the two bars.

My car is quite a compilation of stuff: '90 chassis with NB subframe and NB control arms WITH the extra Racing Beat tab welded on. I wanted to know if the NA6 application was because of the mounting points on the frame or if I should have the NB bar because I have that subframe and control arms... or the NA8 bar because I have two tabs on the control arms. Ouch, my head just
We have noticed the same thing with the RB bars for the NB. We are working on some hardware that will alleviate that concern but that's many months away.
Simple fix is to grind a bit off the ends of the bar.
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
mr_hyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 799
Total Cats: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
We have noticed the same thing with the RB bars for the NB. We are working on some hardware that will alleviate that concern but that's many months away.
Simple fix is to grind a bit off the ends of the bar.
I did a little of that too. Can you confirm which bar I should have for my exact combination of parts?
mr_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #14
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,353
Total Cats: 1,319
Default

Great idea. I'm pretty sure every single fast California track car runs this combo.

Last edited by Savington; 07-01-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #15
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,308
Total Cats: 1,326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_hyde View Post
I did a little of that too. Can you confirm which bar I should have for my exact combination of parts?
If you like the way it handles, yes.
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #16
Elite Member
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 2,790
Total Cats: 128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
We have noticed the same thing with the RB bars for the NB.
I've been trying to figure out what the hell that "clunking" sound was on hard cornering for like 3 months. That has to be it

Can't wait to bust out the grinder when I get home!
pdexta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:43 AM   #17
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
mr_hyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 799
Total Cats: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_hyde View Post
Can you confirm which bar I should have for my exact combination of parts?
^^ My question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
If you like the way it handles, yes.
Handling is not the question. Which bar should I have with a '90 chassis, '04 subframe/control arms and the extra Racing Beat tab welded on?
mr_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:22 AM   #18
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,308
Total Cats: 1,326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_hyde View Post
^^ My question.

Handling is not the question. Which bar should I have with a '90 chassis, '04 subframe/control arms and the extra Racing Beat tab welded on?
They'll all fit. You're assuming there is only one choice. If it works now, and you like the way the car handles, then you have the right bar.

The difference between the NA and NB bars is only relevant if you are still using stock end inks. I assume you are not, therefore it doesn't matter.
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:14 AM   #19
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
mr_hyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 799
Total Cats: 25
Default

I'm using your endlinks and I like the handling but I had contact with my shocks which prompted my line of questions about the specific size/shape of the various bars and which one is best for my application. I have never had each model swaybar in front of me at the same time to compare. You are much more familiar with the differences so I thought you would have specific details. I apologize if my questions seem to be going in circles.

When I initially installed the sway with the bar level to the ground and no preload in the endlinks, I got contact with my shocks on my first day out. This didn't happen during street testing but on the track under load, there was enough deflection to mark up my shocks. I moved the endlinks up much higher; just below the point where the sway would make contact with the upper control arms and I am no longer gouging my shocks but it seems less 'correct'.

If I were to call today and ask your advice, what swaybar should I buy to use on a '90 chassis with NB subframes and control arms with the added Racing Beat tab and 949 adjustable endlinks?
mr_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:19 AM   #20
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,308
Total Cats: 1,326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_hyde View Post
If I were to call today and ask your advice, what swaybar should I buy to use on a '90 chassis with NB subframes and control arms with the added Racing Beat tab and 949 adjustable endlinks?
Any of them. I would make a suggestion based on the spring rate of the bar (stiffness), not the application since you can run either NA or NB. In general, the NA design as you can see in the pictures of the bars or in your garage, has more room for the shock.

I understand you're pushing for a definitive answer. There isn't one as far as I understand these things. Sorry!
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Garrett Turbo, 1.8 Oil Pan, & Misc. Stuff nbdooey Miata parts for sale/trade 9 08-30-2017 10:50 PM
My solution for Oiltemp and Oilpressure input into Megasuirt (MS3) Zaphod MEGAsquirt 41 01-24-2016 01:25 PM
Noob to Miataturbo from MA JxPhan Meet and Greet 3 10-02-2015 03:17 AM
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump $50 lsc224 Miata parts for sale/trade 2 10-01-2015 10:17 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:21 AM.