Upgrading to Coil on Plugs (all years) COP writeup - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Go Back  Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats. > Beginner's Luck > Useful Saved Posts
Reload this Page >

Upgrading to Coil on Plugs (all years) COP writeup

Useful Saved Posts Useful info, FAQs, anything you don't want to get purged.

Upgrading to Coil on Plugs (all years) COP writeup

Old 11-14-2014, 12:20 PM
  #21  
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: *** BANNED ***
Posts: 9,602
Total Cats: 971
Default

Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
the stock ignition harness had one
Toyota or Mazda?
EO2K is offline  
Old 11-14-2014, 12:24 PM
  #22  
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,328
Total Cats: 83
Default

Originally Posted by EO2K View Post
Toyota or Mazda?
Mazda, or so its been claimed. I didnt pay attention to my stuff when i ripped it out and fucked around with it and at this point my wiring harness is so adulterated that I'll never know. But pictures of caps in stock harnesses have been posted on here.
Leafy is offline  
Old 11-14-2014, 12:31 PM
  #23  
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: *** BANNED ***
Posts: 9,602
Total Cats: 971
Default

I've had 3 NB1 harnesses apart, both ignition/injection and ECU side and I can tell you with pretty solid certainty that there is no cap in the stock harness for 99/00. I also have a pair of NB2 ignition/injection harness and again, no cap. I've also got a complete 04 MSM harness in the garage (literally every wire in the car) and no caps in there either.

I'm not calling you a liar, I'm just saying from my personal experience I've not seen any caps. I'd love someone to prove me wrong.
EO2K is offline  
Old 11-14-2014, 01:10 PM
  #24  
I haz no trubo
iTrader: (2)
 
Oscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bolton, UK
Posts: 3,024
Total Cats: 118
Default



What this be then?
Attached Thumbnails Upgrading to Coil on Plugs (all years) COP writeup-73271d1365784031-connector-witch-hunt-img_0996.jpg  
Oscar is offline  
Old 11-14-2014, 07:06 PM
  #25  
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: *** BANNED ***
Posts: 9,602
Total Cats: 971
Default

Is it actually a cap? It looks to small to be of any use for power drop, but I could see it as some sort of filter to keep ignition noise out of the rest of the harness.
EO2K is offline  
Old 11-15-2014, 07:56 AM
  #26  
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 18,153
Total Cats: 2,166
Default

My '96 does not have that.
sixshooter is offline  
Old 11-15-2014, 09:09 AM
  #27  
I haz no trubo
iTrader: (2)
 
Oscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bolton, UK
Posts: 3,024
Total Cats: 118
Default

Originally Posted by EO2K View Post
Is it actually a cap? It looks to small to be of any use for power drop, but I could see it as some sort of filter to keep ignition noise out of the rest of the harness.
Don't know, was a genuine question
Oscar is offline  
Old 11-15-2014, 11:01 AM
  #28  
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,473
Total Cats: 228
Default

Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Don't know, was a genuine question
Any idea what the wire colors are on the connector? Wiring diagram shows a 'condensor' for 2001+ NB cars that has a 2 wire connector.
bahurd is offline  
Old 11-15-2014, 11:44 AM
  #29  
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,328
Total Cats: 83
Default

Condensor is automotive speak for a capacitor in the ignition system.
Leafy is offline  
Old 11-15-2014, 11:49 AM
  #30  
I haz no trubo
iTrader: (2)
 
Oscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bolton, UK
Posts: 3,024
Total Cats: 118
Default

Originally Posted by bahurd View Post
Any idea what the wire colors are on the connector? Wiring diagram shows a 'condensor' for 2001+ NB cars that has a 2 wire connector.
Diagram says black/white (going to front NBO2) and black/red (ground on right front of engine).
Oscar is offline  
Old 11-15-2014, 04:14 PM
  #31  
Boost Czar
Thread Starter
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 75,547
Total Cats: 2,194
Default

So its a capacitor for the coils. The end. All miatas have it.
Braineack is offline  
Old 11-15-2014, 04:36 PM
  #32  
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (10)
 
Reverant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 5,550
Total Cats: 229
Default

So if they already have one, adding another one will surely make it better?
__________________
Originally Posted by ninerwfo View Post
The “into to megasquirt thread” mentions that the MS3 basic has 5 inputs with built in pull up resistors - and I was just wondering why it would have so many, while the MS3Pro PnP has just 2 (with no pull ups?)
MS Labs: Plug and Play Megasquirt ECUs for ANY 90-05 Miata (NA, NB1, NB2 w/VVT, MSM), including basemaps to get you started ASAP. PM me or email or details.
For support on MS Labs ECUs: Please email, be sure to include the unit's serial number and include a datalog and your current map.
Reverant is offline  
Old 11-15-2014, 04:39 PM
  #33  
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,328
Total Cats: 83
Default

Originally Posted by Reverant View Post
So if they already have one, adding another one will surely make it better?
mine disappeared.
Leafy is offline  
Old 11-23-2014, 03:18 PM
  #34  
Sadfab Union President
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,693
Total Cats: 109
Default

Can you all check my work for me, putting LS2 coils on a 1.6 DIYPNP.

Going to move ECU 2I to the MS Tach out, then splicing white/black at the igniter to the yellow/blue tach wire. If I'm not mistaken, this will drive the tach off the MS without having to run any extra wire. I'm curious if the tach will be more accurate this way, but it's probably the tach itself that makes it inaccurate, right? Either way, if you butcher a igniter to make a PNP solution this should work and be easily reversible.

Then, it's as easy as wiring in batch just like COPS. Reading has lead me to believe it's safe to wire all the coil grounds together. Is it true the signal ground of the coils is for misfire detection only? I guess you could easily use some of the evap purge valve wiring as a new signal ground, but is it worth the trouble, and hacking?

I plan on adding capacitors as documented on the first page, a large cap on the voltage to the coils, and two smaller capacitors on the trigger wires. The wiring diagram I have for my 1.6 does show a capacitor in the mix, and I already have them around so I've nothing to loose.

Here's what I came up with to hold the things in the stock location. At an angle, because the 45deg boot ends are cheapest and I've got more clearance for a reroute if I ever get around to it.

Attached Thumbnails Upgrading to Coil on Plugs (all years) COP writeup-img_20141123_122329_zps12694c10.jpg  
deezums is offline  
Old 11-27-2014, 08:01 AM
  #35  
SADFab Destructive Testing Engineer
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 18,455
Total Cats: 1,619
Default

Originally Posted by deezums View Post
Can you all check my work for me, putting LS2 coils on a 1.6 DIYPNP.

Going to move ECU 2I to the MS Tach out, then splicing white/black at the igniter to the yellow/blue tach wire. If I'm not mistaken, this will drive the tach off the MS without having to run any extra wire. I'm curious if the tach will be more accurate this way, but it's probably the tach itself that makes it inaccurate, right? Either way, if you butcher a igniter to make a PNP solution this should work and be easily reversible.

Then, it's as easy as wiring in batch just like COPS. Reading has lead me to believe it's safe to wire all the coil grounds together. Is it true the signal ground of the coils is for misfire detection only? I guess you could easily use some of the evap purge valve wiring as a new signal ground, but is it worth the trouble, and hacking?

I plan on adding capacitors as documented on the first page, a large cap on the voltage to the coils, and two smaller capacitors on the trigger wires. The wiring diagram I have for my 1.6 does show a capacitor in the mix, and I already have them around so I've nothing to loose.

Here's what I came up with to hold the things in the stock location. At an angle, because the 45deg boot ends are cheapest and I've got more clearance for a reroute if I ever get around to it.

I just switched to coil over plugs and to run the tach all you need to do is splice the black and white wire to the blue and yellow and then put a resistor between -IG and B+ in your diag box.
aidandj is offline  
Old 11-27-2014, 09:44 AM
  #36  
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 18,153
Total Cats: 2,166
Default

Originally Posted by aidandj View Post
I just switched to coil over plugs and to run the tach all you need to do is splice the black and white wire to the blue and yellow and then put a resistor between -IG and B+ in your diag box.
And the resistor was completely unnecessary for my '96 to run the tach but I bought a pack of them anyway because the instructions are so ambiguous. If anyone needs a resistor, I have a five pack from Radio Shack.

The grounds and the signal grounds were paired together. The giant capacitor was the only odd thing that was added to the harness. I'm using a MS1 in wasted spark configuration. I use the stock wires but used the Taylor ends from Summit Racing on the coil side and shortened the high tension leads to match my needs.



I need to take pics of the finished product.
Attached Thumbnails Upgrading to Coil on Plugs (all years) COP writeup-127923d1416432927-sixshooters-slow-torture%25c2%2599-build-thread-forumrunner_20141119_163525.png  
sixshooter is offline  
Old 11-27-2014, 01:42 PM
  #37  
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 18,153
Total Cats: 2,166
Default

Visual aid:

Upgrading to Coil on Plugs (all years) COP writeup-forumrunner_20141127_124030.png



Upgrading to Coil on Plugs (all years) COP writeup-forumrunner_20141127_124102.png
Attached Thumbnails Upgrading to Coil on Plugs (all years) COP writeup-forumrunner_20141127_124047.png   Upgrading to Coil on Plugs (all years) COP writeup-128345d1417110078-upgrading-coil-plugs-all-years-cop-writeup-forumrunner_20141127_124030.png   Upgrading to Coil on Plugs (all years) COP writeup-128347d1417110095-upgrading-coil-plugs-all-years-cop-writeup-forumrunner_20141127_124102.png  

Last edited by sixshooter; 11-27-2014 at 08:08 PM.
sixshooter is offline  
Old 11-27-2014, 06:22 PM
  #38  
SADFab Destructive Testing Engineer
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 18,455
Total Cats: 1,619
Default

I was reading over some wiring diagrams and that make sense. 96-97 (and maybe 94-95 but I don't remember) already have a Tach out pin on the ECU. But the 90-93 tach is connected straight to the coils.

EDIT: Just checked. 94-95 has tach out too.
aidandj is offline  
Old 11-27-2014, 06:26 PM
  #39  
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,328
Total Cats: 83
Default

thats actually the tach in pin on the 94-95.5. it takes the tach signal off the coils to determine if the engine is running or not. yeah, its weird. Without that connected the car will only run for like 10 seconds then stall.
Leafy is offline  
Old 11-27-2014, 06:30 PM
  #40  
SADFab Destructive Testing Engineer
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 18,455
Total Cats: 1,619
Default

Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
thats actually the tach in pin on the 94-95.5. it takes the tach signal off the coils to determine if the engine is running or not. yeah, its weird. Without that connected the car will only run for like 10 seconds then stall.
The one labeled tach out in this diagram?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hwhkvztuco...-ms3x.jpg?dl=0
aidandj is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upgrading to Coil on Plugs (all years) COP writeup


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.