245/45/16 on 16x8? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Wheels and Tires All things related to Miata Wheels and Tires.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NH
Posts: 981
Total Cats: 20
Default 245/45/16 on 16x8?

How would this combo work on a miata? I'm starting to look for a 2nd set of wheels to use for track/auto-x. I'm looking for something I can also drive on the street- I don't want R compounds or slicks just yet. I have a widebody, so there's plenty of room in the fenders.
mighty mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: MONROE CT
Posts: 1,100
Total Cats: 2
Default

Any link to the tires you want to run.
miatamike203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,851
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

I doubt they'll fit up front. and they'll be pushing it in the rear.

We had issues getting 225/50/15s to fit on newbsauce's car. In order to fit them, you could not turn the wheel lock-to-lock. In order to fit them, we had them replaced for 205/50/15s.

I'm running 215/45/16 and they are barely fitting.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NH
Posts: 981
Total Cats: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatamike203 View Post
Any link to the tires you want to run.
one of my choices:
http://www.directbuytire.com/product-p/245870.htm


Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
I doubt they'll fit up front. and they'll be pushing it in the rear.

We had issues getting 225/50/15s to fit on newbsauce's car. In order to fit them, you could not turn the wheel lock-to-lock. In order to fit them, we had them replaced for 205/50/15s.

I'm running 215/45/16 and they are barely fitting.
What were the interference issues you were running into? I have 225/50/15s in the back right now on my current wheels (15x11)
mighty mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,851
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

the 225/50/15 fit in the rear, in the front the were just too large. the tire hit all the front facia support stuff, and the other side would wedge up to the fender wall.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #6
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3
Total Cats: 0
Default

I am running 245 35 16 on 16 x 8 enkie on my msm and have no problems with them rubbing. I don't know if the 45 series would be that much taller
ec62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #7
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,851
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

a diameter of 22.8in vs. 24.7in. That's significant.

I'm at 23.6 diameter and it's pretty extreme



they rubbed the upper fender, had to bend back the tabs that hold the liner in place.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
Senior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jax, Fl
Posts: 907
Total Cats: 0
Default

Buddy of mine has 16.8 +20 245/45/16 on his widebody 99 and hasn't had any rubbing issues since he put coilovers on his car
johnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:55 PM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,831
Total Cats: 0
Default

mighty mouse, your running the AWR widebody kit right? give FM a call to talk to them about the green car thats advertised on their site (its running an 18" wheel all around. that could be a start to figuring out the limits of what can be ran on your car.

I just put my Tuckin 99s on my car and will be running 16x10 with 265s in the rear, 16x9s in the front but i havnt figured out the tires for the front yet. i should have room to play with cause most of my original body is gone and the front fascia mounts/supports (whatever they are called are gone)
WonTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #10
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NH
Posts: 981
Total Cats: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonTon View Post
mighty mouse, your running the AWR widebody kit right? give FM a call to talk to them about the green car thats advertised on their site (its running an 18" wheel all around. that could be a start to figuring out the limits of what can be ran on your car.

I just put my Tuckin 99s on my car and will be running 16x10 with 265s in the rear, 16x9s in the front but i havnt figured out the tires for the front yet. i should have room to play with cause most of my original body is gone and the front fascia mounts/supports (whatever they are called are gone)
Yes I am. That's a good point, I'll have to give them a ring.
mighty mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:29 AM   #11
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 14
Total Cats: 0
Default

just go with 225
c41250n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:46 AM   #12
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
rccote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 1,595
Total Cats: 17
Default

fwiw, danscreations ran a 16x9.5 wheel with a 245/35/16 tire without flares.

https://www.miataturbo.net/cars-sale-trade-6/1990-mazda-miata-%246500-00-a-51835/
rccote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #13
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NH
Posts: 981
Total Cats: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccote View Post
fwiw, danscreations ran a 16x9.5 wheel with a 245/35/16 tire without flares.

https://www.miataturbo.net/showthread.php?t=51835
yeah I saw that, thanks though.
mighty mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
“Thunder” – a big turbo and 405rwhp nickt93 Build Threads 41 03-25-2012 11:43 AM
Low & Wide corndogs Media 21 03-29-2010 09:23 PM
My hemorrhoids are acting up... MadMan ll General Miata Chat 34 09-21-2009 12:54 PM
tires for sportmax 002's? XxGoKoUxX General Miata Chat 11 11-30-2007 04:29 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:35 AM.