Wheels and Tires All things related to Miata Wheels and Tires.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BFG Rival-S : Game changer

 
Old 05-26-2015, 03:54 PM
  #1  
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,097
Total Cats: 1,801
Default BFG Rival-S : Game changer

The new 200TW Rival-S and RE71R are faster than any 100TW R compound tires and likely faster wearing too. Only a little slower than R6's. Just got back from a SuperMiata and Miata Challenge weekend at Spring Mountain in NV, 3.14 mile config. Real eye opener. Took a few passengers out. A few were shocked when I told them we were on street tires. Yeah, 1.5g on street tires. Not a detailed or controlled test mind you, just doing some rough comparisons with a few controls. Same day, a good friend tested RE71R's against R6's that were .25" wider. I think the delta there was 1.5s, so closer to 1.1s on a typical 2.5mile circuit.

I don't know what NASA will do with them but for a short while, some enterprising PT/TT competitors can steal all the milkshakes.

This about 1.25hrs track time, 2350#, 160whp Miata, 3.14 mile road course, 75° ambient, 98° track temps

__________________


www.facebook.com/SuperMiata

949RACING.COM Home of the 6UL wheel

.27 SNR
emilio700 is offline  
Old 05-26-2015, 04:31 PM
  #2  
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Laguna Hills, CA
Posts: 7,178
Total Cats: 604
Default

That looks like a LOT of wear, particularly in that center section, for so little track time. Am I seeing that right?

How much more track time do you think they'd last at that current rate/pace/car?
turbofan is offline  
Old 05-26-2015, 04:39 PM
  #3  
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (1)
 
OGRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,797
Total Cats: 31
Default

what was the feedback like at the limit? the old ones felt numb to me...
__________________
OG Racing
Your Source For Motorsports Safety Equipment
WWW.OGRACING.COM
800.934.9112
703.430.3303
[email protected]
Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
Hopefully so, but let's hope it's never necessary. Experiencing your safety gear in action is ... not optimal.
OGRacing is offline  
Old 05-26-2015, 05:22 PM
  #4  
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 6,174
Total Cats: 656
Default

Any tread splices?
hornetball is offline  
Old 05-26-2015, 05:31 PM
  #5  
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,097
Total Cats: 1,801
Default

Originally Posted by turbofan View Post
That looks like a LOT of wear, particularly in that center section, for so little track time. Am I seeing that right?

How much more track time do you think they'd last at that current rate/pace/car?
Yup, lots wear IMO. With setup optimized for these tire on this particular day, I'd guess 2-3hrs total life. Old Rivals would probably go 4+ hrs under the same conditions.


Originally Posted by OGRacing View Post
what was the feedback like at the limit? the old ones felt numb to me...
Still dull. Somewhat better braking feedback

Originally Posted by hornetball View Post
Any tread splices?
None observed
__________________


www.facebook.com/SuperMiata

949RACING.COM Home of the 6UL wheel

.27 SNR
emilio700 is offline  
Old 05-26-2015, 05:40 PM
  #6  
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (1)
 
OGRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,797
Total Cats: 31
Default

Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post


Still dull. Somewhat better braking feedback
d
dang. the rs3's fit my driving style better because the feedback is better... but it's hard to argue with 1.5G
__________________
OG Racing
Your Source For Motorsports Safety Equipment
WWW.OGRACING.COM
800.934.9112
703.430.3303
[email protected]
Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
Hopefully so, but let's hope it's never necessary. Experiencing your safety gear in action is ... not optimal.
OGRacing is offline  
Old 05-26-2015, 06:12 PM
  #7  
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 1,524
Total Cats: 403
Default

What tire pressures are you running in them Emilio?
99mx5 is offline  
Old 05-26-2015, 06:38 PM
  #8  
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 15,296
Total Cats: 2,005
Default

Originally Posted by 99mx5 View Post
What tire pressures are you running in them Emilio?
__________________
Trackspeed Engineering
High-Performance Turbo Specialists - Sunnyvale, CA - 650-701-7223 - Email us!
Originally Posted by codrus View Post
Basically I've come over to the camp of "If something is a reliability problem on the track, just ask Andrew and do what he says".
Savington is offline  
Old 05-26-2015, 06:40 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,093
Total Cats: 372
Default

Wow.
And to think how amazed I was by my regular 225 rivals this weekend at Gingerman, sustaining ~1.25 with peaks at 1.35.
Cant wait to wear these out...


Fingers crossed for a 225/45 RE71R?
doward is offline  
Old 05-26-2015, 06:44 PM
  #10  
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,086
Total Cats: 902
Default

The Rival S was designed for autocross, I'd expect it to be much like A6 vs R6 in terms of characteristics against the standard Rival. If that's the case, likely it's a 3-lap time attack tire for those classes that run 200tw. It will cause some upsets.

-Ryan
__________________
Ryan Passey
ThePass is offline  
Old 05-26-2015, 08:44 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 946
Total Cats: -256
Default

What's the original tread depth?
wannafbody is offline  
Old 05-26-2015, 08:45 PM
  #12  
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cromwell, Connecticut
Posts: 2,558
Total Cats: 11
Default

Well ****, I was days away from ordering these mounted on some wheels from Phil's for the wifes NB. . . Now I might reconsider. It's mostly a street/autox car and she is very much a track novice. Honestly I am still trying to talk her into taking my yr old rivals and giving me the new tires because I hate how my rivals feel.

Phil why don't you sell RS3's ?!
240_to_miata is offline  
Old 05-26-2015, 10:52 PM
  #13  
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,368
Total Cats: 85
Default

You got 1.5 hours out of them? Damn, I heard those normally cord in the UPS truck on your way to you, and if they dont the mounting machine brings them to the cords.

In all serousness, the rival-s are designed to be auto-x tires, and more specifically they're designed to work on a rubbered in lincoln air park.
Leafy is offline  
Old 05-27-2015, 11:09 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 820
Total Cats: 68
Default

Did they overheat easily?

I got 10 track days out of my old rivals- even if these last 1/2 as long it might be worth it since they are pretty much hoosier fast and you can drive to the track on them.
dcamp2 is offline  
Old 05-27-2015, 11:16 AM
  #15  
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (1)
 
OGRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,797
Total Cats: 31
Default

Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
You got 1.5 hours out of them? Damn, I heard those normally cord in the UPS truck on your way to you, and if they dont the mounting machine brings them to the cords.

In all serousness, the rival-s are designed to be auto-x tires, and more specifically they're designed to work on a rubbered in lincoln air park.
as long as the thread doesn't splice like the old ones.
__________________
OG Racing
Your Source For Motorsports Safety Equipment
WWW.OGRACING.COM
800.934.9112
703.430.3303
[email protected]
Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
Hopefully so, but let's hope it's never necessary. Experiencing your safety gear in action is ... not optimal.
OGRacing is offline  
Old 05-27-2015, 06:45 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hollywood, FL
Posts: 648
Total Cats: 63
Default

Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
In all serousness, the rival-s are designed to be auto-x tires, and more specifically they're designed to work on a rubbered in lincoln air park.
In all seriousness there isn't supposed to be a street tire specifically designed for autox and definitely not one designed for rubbered up Lincoln. That totally defeats the intent of going to "street" tires in Solo to please all the whiny little bitches that kept arguing that Stock classes were too expensive because they had to have DOT R compounds and then have to tow or trailer the tires to events and then had to change them.

Of course they failed to mention that even after doing that the local hot shoe who couldn't even trophy at National Tours still put five seconds on them in the same car/class. But whatever, /rant.

One thing is for sure, these tire companies are pumping these things out at a quick pace of outdoing each other. And they are also reasonably priced, at least in narrower sizes like STX, STS. I can't believe the target audience is Solo. Seems like a lot of work to win over the "Special Olympic's" of auto racing.

Me, I'm just dreading the day that the **** declares 200twr tires mandatory. Seems like the only logical conclusion that all "Street" named classes will follow. What tire manufacturer in their right mind is going to make a 275/35/15. I guess the NC will reign CSP.
hector is offline  
Old 05-27-2015, 06:49 PM
  #17  
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,368
Total Cats: 85
Default

Originally Posted by hector View Post
In all seriousness there isn't supposed to be a street tire specifically designed for autox and definitely not one designed for rubbered up Lincoln. That totally defeats the intent of going to "street" tires in Solo to please all the whiny little bitches that kept arguing that Stock classes were too expensive because they had to have DOT R compounds and then have to tow or trailer the tires to events and then had to change them.

Of course they failed to mention that even after doing that the local hot shoe who couldn't even trophy at National Tours still put five seconds on them in the same car/class. But whatever, /rant.

One thing is for sure, these tire companies are pumping these things out at a quick pace of outdoing each other. And they are also reasonably priced, at least in narrower sizes like STX, STS. I can't believe the target audience is Solo. Seems like a lot of work to win over the "Special Olympic's" of auto racing.

Me, I'm just dreading the day that the **** declares 200twr tires mandatory. Seems like the only logical conclusion that all "Street" named classes will follow. What tire manufacturer in their right mind is going to make a 275/35/15. I guess the NC will reign CSP.
Sam I didnt realize you posted on miata boards, has Stranoparts started selling miata bits?
Leafy is offline  
Old 05-27-2015, 06:52 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hollywood, FL
Posts: 648
Total Cats: 63
Default

Yep, I can fit in Miatas now that 200twr street tires perform better than DOT R's!

Sammy
hector is offline  
Old 05-27-2015, 07:10 PM
  #19  
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 6,174
Total Cats: 656
Default

Originally Posted by hector View Post
Seems like a lot of work to win over the "Special Olympic's" of auto racing.


Had to prop that. Leafy?
hornetball is offline  
Old 05-27-2015, 07:11 PM
  #20  
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,368
Total Cats: 85
Default

Originally Posted by hornetball View Post


Had to prop that. Leafy?
Sorry I was having too much fun making fun of the sam strano esque anti-street tire rant.
Leafy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BFG Rival-S : Game changer


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.