Toyo's new Proxes RR - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Wheels and Tires All things related to Miata Wheels and Tires.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,889
Total Cats: 28
Default Toyo's new Proxes RR

Toyo is releasing a new Proxes "RR" which is reportedly going to be NASA's Spec Miata tire for the 2013 season. It is going to be available in:
205/50ZR15 (awwww how cute).
225/50ZR15 (too bad it is not a 45).
275/35ZR18 (not that it matters to us).

From Toyo
Quote:
The Proxes RR is a DOT competition tire designed for dry tracks. With consistent lap times and predictable handling, it is ideal for NASA and SCCAŽ road racing, track days and high-performance driving schools. The symmetric 2-groove tread design and special tread compound provide a maximum contact patch and ultimate dry traction with superior cornering force.It comes off the shelf in race-ready condition with a 4/32nds depth tread – no shaving required.
Proxes RR | Toyo Tires

Discuss...
ZX-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,192
Total Cats: 2,583
Default

Will it work on my daily?

I keed I keed
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

No 225, no care.

Where is my Maxxis tire?
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central, TX / Bay area, CA
Posts: 1,272
Total Cats: 3
Default

Seems like a lot of new tires have been promised but nothing is happening.
Gotpsi? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
Elite Member
iTrader: (41)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seabrook, TX
Posts: 2,409
Total Cats: 19
Default

I really wish SM would quit changing the spec tire. Fingers crossed these are better than the R888
rharris19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
Ben
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,689
Total Cats: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Tex View Post
It is going to be available in:
205/50ZR15 (awwww how cute).
225/50ZR15 (too bad it is not a 45).
275/35ZR18 (not that it matters to us).
Major

Whycome no 225/45?
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rharris19 View Post
I really wish SM would quit changing the spec tire. Fingers crossed these are better than the R888
I'm sticking with NT-01 until a tire comes out that's cost effective and make similar or better grip. I think the NT-01 will be around for a while.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,889
Total Cats: 28
Default

It should have more grip than a NT-01 but will not wear as long. It looks like it is going to fit into the Z214 category. The hype is more grip and better wear than a R888, and longer life than a Z214 but that all remains to be seen.
ZX-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,889
Total Cats: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
No 225, no care.
Ahem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Tex View Post
It is going to be available in:
205/50ZR15 (awwww how cute).
225/50ZR15 (too bad it is not a 45).
275/35ZR18 (not that it matters to us).
ZX-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:11 AM   #10
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 1,125
Total Cats: 41
Default

While it's not the news we hoped for it is still good news. I spoke to guys who beta tested the tire and loved it. I heard Hoosier R6 grip with RA1 heat cycles.

Toyo will continue to roll out more sizes in the upcoming months. If all goes well the 225/45/15 & 245/40/15 are up next.

Last edited by k24madness; 09-30-2012 at 03:25 PM.
k24madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:27 AM   #11
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k24madness View Post
While it's the news we hoped for it is still good news. I spoke to guys who beta tested the tire and loved it. I heard Hoosier R6 grip with RA1 heat cycles.

Toyo will continue to roll out more sizes in the upcoming months. If all goes well the 225/45/15 & 245/40/15 are up next.
If it wears well, this could be really cool. I have enough room in the NASA TTC point structure to run this tire and aero while in TTC.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #12
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,889
Total Cats: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k24madness View Post
While it's the news we hoped for it is still good news. I spoke to guys who beta tested the tire and loved it. I heard Hoosier R6 grip with RA1 heat cycles.
Excellent. That is consistent with what I have read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k24madness View Post
Toyo will continue to roll out more sizes in the upcoming months. If all goes well the 225/45/15 & 245/40/15 are up next.
I was hoping for this, and would expect more sizes later given the limited choices. Where did you hear about the 245? This tire, in a 245, would be fantastico for my car in the NASA class I am running in.
ZX-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #13
Senior Member
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: bay area, ca
Posts: 551
Total Cats: 19
Default

I'm about ready to give up waiting for a 245 with the right diameter and mount 225 nt01s on 15x10s. The hoosier 245/580r15 slicks are amazing, but the track budget doesn't support blowing $1200 on tires every few days.
orion4096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 328
Total Cats: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Tex View Post
205/50ZR15 (awwww how cute).
Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
I'm sticking with NT-01 until a tire comes out that's cost effective and make similar or better grip.
Point to ponder:

Didn't Emilio just Crusher the competition and set a new lap record at Mid-Ohio on Hoosier A6's in 205/50-15? Since that's the Spec Miata tire (well, R6), you can obtain them for $166 each.

Cute? Yes.
Cost effective? If you like winning.

Last edited by Double O 86; 09-28-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Double O 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #15
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double O 86 View Post
Point to ponder:

Didn't Emilio just Crusher the competition and set a new lap record at Mid-Ohio on Hoosier A6's in 205/50-15? Since that's the Spec Miata tire (well, R6), you can obtain them for $166 each.

Cute? Yes.
Cost effective? If you like winning.
I don't have wheels for that ****. I want long-wear too.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #16
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 1,125
Total Cats: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Tex View Post

I was hoping for this, and would expect more sizes later given the limited choices. Where did you hear about the 245? This tire, in a 245, would be fantastico for my car in the NASA class I am running in.
No solid word. Toyo has been amazingly tight lipped even with guys that have pull and inside connections.

The best intel I got is that Toyo plans to make a race tire in a 205/225/245 15" configuration. I thought at first it would be the RS1 slick. Looks more like it will be this RR. It makes sense to release the sizes they did and wait for some more feedback before jumping both feet in. The R888's were not well received so they are likely more timid this time around.
k24madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #17
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,889
Total Cats: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double O 86 View Post
Point to ponder:

Didn't Emilio just Crusher the competition and set a new lap record at Mid-Ohio on Hoosier A6's in 205/50-15? Since that's the Spec Miata tire (well, R6), you can obtain them for $166 each.

Cute? Yes.
Cost effective? If you like winning.
Point to ponder (for me)... Crusher has about 50% of the RWHP I do. For others running lower power motors, yes, it would make sense.
ZX-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #18
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Just get A6 and then complain that all sessions should be 3-laps long.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aliso Viejo, CA
Posts: 799
Total Cats: 175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k24madness View Post
No solid word. Toyo has been amazingly tight lipped even with guys that have pull and inside connections.

The best intel I got is that Toyo plans to make a race tire in a 205/225/245 15" configuration. I thought at first it would be the RS1 slick. Looks more like it will be this RR. It makes sense to release the sizes they did and wait for some more feedback before jumping both feet in. The R888's were not well received so they are likely more timid this time around.
I asked Carl(Toyo UHP and Racing Tire Sales Manager for the S.E. US) today if there were plans for a 225 or 245 width 15" application of either the RR or Rs1 and he denied it. So either they are being extremely tight lipped or may not actually go through with it. Maybe Nitto will have a new generation of tires on the way.
doward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #20
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Every 3rd Miata at any race in the country is running on 225/45/15. I don't see why anyone would not introduce this size.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brand new RA1s and R1Rs whitena Miata parts for sale/trade 25 03-07-2017 08:03 PM
TTE Build - Help me pick tires chrisn Race Prep 27 10-16-2015 06:12 PM
Hey everyone another n00b here Big_gumby Meet and Greet 80 10-05-2015 05:06 PM
195/45/15 toyo proxes papo Miata parts for sale/trade 0 05-19-2009 03:34 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:26 AM.