turn the knob up to 15X11 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Wheels and Tires All things related to Miata Wheels and Tires.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-24-2014, 01:34 AM   #1
Elite Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Anacortes, WA
Posts: 2,475
Total Cats: 114
Default turn the **** up to 15X11

I turned it up to 11. 15X11 with ¾” offset Keizer Billets. Weigh ~14.2 LB. 275/35/15 Hoosier A6.

The rear pretty much fits as well as a 15X10” the front is a bit tight. 2.25” springs are needed I think and I offset the shock tops inboard by ¼” to cure too much interference between the spring and the rim when turning.

First test pretty much confirmed for me the 275’s like 11” wheels. The traction limit behavior is much improved. Same amazing feel I had with the 245’s mounted on 10” I crushed overall top time and top PAX at a couple regional autocross events with them now. Pressure can be run about 4 psi lower contact patch stays flatter and it’s just easier to transition to and drive at the limits of traction.
Attached Thumbnails
turn the knob up to 15X11-20140416_213544-1200x900-.jpg   turn the knob up to 15X11-20140416_213035-1200x900-.jpg   turn the knob up to 15X11-20140416_213116-1200x900-.jpg   turn the knob up to 15X11-20140415_203312-1200x900-.jpg   turn the knob up to 15X11-20140418_191032-1200x900-.jpg  

turn the knob up to 15X11-20140418_191128-1200x900-.jpg   turn the knob up to 15X11-20140518_134600-1200x900-.jpg   turn the knob up to 15X11-20140521_214731-1200x900-.jpg   turn the knob up to 15X11-20140521_214757-1200x900-.jpg   turn the knob up to 15X11-20140521_215029-1200x900-.jpg  

bbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:52 AM   #2
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 491
Total Cats: 39
Default

That is simply amazing...is that a chicken in that one photo?
Lincoln Logs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:14 AM   #3
Elite Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Anacortes, WA
Posts: 2,475
Total Cats: 114
Default

yea I let the chickens out to free range.
bbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:15 AM   #4
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,163
Total Cats: 2,573
Default

that is a serious machine

i don't think I've seen too many pictures of your car/setup.

kinda surprised not to see a full roll cage or at least a roll bar on there.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:29 AM   #5
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
Posts: 4,480
Total Cats: 3
Default

This is ****! How much did the wheels cost if you don't mind sharing?
UrbanSoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:25 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Searcy, AR
Posts: 149
Total Cats: -2
Default

Coming soon to 275s everywhere...
FrankL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #7
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokomis View Post
That is simply amazing...is that a chicken in that one photo?
Of course, it wouldn't be MiataTurbo without a picture of your **** out next to your Miata.
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:26 PM   #8
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,868
Total Cats: 66
Default



I wants to co-drive your car, Bob!!!
Doppelgänger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:43 PM   #9
Elite Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Anacortes, WA
Posts: 2,475
Total Cats: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
that is a serious machine

i don't think I've seen too many pictures of your car/setup.

kinda surprised not to see a full roll cage or at least a roll bar on there.
I have it convertible between Autocross and track setup. It’s got welded in landing plates for Hard core roll bar and door bars which help make install faster.

For autocross I have it within 10-20lbs of minimum class weight which is 2080lbs for me. For track I add about 150 lb's of stuff. Which takes 3 about hours.

1) Hard dog Hard Core
2) Harness bar
3) Door bars
4) Custom Front shock tower brace
5) Custom Rear subframe brace
6) Accusump
7) Rear Sway Bar
8) Rear wing swapped
9) Shorter Front Splitter/ undertray

For NASA TT2 time trials I run 245/40/15 to take advantage of the HP/weight advantage for 245 and under DOT tires. I also run lower boost to stay just within the HP/weight rule for TT2 class. I can make about 330 Hp or I have to add more weight. Car actually is more reliable on the track with lower boost which is nice. The car is kind of heavy with me in it in track trim compared to some of the other track beasts around the country but it seems to work well. Kind of odd for a Miata but against my current regional competition in time trials I have more HP/weight and lower grip than the BMW's and Porsches running in class on full on race slicks. I am the muscle car.
bbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #10
Elite Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Anacortes, WA
Posts: 2,475
Total Cats: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post


I wants to co-drive your car, Bob!!!
I have a Co-driver. I'm finding once I let people drive my car it works just like crack and I can extract all sorts of stuff like tires, entry fees, and gas.

Your up in this region of the world now. come to Packwood. Saturday June 28th is northwest region SCCA open practice. I don't plan on doing any of the Oregon region events there though just Northwest Region and the VCMC stuff in Canada. Between that a hand full off TTS and Laguna I have a full enough schedule.
bbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:06 PM   #11
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,868
Total Cats: 66
Default

I should be there. My car has been down since Jan and is about to be running again, so hopefully I'll be able to get back into events...if I can find the extra cash for a set of wheels/tires. Unfortunately Im still on the stock torsen, and as I found out chasing you around at the FM Summer Camp...I can reach its limits too easily :(
Doppelgänger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #12
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,163
Total Cats: 2,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbundy View Post
I have it convertible between Autocross and track setup. It’s got welded in landing plates for Hard core roll bar and door bars which help make install faster.

For autocross I have it within 10-20lbs of minimum class weight which is 2080lbs for me. For track I add about 150 lb's of stuff. Which takes 3 about hours.

1) Hard dog Hard Core
2) Harness bar
3) Door bars
4) Custom Front shock tower brace
5) Custom Rear subframe brace
6) Accusump
7) Rear Sway Bar
8) Rear wing swapped
9) Shorter Front Splitter/ undertray

For NASA TT2 time trials I run 245/40/15 to take advantage of the HP/weight advantage for 245 and under DOT tires. I also run lower boost to stay just within the HP/weight rule for TT2 class. I can make about 330 Hp or I have to add more weight. Car actually is more reliable on the track with lower boost which is nice. The car is kind of heavy with me in it in track trim compared to some of the other track beasts around the country but it seems to work well. Kind of odd for a Miata but against my current regional competition in time trials I have more HP/weight and lower grip than the BMW's and Porsches running in class on full on race slicks. I am the muscle car.
Very very cool. Thanks for the break down.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:26 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Searcy, AR
Posts: 149
Total Cats: -2
Default

By the way, car looks great! Any plans for nationals in Lincoln?
FrankL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:11 PM   #14
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,091
Total Cats: 90
Default

So is it faster. Did you test back to back? Making the car 2 inches wider costs a good bit of time.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:14 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Searcy, AR
Posts: 149
Total Cats: -2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
So is it faster. Did you test back to back? Making the car 2 inches wider costs a good bit of time.
How do you know? Have you tested that?
FrankL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:15 PM   #16
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,091
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankL View Post
How do you know? Have you tested that?
Math says it is.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:19 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Searcy, AR
Posts: 149
Total Cats: -2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Math says it is.
Do you run your 275s on 8s or 9s so your car is narrower?
FrankL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #18
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,091
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankL View Post
Do you run your 275s on 8s or 9s so your car is narrower?
No because testing has shown that even though the car is wider its still faster. Hence why I asked if it was actually tested.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Searcy, AR
Posts: 149
Total Cats: -2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
No because testing has shown that even though the car is wider its still faster.
FrankL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:17 PM   #20
Elite Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Anacortes, WA
Posts: 2,475
Total Cats: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
So is it faster. Did you test back to back? Making the car 2 inches wider costs a good bit of time.
Its not 2" wider really same offset within a millimeter and tire width is the same as I was running with the 10" wheels.

Pictures with the tires stacked are comparing 10" vs 11" mounting.

Last edited by bbundy; 05-24-2014 at 07:28 PM.
bbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buzzing from driver side of engine bay? (MS3 install) nick470 MEGAsquirt 7 06-16-2017 02:53 PM
15x10 - 15x11 6UL @ 949 Racing emilio700 Wheels and Tires 151 06-02-2017 03:36 PM
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump $50 lsc224 Miata parts for sale/trade 2 10-01-2015 10:17 AM
Recommended Tire Temp for best friction thumpetto007 Race Prep 4 09-27-2015 06:16 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:27 PM.