Made some progress yesterday. Since I'm waiting on some parts to come in, I took care of some little detail stuff that I felt was necessary. The parts I did have were sexy but one of them didn't match...
The cast finish on the turbo wasn't doing it for me so I started to level it out for polishing. I'd like to end up with a decent mix of polished and black finished pieces under the hood.
Then I figured why not take some of the bs casting marks and lettering.. So I proceeded to grind those away using an aluminum bit on my die grinder.
I felt like it was a shame to get rid of the "GARRETT" name but it just didn't look clean enough to me at this point.
I stopped and left "ARR" to add some humor to the job. I think it's appropriate for the build.
After the heavy cutting was done with the aluminum bit and a number of sanding discs I moved on to a 220 grit wet sandpaper by hand. The polish by hand was getting to be a real pain so I made my own out of folded paper towel and an old sock zip tied around an old sanding disc.
Shes not finished but it's coming along really well.. ARR...
On the Engine-removal side of things, I stopped to test fit my beautiful BEGi intake manifold. Looks like everything is about right here. They tapped the NPT fittings on the bottom side to keep everything looking clean and it certainly does..
I tossed the car up as high as I could achieve on jack stands to make the removal easy.
Shes naked and ready to come out. I'd have pulled it already but a friend of mine borrowed my cherry picker so I'm held up at this point.
At a stand still on the engine removal, I pulled the valve cover and started to prep it for the -8AN lines I'll be using on my new breather setup. I flipped it and removed the baffles.
Then drilled it and tapped it for my 3/8 NPT to 8AN adapters.
I also enlarged the internal passage for more bandwidth.
Cleaned up and I was out for the night. I'll be back tonight to pull the engine.