Progress on the harness has lead me to the Ignition Coils. Iíve decided to ditch the Wasted Spark setup for the Coil On Plug conversion. The Wasted Spark was not giving me any problems that I was aware of but Iíd rather cover my bases while Iím building this new harness. I knew it would eventually happen so it might as well be now.
First step was to find a coil on plug that would fit. I didnít want to go the route of the Toyota COP, although popular and Iím sure it will perform quite well I just wanted something cleaner. The CBR 1000RR coils have been popular in some very high horsepower builds on other vehicles and I can get a set of them very affordably.
You can get the CBR 1000RR coils or AEM actually has a very similar setup with their Long Pencil Style Coil PN: 30-2851
This coil from the seat to the plug measures about 122mm and the CBR setup measures the same. From the valve cover to the top of the plug measures 120mm so this should be a perfect fit.
Here is a picture of someone who mounted these in the Miata already.
To make these ďDumbĒ or two wire coils fire so Iíll need a Coil Driver or an Ignition Module. AEMís 4 Channel Coil Driver is perfect for the job. PN: 30-2840
Luckily Ė AEM also sells the harness connectors that just so happen to fit the CBR 1000RR coil on plug setup so I ordered these up too.
On top of this I just got in my new Trackspeed Engineering 12 tooth trigger wheel. Much faster ECU sync for quicker starts and higher resolution. It can only improve the new ignition setup.
Iíll wait for everything to come in and update you guys with the progressÖ