Political/Current Events Random, Pics, and Videos Thread - Page 217 - Miata Turbo Forum -Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Current Events, News, Politics Keep the politics here.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #4321
Boost Czar

Thread Starter
iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,138
Total Cats: 1,401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
info dump successful.

they were HAPPY to put that information out.

If you’re going to have scandals (Benghazi) you might as well save the medium size scandals until you can use them to distract from the bigger ones.

Case and Point:

If you go to Drudge right now -

Amount of stories on IRS and AP wiretapping: 17
Amount of stories on Benghazi: 0

Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #4322
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,284
Total Cats: 177
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_G View Post
It actually has not been that quiet. I have seen this one the news atleast 4 times. Red light cameras are a joke. It is so easy to get out of those tickets if you are not retarded.
There is legislation out there now to change the procedure for a red light camera ticket from normal court hearing to a type of mediation where you don't get an actual judge.

I need to get some more info out on that and get some letters written.

Quote:
They are actually not even coming after people who do not pay them because they are making so much money off of those that do that it doesn't matter.
Until you get pulled over for something else, like speeding, and they find out you have a bench warrant for unpaid red light camera tickets.
Scrappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #4323
Boost Czar

Thread Starter
iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,138
Total Cats: 1,401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Jack View Post
There is legislation out there now to change the procedure for a red light camera ticket from normal court hearing to a type of mediation where you don't get an actual judge.

I need to get some more info out on that and get some letters written.
this guy right here:

How to Beat a Photo-Enforced Speeding Ticket (or Red Light Ticket) | Cop Block



Quote:
Until you get pulled over for something else, like speeding, and they find out you have a bench warrant for unpaid red light camera tickets.
Not in OH:
Ohio Appeals Court Forbids Traffic Stop Over Unpaid Parking Tickets
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #4324
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
cordycord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,709
Total Cats: 126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Jack View Post
What are you - trying out for a job as a politician or a writer for the New York Times? "Never let facts get in the way of a good story!"

Tired of spun charts and postulates parading as facts.
cordycord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #4325
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,284
Total Cats: 177
Lightbulb

Braineack - Thanks for the link to the news channel story. I'll try to gather up some of the legistlator's info when I have time. I saw there was an update from the original story that had a number of lawmakers saying they were looking in to it and even one who had already tried to start legislation to make FL revert to Federal standards.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cordycord View Post
Tired of spun charts and postulates parading as facts.
I don't even know what that means. The investment bank that put out the research white paper I mentioned was almost surely a net financial supporter of Romney. More over, I can assure you that the chief economist - who I have spoken to personally on a number of occassions - is not an ardent leftist with some sort of agenda to skew the numbers.

Furthermore, the data is all publically available. That graph I put up you can go and recreate yourself.

Here's some more data that you can ignore:

Congressional Budget Office Updated Budget Projections: Fiscal Years 2013 to 2023

I generally don't put a ton of stock in to projections more than a year out from the CBO because they tend to assume relatively static trends (i.e. that trees grow to space). However, this is significant:
If the current laws that govern federal taxes and spending do not change, the budget deficit will shrink this year to $642 billion, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) estimates, the smallest shortfall since 2008. Relative to the size of the economy, the deficit this year—at
4.0 percent of gross domestic product (GDP)—will be less than half as large as the shortfall in 2009, which was 10.1 percent of GDP
.
They are projecting a fiscal deficit of 2.1% of GDP for fiscal year 2014. I think that's overly optimistic if we get some economic slowdown, but 4-6% seems perfectly reasonable with my assumptions.


All those people selling fear and boom, doom and gloom - telling you to buy gold and silver - and saying that the end of American glory has come, that Obama's welfare state based deficits would grow exponentially forever until hyperinflation crushed the US dollar into dust...

They might be good story tellers, but they are shitty money managers if they are talking their actual book. Too many people living exclusively on the right side of this diagram:

Attached Thumbnails
Political/Current Events Random, Pics, and Videos Thread-500px-belief_venn_diagram.svg.png  
Scrappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #4326
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (6)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,481
Total Cats: 373
Default

Here's something everyone can enjoy:

mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #4327
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,284
Total Cats: 177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Jack View Post
Until you get pulled over for something else, like speeding, and they find out you have a bench warrant for unpaid red light camera tickets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
That article is saying that the police in Dayton, OH had to stop towing people's cars when they had unpaid RLC tickets.

I'm talking about getting pulled over for something unrelated - like speeding, running a different red light in front of a cop, suspicion of DUI, etc. The cop runs your license and finds you have a bench warrant (issued because you never paid your RLC ticket) and then arrests you or impounds your car.

Think: secondary vs primary offense. In FL, I don't think they can pull you over for having a passenger in the front seat without a seatbelt. But, if they pull you over for something else, they can then ticket you for the seatbelt.
Scrappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #4328
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
cordycord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,709
Total Cats: 126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Jack View Post
Braineack - Thanks for the link to the news channel story. I'll try to gather up some of the legistlator's info when I have time. I saw there was an update from the original story that had a number of lawmakers saying they were looking in to it and even one who had already tried to start legislation to make FL revert to Federal standards.




I don't even know what that means. The investment bank that put out the research white paper I mentioned was almost surely a net financial supporter of Romney. More over, I can assure you that the chief economist - who I have spoken to personally on a number of occassions - is not an ardent leftist with some sort of agenda to skew the numbers.

Furthermore, the data is all publically available. That graph I put up you can go and recreate yourself.

Here's some more data that you can ignore:

Congressional Budget Office Updated Budget Projections: Fiscal Years 2013 to 2023

I generally don't put a ton of stock in to projections more than a year out from the CBO because they tend to assume relatively static trends (i.e. that trees grow to space). However, this is significant:
If the current laws that govern federal taxes and spending do not change, the budget deficit will shrink this year to $642 billion, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) estimates, the smallest shortfall since 2008. Relative to the size of the economy, the deficit this year—at
4.0 percent of gross domestic product (GDP)—will be less than half as large as the shortfall in 2009, which was 10.1 percent of GDP
.
They are projecting a fiscal deficit of 2.1% of GDP for fiscal year 2014. I think that's overly optimistic if we get some economic slowdown, but 4-6% seems perfectly reasonable with my assumptions.


All those people selling fear and boom, doom and gloom - telling you to buy gold and silver - and saying that the end of American glory has come, that Obama's welfare state based deficits would grow exponentially forever until hyperinflation crushed the US dollar into dust...

They might be good story tellers, but they are shitty money managers if they are talking their actual book. Too many people living exclusively on the right side of this diagram:

Touch a nerve? I didn't mean that you're trying to snow people...on purpose. Anyone making a chart is trying to make a point, just like you. Problem is, their data points aren't always that good, like your Paul Krugman go to website.

Gold and silver doom and gloom is rubbish, until it's true. Just like the conspiracy theorists who say that the government have it out for them, until they find out that they actually do--for attribution, check any paper today. Remember all the jack-asses who pointed at Fanny/Freddy and said that the housing bubble would ruin the economy? They were dead wrong, until they were right.
cordycord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #4329
Boost Czar

Thread Starter
iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,138
Total Cats: 1,401
Default

my badge is the law:

Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #4330
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,284
Total Cats: 177
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordycord View Post
Touch a nerve? I didn't mean that you're trying to snow people...on purpose. Anyone making a chart is trying to make a point, just like you.
Look, I understand that there are lies, damn lies and statistics. I'm a Skeptic with a capital "S". You are right to question the goals and biases of the person presenting information.

Krugman is a very smart guy who has fallen in to the same trap almost all neoliberal (aka classically trained academic) economists fall into: they start from belief in a prescription and work backward.

I aspire to a totally different, newer class: a da Vinci style of understanding the operations. I don't typically link to Op-Eds or commentary (whether it's WSJ, Blaze, MSNBC or Fox News). I try to link to direct data. All of the charts with the little "FRED" logo are charts I created using publically available data.

I don't have a political agenda. I'm apolitical because politics is all about "what I think people should do." I'm interested in "what is happening." If I have an agenda, it's to better my own understanding and other's. I get paid to make my clients money and I do that with analysis, not advocacy.

People like you frustrate me to no end because of stuff like this:

Quote:
Problem is, their data points aren't always that good, like your Paul Krugman go to website.
So because Paul Krugman finds Calculated Risk to be a good resource for real estate-related analysis, it's junk? Does that mean the dictionary is junk if Krugman or Obama uses it to look up the definition of a word?

Fun fact: Bill McBride (author of Calculated Risk) was an early warner of the US housing bubble and - possibly more importantly - an early caller or the recent turnaround. His analysis is data driven. If Ron Paul cited him as a reference source, it wouldn't make him a Libertarian hack any more than Krugman citing him makes him a Liberal hack.


However, you refusing to even look at or acknowledge the data because of your own political bias makes you as bad as Piers Morgan or Rachel Maddow refusing to acknowledge FBI data on violent crime that run counter to their preconceived notions that guns are bad.

Likewise, dismissing data from the BLS, SSA and Census bureaus because they don't fit whatever story you've been sold is seriously frustrating. Really, I am more frustrated that you are representative of a number of people out there that fit the same mold.

"Never let facts get in the way of a good story."

The worst part is how many engineers and otherwise data-driven people fall in to that defeatist category. Ya'll gonna drive me to drink!





Granted, I'm clearly the bigger idiot for getting frustrated over the same thing with the same person over and over.
Scrappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #4331
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
cordycord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,709
Total Cats: 126
Default you can't win...

Yes Jack, we're talking at cross-purposes. My points are not politically-driven, because I'm rabidly against the Karl Rove wing of the Republican party, and large chunks of people who call themselves "Republicans". Democrats? Who cares. If you're a politician--or want to be one--you suck.

Long story short, these charts don't interest me because on the macro level I disagree with how the government is conducting business, and have been in vehement disagreement with their tactics since the second term of Bush.

When I see charts that show economic "growth", it means very little to me without a corresponding look at monetary devaluation, inflation, energy policy, and the overriding fact (proven over and over) that centralized planning is the worst kind of policy for the people.

So I simply refuse to play the game. It's stupid. At some point it just becomes pointless to "keep score" with charts and graphs, when everything is just so completely ***-backward. Rather play cars...
cordycord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:15 AM   #4332
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
cordycord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,709
Total Cats: 126
Default Benghazi, summed up in a nice, short video

The one word that NEEDS to be used over and over: LIE.

MUST WATCH! The Video That Is Making Jay Carney Curl Up in the Fetal Position... | RedFlagNews.com
cordycord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #4333
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,284
Total Cats: 177
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordycord View Post
So I simply refuse to play the game. It's stupid. At some point it just becomes pointless to "keep score" with charts and graphs, when everything is just so completely ***-backward.
And that's the part that frustrates me and makes me a little bit sad about the people you represent to me: it's this defeatist idea that the world is so terrible they almost cannot believe anything positive at all about the future of America and the rest of the globe.

This idea that no data can be trusted or believed if it does not fit in to the negative story that they have been sold. I'm not trying to say there are not real negatives out there, but refusing to acknowledge that there are a lot of positives is just depressing and defeatist and can have very tangible drawbacks for a person and community.


In addition, this is almost exactly what is wrong with most economists. They start with a story or position or moral believe and then work backwards, ignoring or skipping over any data that doesn't fit their story.

Last edited by Scrappy Jack; 05-16-2013 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Syntax
Scrappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #4334
Boost Czar

Thread Starter
iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,138
Total Cats: 1,401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack
info dump successful.

they were HAPPY to put that information out.

If you’re going to have scandals (Benghazi) you might as well save the medium size scandals until you can use them to distract from the bigger ones.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
Case and Point:

If you go to Drudge right now -

Amount of stories on IRS and AP wiretapping: 17
Amount of stories on Benghazi: 0
Doesn't Obama just look like the hero now? He fired the temporary Acting IRS dude who was going to be out of a job in June anyways (sorta, since he's still going to be in the job for a while). This is planned and staged. He gets to look tough and presidential and like he's going to do something about it. He can't do that about Benghazi. Enjoy Sheeple.
Attached Images
 
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #4335
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The valley in PA
Posts: 35
Total Cats: 0
Default

No surprise there “You never want a serious crisis to go to waste.” Cloward Piven Theory at work.


Now what was the question on the IRS??

Last edited by Louis; 05-16-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #4336
Boost Czar

Thread Starter
iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,138
Total Cats: 1,401
Default

Pretty sad if you start reading the email chains just released:

http://abcnews.go.com/images/Politic...azi-emails.pdf

I like page 63 and 64 the best.

Basically X'ing out all actual info/truth, then an email repsonse: They are fine by me, but pretty sure HPSCI wont like them
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #4337
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
cordycord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,709
Total Cats: 126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Jack View Post
And that's the part that frustrates me and makes me a little bit sad about the people you represent to me: it's this defeatist idea that the world is so terrible they almost cannot believe anything positive at all about the future of America and the rest of the globe.

This idea that no data can be trusted or believed if it does not fit in to the negative story that they have been sold. I'm not trying to say there are not real negatives out there, but refusing to acknowledge that there are a lot of positives is just depressing and defeatist and can have very tangible drawbacks for a person and community.


In addition, this is almost exactly what is wrong with most economists. They start with a story or position or moral believe and then work backwards, ignoring or skipping over any data that doesn't fit their story.
Jack, I'm not being sold ANYTHING, and I don't work backwards or skip economic data.

And what I certainly don't do is cherry-pick data to fit a narrative. THAT is HuffPo and Krugman and the others in a nutshell. So if you think I'm turning my back, THIS CRAP is what I turn my back on. When I do so, I'm directly facing reality. How about you?
cordycord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #4338
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,284
Total Cats: 177
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordycord View Post
Jack, I'm not being sold ANYTHING, and I don't work backwards or skip economic data.

And what I certainly don't do is cherry-pick data to fit a narrative. THAT is HuffPo and Krugman and the others in a nutshell. So if you think I'm turning my back, THIS CRAP is what I turn my back on. When I do so, I'm directly facing reality. How about you?
Now I am just confused. I present a bunch of primary source and public data. I can't remember EVER posting a link to a Krugman op-ed or ANYthing on a HuffingtonPost or related website. I continually, over and over and over, state that my background is apolitical and based on analysis and not advocacy.

I'm not saying you cherry-pick data. You yourself said you just reject any data that doesn't fit your current belief system.

If you think America is going to hell in a socialist handbasket and I present primary source data that shows things aren't that bad or that they are less bad then they were, you say "[...]it just becomes pointless to "keep score" with charts and graphs, when everything is just so completely ***-backward." In other words, you reflexively reject anything that doesn't fit with your preconceived idea of what is going on.


To me, this is like trying to diagnose a handling misbehavior with the Catfish. After a bad off, you've decided it's just an understeering mess and can't be fixed. You're grumpy and despondent. A bunch of mechanics and drivers start throwing out all sorts of ideas of problems that occurred on completely different cars. Some of these guys have experience wrenching and driving; many don't.

Then, a third guy walks up and actually puts the car on the lift, starts taking some measurements and offers a diagnosis of what the current problem is based on that analysis. He doesn't tell you what to change to fix it - after all, how you want it to handle might be different than how another guy might. He just says, "Hey, here is the current situation and here are the measurements I took that verify it."

Your response is to say that his measurements are garbage and you refuse to acknowledge them.


Anyway, I'm sure we're boring Braineack who has a bunch of other stuff to post to make everyone more depressed.


Centralized planning is always and ever "the worst kind of policy for the people."





Attached Thumbnails
Political/Current Events Random, Pics, and Videos Thread-route66road.jpg   Political/Current Events Random, Pics, and Videos Thread-930ffae251a2a647b755bcb2b84bdef4.jpg   Political/Current Events Random, Pics, and Videos Thread-28_autostradaa3.jpg  
Scrappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #4339
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
cordycord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,709
Total Cats: 126
Default allegory

Perhaps a different allegory is in order...

You are the "D&D Dungeonmaster" of a make-believe economic world...and you're good! I'm your older brother, and I walk by your room as you play online with your other middle school buddies.

I smile, for I've discovered girls and cars...yes, a new and larger reality to the one you live in.

Jack, I hope you one day discover girls.
cordycord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #4340
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (6)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,481
Total Cats: 373
Default

YAL GREETS MICHELLE OBAMA WITH TRUTH AT EASTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY COMMENCEMENT

Quote:
First Lady Michelle Obama visited the campus of Eastern Kentucky University on Saturday to deliver the commencement address. She encouraged students to reach out to those with different ideological beliefs, and Young Americans for Liberty at EKU took her advice ahead of time and distributed mock programs highlighting her husband's failure to protect individual liberties and allow economic growth.

The program was designed to look like one that might distributed officially in conjunction with the event. People grabbed the program thinking they might get a preview of what Obama was going to talk about.



Once Obama began speaking, people holding YAL’s programs were shocked to discover that she did not, in fact, touch on how students could become too big to fail.



Obama’s actual speech was much more upbeat than the economic reality the graduates face.



YAL worked with the Leadership Institute to produce the programs.



The event was a huge success, with over 1000 of the programs being distributed to attendees in under half an hour!

YAL’s protest was noticed by the media, including a story run by the Associated Press in newspapers across the country and a local paper.
Attached Thumbnails
Political/Current Events Random, Pics, and Videos Thread-obama_program_page1.png   Political/Current Events Random, Pics, and Videos Thread-obama_program_page2.png   Political/Current Events Random, Pics, and Videos Thread-obama_program_page4.png  
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 52 08-28-2016 05:18 AM
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM
Leaky Wilwoods mx592 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 1 10-01-2015 01:45 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:31 AM.