Political/Current Events Random, Pics, and Videos Thread - Page 335 - Miata Turbo Forum -Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Current Events, News, Politics Keep the politics here.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-14-2016, 05:26 PM   #6681
Moderator
iTrader: (9)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 13,392
Total Cats: 1,015
Default

sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:14 PM   #6682
Junior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Posts: 498
Total Cats: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilicharger665 View Post
The NIST report says only one beam failed in WTC 7. I don't see how the whole building could fall from that.
You should look into how WTC 7 was constructed and why a single column failure could start a sequence of events that brought it down.

The NIST report addresses this question directly (#10): https://www.nist.gov/engineering-lab...-investigation
njn63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:52 PM   #6683
Moderator
iTrader: (9)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 13,392
Total Cats: 1,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njn63 View Post
You should look into how WTC 7 was constructed and why a single column failure could start a sequence of events that brought it down.

The NIST report addresses this question directly (#10): https://www.nist.gov/engineering-lab...-investigation
I reject your facts without looking at them because they don't include Jew bankers, the CIA, the Illuminati, or Monsanto.
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:03 PM   #6684
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 12,184
Total Cats: 748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
I reject your facts without looking at them because they don't include Jew bankers, the CIA, the Illuminati, or Bayer.
Fixed your post, Bayer is buying Monsanto.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:25 PM   #6685
Junior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Posts: 498
Total Cats: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
I reject your facts without looking at them because they don't include Jew bankers, the CIA, the Illuminati, or Monsanto.
I always find it amazing that people will spend 15 minutes watching a youtube video but won't even read the faq from the NIST website.

I find the whole WTC 7 thing kind of a stupid discussion but even I know the building had an odd construction due to being built over a Con Ed substation. The idea that the building could collapse if a certain beam failed (and other beams lost strength due to heat) really doesn't surprise me.

Hell, it's even in the wikipedia:
Quote:
Originally Posted by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_World_Trade_Center
The building was constructed above a Con Edison substation that had been on the site since 1967.[15] The substation had a caisson foundation designed to carry the weight of a future building of 25 stories containing 600,000 sq ft (56,000 m2).[16] The final design for 7 World Trade Center was for a much larger building than originally planned when the substation was built.[17] The structural design of 7 World Trade Center therefore included a system of gravity column transfer trusses and girders, located between floors 5 and 7, to transfer loads to the smaller foundation.[7] Existing caissons installed in 1967 were used, along with new ones, to accommodate the building. The 5th floor functioned as a structural diaphragm, providing lateral stability and distribution of loads between the new and old caissons. Above the 7th floor, the building's structure was a typical tube-frame design, with columns in the core and on the perimeter, and lateral loads resisted by perimeter moment frames.[16]

njn63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:55 PM   #6686
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Ryan_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 2,170
Total Cats: 116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njn63 View Post
I always find it amazing that people will spend 15 minutes watching a youtube video but won't even read the faq from the NIST website.

I find the whole WTC 7 thing kind of a stupid discussion but even I know the building had an odd construction due to being built over a Con Ed substation. The idea that the building could collapse if a certain beam failed (and other beams lost strength due to heat) really doesn't surprise me.
This should not be surprising at all to anyone considering Citi constructed a skyscraper in Manhattan that had a design flaw in it that the engineers and architect missed. A storm would hit New York every 16 years that had WINDS strong enough to simply blow it over like a domino.

Ryan_G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:03 AM   #6687
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,867
Total Cats: 483
Default


And then what the physics say assuming there's no faul play
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:24 AM   #6688
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,867
Total Cats: 483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njn63 View Post
I always find it amazing that people will spend 15 minutes watching a youtube video but won't even read the faq from the NIST website.
Best part is their excuse for not bothering to look for explosive residue or thermite even though the evidence of thermite WAS there.

Why is no one questioning why they took the rubble away as fast as they could and melted everything in a month? We still have evidence from planes that crashed locked in storage but they decided to melt everything as soon as they got it on the truck? That seem right to you guys? Hurray for destroying evidence along with all the records of big cases such as the one against Enron.
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:10 AM   #6689
Boost Czar

Thread Starter
iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,100
Total Cats: 1,400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple88a View Post
Hurray for destroying evidence along with all the records of big cases such as the one against Enron.
Oh it's so abundantly clear now!

Next time I hire Osama Bin Laden (WHERE"S HIS BODY?!?!?!) to train a bunch of Muslim terrorists to fly planes into buildings so i can shred a few documents in a neighboring building, I'll make sure the strategically placed thermite I placed around the structure the day before makes the building fall a little less obvious. I'll do some computer modeling of how Hillary collapses and use that as my guide.
Braineack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:49 AM   #6690
Moderator
iTrader: (9)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 13,392
Total Cats: 1,015
Default

If you have people placing thermite AND explosive charges all over both buildings why even bother with plans involving airliners? The hijacking plans have a significantly higher risk of failure and make no sense if you could simply frame terrorists for setting explosives and also thermite, which are two different things. Airliners AND demolition adds an unnecessary layer of difficulty which is redundant and significantly more implausible.

I'm sure I just convinced you because you aren't already locked into your opinion and are willing to consider other options.
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:54 AM   #6691
Boost Czar

Thread Starter
iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,100
Total Cats: 1,400
Default


advice from an impartial judge to rape victim:

why didnt you just move your bottom to avoid penetration?


advice from an impartial judge to rapist:

i want you to tell your male friends that they need to be more gentle and patent with woman and be careful to protect themselves.
young women want to have sex.
sometimes sex and pain go together, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Braineack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:31 PM   #6692
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,867
Total Cats: 483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
If you have people placing thermite AND explosive charges all over both buildings why even bother with plans involving airliners? The hijacking plans have a significantly higher risk of failure and make no sense if you could simply frame terrorists for setting explosives and also thermite, which are two different things. Airliners AND demolition adds an unnecessary layer of difficulty which is redundant and significantly more implausible.

I'm sure I just convinced you because you aren't already locked into your opinion and are willing to consider other options.
Because its so much easier to get into iraq when you say they did it. How else are we suppose to get their oil?

triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:43 PM   #6693
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,009
Total Cats: 42
Default

Don't forget we had to get back into Afghanistan to restore poppy production as well.
z31maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:56 PM   #6694
Moderator
iTrader: (9)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 13,392
Total Cats: 1,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple88a View Post
Because its so much easier to get into iraq when you say they did it. How else are we suppose to get their oil?

Good thing we took their oil.

Oh, wait. We didn't.
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:05 PM   #6695
Elite Member
 
Chiburbian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilberts, IL
Posts: 1,950
Total Cats: 106
Default

What year is it?

EDIT: I can't speak to the objective truth, but this article seems plausible: http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/19/opinio...ar-oil-juhasz/

But no, we didn't literally take their oil... They have still have it and are selling it. It's just multinational corporations doing the work or organizing everything.
Chiburbian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:09 PM   #6696
Moderator
iTrader: (9)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 13,392
Total Cats: 1,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiburbian View Post
They have still have it and are selling it. It's just multinational corporations doing the work or organizing everything.
So, just like before we went there. Got it.
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:14 PM   #6697
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,645
Total Cats: 1,562
Default

There are two possibilities here, Six.

A: Certain individuals are deliberately trolling the thread, and / or

B: The same people have a desperate need to ascribe overly-complicated explanations to apparently simple problems, and are thus unlikely to be persuaded by factual discussion.

Either way, the "don't feed the troll" rule would seem to apply. If someone wants to try to convince me that the earth is flat, fine. I'm not happy about the fact that Congress has granted them the same voting rights as you & I, but that's not a problem likely to be resolved by spirited debate on a cat-and-car forum.
Joe Perez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:15 PM   #6698
Elite Member
 
Chiburbian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilberts, IL
Posts: 1,950
Total Cats: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
So, just like before we went there. Got it.
According the article I linked (or perhaps one I read before that one) the Iraqi oil fields were owned by the state before we removed Saddam.
Chiburbian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:25 PM   #6699
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,645
Total Cats: 1,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiburbian View Post
According the article I linked (or perhaps one I read before that one) the Iraqi oil fields were owned by the state before we removed Saddam.
And now that we have removed Saddam, Iraq's oil fields continue to be owned by the state.

This is the customary model in most nations, where the oil itself is considered to be a national asset, and its extraction is performed either by the state, by a national corporation which is owned by the state, or under contract by private companies under license by the state.
Joe Perez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:47 PM   #6700
Elite Member
 
Chiburbian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilberts, IL
Posts: 1,950
Total Cats: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
And now that we have removed Saddam, Iraq's oil fields continue to be owned by the state.

This is the customary model in most nations, where the oil itself is considered to be a national asset, and its extraction is performed either by the state, by a national corporation which is owned by the state, or under contract by private companies under license by the state.
Sorry, misunderstanding on my part.

EDIT: Now that I have a minute free to expound, all of the above is true, but what the article argues is that before the war the corporations did not have "access" to the oil before the war and as a result of the war they do. That is all I am saying, and my reasoning is as a result of that ONE source (because I honestly don't care enough about the issue to go any further). I and the article could be wrong and I am sure there are a multitude of factors at play. It just seems to me that while we may have not gone to war singularly for oil, it was in the interests of corporate interests who have a lot of pull on government power. (same with the defense industry).

I also want to add, I am not someone who is damning corporations as a concept. I am not one of those people.

Last edited by Chiburbian; 09-16-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Chiburbian is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 52 08-28-2016 05:18 AM
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM
Leaky Wilwoods mx592 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 1 10-01-2015 01:45 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:40 AM.