Preface this with a big thanks to Emilio @ 949 Racing for his help in acquiring parts, and Alex @ 2ndChanceRoadsters for help with parts and body work (to say the least.)
About 2 years ago I picked up this:
Originally I was going to try and create a high mileage commuter car but...
There were a few 25 hour races to win, National Championships on the line, and more cars to build.
And so I never felt like working on my own car. I just drove it, wracking up some 60,000 miles in those 2 years. Along the way I acquired a bunch of parts, a wrecked 2005, and then I got this:
A nearly perfect 1992, automatic tub. So few dents on it. But then I did this to it:
For a mere $1900, I had every last bit of paint, seam sealing, and sound deadening removed. Which meant that I had to add it all back, and Mazda puts that stuff in places that you can't reach. And it looked like someone had stood on the rear part of the car (right behind the top) leaving some big dents. They had also lifted the car from spots that bent under the weight. But I tried to get it resealed and primed. I had it seam welded. I put structural foam in the frame rails. But in the end I was not making good progress on it and set it aside.
In the mean time the daily driver was getting tired. It now has 290,000 miles and I decided that I would make it the project car... since it still has paint and seam filler in all the critical ares.
So I stripped it and sent it out to for paint and body work.
The body shop stripped the paint... not me.
This hole serves no purpose these days, hole delete.
Ready for paint.
In the mean time I was busy.
ABS unit donated when I upgraded someone's car to an NB unit.
And now let the mods begin.