Yet Another Gun Thread - Page 68 - Miata Turbo Forum -Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #1341
AFM Crusader
iTrader: (18)
 
olderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wayne, NJ
Posts: 4,275
Total Cats: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnavy View Post
Hmmm... so they sent him the wrong gun? Sounds like an easy mistake to fix... call customer service and politely explain what happened, then send it back? How hard can it be?

But since it's a gun, and he's a douche, he makes a rage-filled Youtube video? I'm pretty sure that no matter how badly I felt screwed by a company over any product at any price, that I could never get to the point emotionally where a screaming and cursing Youtube video became an option. Way to show the world what you're made of... you know?
I would wonder at his ability to control his emotions with the gun in hand
olderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #1342
Antisaint
iTrader: (17)
 
Vashthestampede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 4,637
Total Cats: 45
Default

The guy I sold the oil tank to the other day came to pick it up and when we were loading it into his truck I saw his holster pop out. All I could think about was I could totally unclip the gun before the fat ---- could even take a breath.

I think there's a certain type of person that carries a gun with them. You're probably 100% out of shape, cant fight for ---- and are afraid that for some reason or another something BAD could happen at any moment and YOU having a gun will keep you safe. lol

Keeping them in the house is not a bad idea at all. Even in the car I guess isn't a bad idea either. But strapped up on a daily basis? That means your a paranoid nutcase that's just looking for a reason to shoot someone.
Vashthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #1343
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,165
Total Cats: 18
Default

No it doesn't. Many people CC, and the last thing they want is to shoot somebody.
gearhead_318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #1344
AFM Crusader
iTrader: (18)
 
olderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wayne, NJ
Posts: 4,275
Total Cats: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead_318 View Post
No it doesn't. Many people CC, and the last thing they want is to shoot somebody.
Except maybe the guy in the video.
olderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #1345
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
pusha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 7,363
Total Cats: -28
Default

Yo Vash, you live in Leaveittobeaverville, NOT the hood like I do. People get clapped errday near my spot.
pusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #1346
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Taos, New mexico
Posts: 5,662
Total Cats: 227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashthestampede View Post
The guy I sold the oil tank to the other day came to pick it up and when we were loading it into his truck I saw his holster pop out. All I could think about was I could totally unclip the gun before the fat ---- could even take a breath.

I think there's a certain type of person that carries a gun with them. You're probably 100% out of shape, cant fight for ---- and are afraid that for some reason or another something BAD could happen at any moment and YOU having a gun will keep you safe. lol

Keeping them in the house is not a bad idea at all. Even in the car I guess isn't a bad idea either. But strapped up on a daily basis? That means your a paranoid nutcase that's just looking for a reason to shoot someone.
Meh, I disagree. I don't CC or anything (open carry only) - but I always bring one with me for a few different occasions. Firstly, any craigslist/internet meetup where I'm selling/buying expensive items. I always have one in my car when I drive to the city(i live in the mountains, the "city" is about 2.5 hours away). Anytime I'm hiking/bushwhacking through the mountains. Or if I'm mountain biking more than a few miles into the hills, mountain lions and bears are a real threat.

Anyways to illustrate my point, I'm well in shape and I'm a very active person. I'm not a fat ---- by any means at all. I also would never want to kill a person, ever. That would be one of the worst things that could happen to me - if i had to shoot someone it would be hard to go on with life.
Fireindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #1347
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,165
Total Cats: 18
Default

Then why carry a gun at all if your not willing to use it?
gearhead_318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #1348
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (6)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,490
Total Cats: 373
Default

That's not what he said.
mgeoffriau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #1349
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Taos, New mexico
Posts: 5,662
Total Cats: 227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead_318 View Post
Then why carry a gun at all if your not willing to use it?
I wouldn't carry a gun if i wasn't willing to use it. I just was trying to express how much it would suck if I had to, not everyone who carries wants an excuse to shoot someone.
Fireindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:46 AM   #1350
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
samnavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Posts: 5,839
Total Cats: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashthestampede View Post
I think there's a certain type of person that carries a gun with them. You're probably 100% out of shape, cant fight for ---- and are afraid that for some reason or another something BAD could happen at any moment and YOU having a gun will keep you safe. lol

But strapped up on a daily basis? That means your a paranoid nutcase that's just looking for a reason to shoot someone.
Your argument is one from somebody who wants to play fair. You want the world to be a safe place, and when ---- happens, you want people to play by rules. Are you naive enough to think that if you are the victim of a violent crime, that you'll play by the rules? Your attacker won't.

Do you believe that nothing bad will ever happen to you? And if it does, your fists will be a 100% solution? And that you won't carry a gun because you're in shape and can fight so you don't need to? And that there is no way a gun could ever give you an advantage or serve a role in prolonging your life?

So why would you ever want to fight? I for one hope that I never have to fight anybody ever. Somebody who wants to fight me is probably not interested in getting shot, so when threatened by a "fighter" and feeling that somebody is about to kill me, why the hell would I want to play by whatever rules that guy sets down? I'd rather run like hell, or not having an escape, draw a firearm and play by my rules.

You're an idiot if you think that people who CCW do it because they can't fight or are paranoid or want to shoot somebody. What about my wife and kids? You think they should stand up to a rapist/mugger and fight with their fists? They sure will, but why let it get that far? You think I should fight a guy while my kids watch and when I get my *** kicked, he takes off with them to Mexico? What planet do you live on that you think stuff like this doesn't happen every damn day... and why? Is it because they weren't carrying a gun, or because they weren't paranoid, or both? Does it matter, because they're still just as raped or killed.

A gun for protection is a tool. If used correctly, a gun is an immediate solver of an immediate problem, nothing more. Fighting a guy who wants to kill me, rape my wife, or take my kids is just plain retarded.

You've probably never done any homework or given CCW serious thought. You figure you're a badass and badguys either won't mess with you, or you're tougher than them, or you're so good that you avoid all danger at all times. You'll never be taken by surprise, and you'll always have tons of options... and the bad guy will always play by your rules.

Some day you might get your *** kicked. Some day you might "teach a guy a lesson" who was messing with you. And someday, somebody who is messing with you might kill you when you try to fight him and he pulls a gun. Why would you ever want to fight?

If anything, CCW makes you a little paranoid about doing anything that would attract the attention of somebody who would do you harm. In some ways, carrying a gun does make YOU safer in the sense that it makes you very averse to starting or allowing somebody to start ---- with you.

If you think that relying on your expert fighting skillz when a truly violent person is trying to do true violence on you, then you're a fool. Carry a gun, use it as a tool that has a specific purpose, and live a long time.
samnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #1351
Miotta FTW!
iTrader: (24)
 
Splitime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,217
Total Cats: 21
Default

I like turtles.

I also dislike waiting for things to be delivered to my FFL.
Splitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #1352
Antisaint
iTrader: (17)
 
Vashthestampede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 4,637
Total Cats: 45
Default

Honestly, I was only being partially serious.

I know there's good reason to have a gun nearby when you have a family and I completely agree with that. When I'm settled down with a wife and have kids you can sure as ---- bet that I'll be thinking those same things Sam.

Pusha, as far as "leaveittobeaverville", that's up the road from me. I'm by no means in the ghetto. As a matter of fact, I'd say the closest "ghetto" near here is in NY state. CT has wannabe thug neighborhoods all over (just like any state), but its not necessarily to the same degree. I live up in the country, so rather than dealing with thugs or punks I'm dealing with country folk and I'm pretty certain that the majority of them carry. Where our shop is, that's a little different. That's where I become the minority. Lots of brazilians/portuguese and from what I've learned over the years, they like them some guns and knives too.

This is America guys. Not a 3rd world country. I'd like to think the average Joe can walk down the block to get a sammich and not get robbed/raped/shot at/etc. Now if your mixed up with the wrong people than that's a different story. If you hang around in the bad part of town on purpose, then maybe your the bad guy. Ever think about that?

I have no real beef with anyone that carries to protect themselves or thier family. Its the ones that carry to compensate for the little ----- in their pants. Those are the ones that flash them around like its something to brag about. Then its not really a secret anymore now is it?

Really though, I didnt mean to lump everyone as a "fat ----" that couldn't take a swing to save their life.

Pusha, you say you live a hard knock life. How do your homies like them boat shoes and sweater vests you wear when you go out "gang bangin". Just because you have a vast collection of firearms and have gone hunting abroad with daddy doesn't mean diddly dick.
Vashthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #1353
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: seabrook nh
Posts: 397
Total Cats: 0
Default

anyone here have their FFL or has a friend who runs a kitchen table FFL?
bayside blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #1354
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,669
Total Cats: 36
Default

Got a Mosin. Man is it beat up. Reasonably accurate though. Even with my crap eye sight and marksmanship I cant hit a pop bottle at 75 years standing up. Probably the cheapest way to have a deer gun.

Sidenote: Most cops are required to carry off-duty AFAIK. Thats not for no reason.
Sparetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #1355
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: seabrook nh
Posts: 397
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparetire View Post
Got a Mosin. Man is it beat up. Reasonably accurate though. Even with my crap eye sight and marksmanship I cant hit a pop bottle at 75 years standing up. Probably the cheapest way to have a deer gun.

Sidenote: Most cops are required to carry off-duty AFAIK. Thats not for no reason.
Nice. I pick up my mosin on Wednesday.. But mine isn't beat up, it was actually in good condition
bayside blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:10 AM   #1356
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
TorqueZombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lebanon, TN
Posts: 1,617
Total Cats: 62
Default

Anyone know anything about "ROSSI" guns. Not buying one. Father in law just passed away and he has 2. Just trying to go through his small gun cabinet and figure out what he's got. All but a taurus or 2 are going to his son and want to be somewhat informed. Not a gun nut, more of an poor enthusist. The ROSSI looks like a knock off Taurus. Both are double action revolvers no rifles. Just curious if anyone knows of issues they have.

Also there is a double barrel 12g and a single shot 20g I have no idea what are. No real markings or anything. I'll post pics if the local gun store can't ID them maybe one of you guys might know.
TorqueZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #1357
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
pusha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 7,363
Total Cats: -28
Default

Rossi firearms can be hit or miss. I wish I could elaborate more but I know from experience that their revolvers leave something to be desired (as a copy of a copy would).
pusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #1358
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Taos, New mexico
Posts: 5,662
Total Cats: 227
Default

So I'm building a budget AR for this year to do some bushwhacking with, etc up in the mountains here. I don't want top notch ---- at all, just something that fires reliably, is pretty lightweight, and cheap enough i dont care when i scratch it up and get it dirty.

Now that said, what do you guys think about Del-Ton upper receivers?

Componants include a pre-ban style ( with lug and birdcage comp ) DTI 16" 1x9 twist chrome moly M4 barrel, flat weaver type upper ( ready to accept all industry std carry handles, mounts, etc. ) bolt and carrier assembly
charging handle, forward sling swivel, and CAR handguards

Theres a few other uppers I was looking at, but after reading reviews on as many forums as I can, it seems these guys have a good rep for buildling reliable cheap AR's.


NOW, what about lowers. What is a good cheap lower to go with this upper? I was originally thinking DPMS or something of the sort. I also came across "PCM" or Plum Crazy Fireamrs composite lowers. Reading reviews for these I get mixed feelings, anyone have experience?
Fireindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #1359
Miotta FTW!
iTrader: (24)
 
Splitime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,217
Total Cats: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireindc View Post
So I'm building a budget AR for this year to do some bushwhacking with, etc up in the mountains here. I don't want top notch ---- at all, just something that fires reliably, is pretty lightweight, and cheap enough i dont care when i scratch it up and get it dirty.

Now that said, what do you guys think about Del-Ton upper receivers?

Componants include a pre-ban style ( with lug and birdcage comp ) DTI 16" 1x9 twist chrome moly M4 barrel, flat weaver type upper ( ready to accept all industry std carry handles, mounts, etc. ) bolt and carrier assembly
charging handle, forward sling swivel, and CAR handguards

Theres a few other uppers I was looking at, but after reading reviews on as many forums as I can, it seems these guys have a good rep for buildling reliable cheap AR's.


NOW, what about lowers. What is a good cheap lower to go with this upper? I was originally thinking DPMS or something of the sort. I also came across "PCM" or Plum Crazy Fireamrs composite lowers. Reading reviews for these I get mixed feelings, anyone have experience?
From my understanding, you can basically do a metal based lower for about the same price as the Plum Crazy stuff. I've seen quite mixed reviews on them and would just prefer to stay metal for the price.
Splitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #1360
Junior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 277
Total Cats: 24
Default

What is the budget for your AR? I was considering building one, but was able to find a new M&P 15 Sport for $600. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...HS3cjqVUEbOdfA

I would have had more into a Palmetto State Armory or Del-Ton parts kit.
RussellT94 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
My solution for Oiltemp and Oilpressure input into Megasuirt (MS3) Zaphod MEGAsquirt 41 01-24-2016 01:25 PM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM
Leaky Wilwoods mx592 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 1 10-01-2015 01:45 AM


Tags
trump 2016

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:35 PM.